Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Spare Car Keys?
ReMan

posted on 24/8/16 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Spare Car Keys?

Here's an interesting one for the LCB'ers.

I have in my possession, LEGITIMATLY, a whole bunch of second hand car key fobs.
These are mainly VW , Ford and Volvo

Before I put them into the electronic waste stream, or take out a few of the button batteries to keep my own key fob going for years, does any one have any thoughts as to any other legitimate use or outlet for them?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Slimy38

posted on 24/8/16 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
I know at least the VW ones are quite valuable, and can be programmed to suit a good portion of VAG cars so will go very well on Ebay. I think Ford fobs can also be programmed to cars, not sure about Volvo's.

[Edited on 24/8/16 by Slimy38]

BenB

posted on 24/8/16 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
I think those keys have the flip out key bit. On my renault megane I only had one keycard- the emergency manual key was held inside the keycard (it also served to hold the battery in place). I bought a spare one and swapped the manual keys- that way if I ever locked the keycard inside the car I'd have the keycard (which actually didn't work as such) at home with the spare key in.

Some plonker on Ebay advertised one for £1 with a text saying how they don't work if you buy them for a car other than your own and then got all annoyed when I bought it

nick205

posted on 25/8/16 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I know at least the VW ones are quite valuable, and can be programmed to suit a good portion of VAG cars so will go very well on Ebay. I think Ford fobs can also be programmed to cars, not sure about Volvo's.

[Edited on 24/8/16 by Slimy38]

From experience the VAG ones can be re-programmed to suit different cars. It's a main dealer task and carries a cost, but does make the keys saleable on eBay. I know this after losing one for a company Passat I had a few years ago. I bought a 2nd hand key on eBay for £10, but never had it re-programmed. The car lease company never tested it and seemed perfectly happy to have 2 keys returned with the car when it went back. Other car makes can't be much different - they all tend to follow the same path.

ReMan

posted on 25/8/16 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
OK Thanks guys
So is there any identifiers in the Key?
Would it be possible to identify the car it belonged to?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

SJ

posted on 25/8/16 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Modern Ford fobs can easily be programmed on the car.
nick205

posted on 25/8/16 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
OK Thanks guys
So is there any identifiers in the Key?
Would it be possible to identify the car it belonged to?

I'm not aware of anything on the VAG keys, but there may be something you can eRead from them.

A call to a VAG main dealer may shed some light on how they do it.

ETA...thinking further I can't remember the last time I replaced a key fob battery - there may be some form of identification inside the fob.

[Edited on 25/8/16 by nick205]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.