Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: hydraulic clutch went to floor, why?
02GF74

posted on 8/8/16 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
hydraulic clutch went to floor, why?

Volvo 850 manual with hydraulic clutch.

Drive to norfolk yesterday, hot day, maybe 26c and was in queue of stop, move 2m, stop type traffic.

10 mins of this, put foot on clutch and it sinks without any resistance to the floor. Couldnt engage gear so lifted bonnet, nothing obviously wrong, brake reserviour level ok (i believe clutch shares the fluid).

Vet back in, depress clutch few more times, possibly pressed brake pedal, start engine and clutch bacm to nornal. No problems for the next 150 miles.

So wtf happened?

Im guessing got a vapour in clutch pipe that then cleared itself. But why, never happened before. Or is it sign seals are failing in master or slave cylinders?

[Edited on 8/8/16 by 02GF74]

theconrodkid

posted on 8/8/16 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
prolly the fluid has boiled,when was the last time it was changed ?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

SteveWalker

posted on 8/8/16 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Whatever it was, I'd either want to find out or replace anything that it might have been. Years ago, a friend was driving his heavily modified Mini in stop start traffic when the same thing happened to him - except that he was coming to a stop, not setting off and went into the back of the car in front.
r1_pete

posted on 8/8/16 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Flexible hoses could be balooning with the heat, maybe pumping the brake moved enough fluid to cool it...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 8/8/16 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like it could be a dodgy master cylinder ? I've had similar problems in the past during hot weather
adithorp

posted on 8/8/16 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Sounds like it could be a dodgy master cylinder ? I've had similar problems in the past during hot weather

Sounds like it to me. It'll probably not do it again until you a) forget about it, and b) are somewhere critical.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

nick205

posted on 9/8/16 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
I'd get a cost for replacing the master cylinder and the fluid - probably not that pricey and would provide some piece of mind. I've opted to replace brake fluid every 2 years in various cars and it does make a difference to the feel and performance of the brakes.

Slimy38

posted on 9/8/16 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
My Toledo did exactly the same going round West Midlands safari park. I was in neutral and couldn't get into gear. Once I got the car cooled down and then moving, it recovered. I changed the fluid that weekend (the old stuff was more like pond water than brake fluid), and it was fine up until I sold the car.
axle

posted on 9/8/16 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
strip MC clean everything with methylated spirit if all look OK assemble with fresh the fluid , but the seals could well passed their best!

Regards Axle

IVA passed 1st time thanks to the Forum members.

coyoteboy

posted on 9/8/16 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
My 370z did this a while back, after a bit of clutch abuse. I put it down to boiled clutch fluid due to the concentric slave being right on top of the clutch. Never done it since, but likewise I should flush the fluid.

Look out for fluid leaks from clutch just in case.

nick205

posted on 12/8/16 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
You may already be a member, but could a Volvo forum provide any info...

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/

nero1701

posted on 14/8/16 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
I have a FN2 Civic type R, I had the clutch release bearing break a few weeks back, so, as I was going to be in there, i changed the whole clutch, pressure plate and release bearing.

Went on holiday a couple of weeks later so had only done a few miles.

Came back from holiday and had surgery a couple days after so couldn't drive.

Get in the car bout a week and a half later (cars been laid up totalof 18-20 days) and its a bit 'notchy' changing gears. within 30 miles, clutch to the floor, presumed perhaps i hadn't bled it properly, re bled.. 30 miles later, clutch to the floor?

Disconnected the slave and had my mate operat clutch..slave hardly moved..replaced slave..

30 miles later...Clutch to the floor.....AA called....

Turns out there was a leak in the Clutch hydraulic damper...

£25 for a hose to be made to bypass the bugger!!

when it arrives ill let you know how i get on!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.