Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Insuring and taxing second-hand car
SteveWalker

posted on 22/7/16 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Out of interest. As we are now dealing with someone only 40 miles away, we went and test drove the car, came home and are going back to pick it up. I contacted Directline at 8:30 this morning and updated my insurance, they emailed a copy of the certificate to me within 15 minutes, but 5 hours later, the MID hasn't been updated. If I'd been 200 miles from home, seeing the car and wanting to buy it immediately, I'd still be unable to tax it.
coyoteboy

posted on 22/7/16 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
You don't have to have it insured to tax it online?

ChrissyDai

posted on 22/7/16 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Insurance companies have up to 128 hours to notify and updates to the MID, but more often than not its done within 72 hours. However, if you have the V5 there will be a number on it and you will be able to set up a D/D on your phone from the side of the road! If you have a receipt, an email from the DVLA to say your tax is successful and insurance agreed over the phone you will be right as rain!

I deal with about 15 SBP calls a week (stopped by police) where the police are checking if the car is insured, and 14 out of the 15 times it is!!

If you need any help, drop me a message and I'll be more than happy to help

SteveWalker

posted on 22/7/16 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
If it has not yet made it onto the insurance database and therefore shows as uninsured, how can you tax it?
cliftyhanger

posted on 23/7/16 at 06:04 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think they check the MID database.
The last 2 cars we have bought we did the tax and insurance at purchase, the sellers were trade and they got the tax stuff up on their puters while I did insurance on the phone. I then popped my details in the puter and all done in 5 mins (plus phone queue time....)

On another note, just sold 2 of our fleet.
Yiou do not have to send the V5 off anymore, if you go online to cancel the tax, they ask a series of Q's and that triggers the change of ownership.

I would hesitate to not transfer ownership immediately.
What if new owner tears off and gets speeding tickets or worse on the way home? you are still the vehicle keeper. I keep the V5 now (punters filled in all necessary details and signs) PLUS I put a time of sale on it. Cancel via website, and keep the old V5 until I am certain I will have no comeback. Old days I kept a photocopy/scan.

SteveWalker

posted on 23/7/16 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
I don't think they check the MID database.
The last 2 cars we have bought we did the tax and insurance at purchase, the sellers were trade and they got the tax stuff up on their puters while I did insurance on the phone. I then popped my details in the puter and all done in 5 mins (plus phone queue time....)

My understanding is that when buying from a trader, they can tax the car, as long as they have seen proof of insurance from you. When buying in a private sale, you have to tax the car yourself and the online or phone system does check the database.

I've just found another daft anomaly. You can tax using a monthly DD, but not if the previous "owner" had it through the Motability scheme. As they did not have to pay their tax and that is on the DVLA system, you have to change the info by taxing at a post-office and must pay up front for 6 or 12 months. Why can't the online system deal with that simple change.

coyoteboy

posted on 25/7/16 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
I believe the tax folk dropped the requirement for insurance at time of taxing at the same time as they dropped the tax disc?
I didn't need proof of it to tax my new (used) car a couple of weeks back?

morcus

posted on 25/7/16 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
You still have to have insurance to have Tax on a car but they now use that continuous enforcement system which flags up any cars that have tax but don't have insurance and send you out a fine.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.