Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VW Touran 1.9 TDI S - no spare wheel
nick205

posted on 26/8/16 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
VW Touran 1.9 TDI S - no spare wheel

Hi All,

Recently acquired a 57 plate VW Touran 1.9 TDI S. It's a good car and with 3 kids we need the 7 seat option.

Having had a number of cars (including several VAG ones) it's the first I've had that doesn't have a spare wheel, just a can or foam and an air pump that runs off the cars 12V system. Even though I'm fairly practical myself the car is my wife's and I'm often not in it. Having had punctures before the availability of a spare wheel is usually a quick and easy method of getting on the move again. I fear the foam and pump approach (whilst weight saving) is not as good and may often simply not work.

I know other car manufacturers take the same approach and wonder what other people's practical experience of the system is?

Thanks,
Nick

r1_pete

posted on 26/8/16 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Daughters Fiesta was the same, I bought here a spare wheel and jack kit.

1st MOT the tester said he would have had to fail it if it hadn't had the spare, as the gloop has an expiry date, which he said was a fail.

Plus, once you use the gloop in the tyre its scrap and needs replacing, no one will repair them even if it was repairable pre gloop.

My Mrs since got a new Impreza, again no spare, or wheel well, so she has a space saver now sat in the boot, mind you the dealer did give it us on threat of pulling out of the purchase.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 26/8/16 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
1st MOT the tester said he would have had to fail it if it hadn't had the spare, as the gloop has an expiry date, which he said was a fail.

Sounds like the local village lost it's idiot and you found him in an MOT centre

The MOT manual doesn't mention anything about spare tyres or tyre sealant as neither are testable items.

nick205

posted on 26/8/16 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Daughters Fiesta was the same, I bought here a spare wheel and jack kit.

Plus, once you use the gloop in the tyre its scrap and needs replacing, no one will repair them even if it was repairable pre gloop.

My Mrs since got a new Impreza, again no spare, or wheel well, so she has a space saver now sat in the boot, mind you the dealer did give it us on threat of pulling out of the purchase.

Thanks. Wasn't aware of possible MoT issues, but my garage next door to work can advise on this. I'd expect the manufacturers (VAG included) to be aware of any country legalities before they go down this route - could well be wrong though!

The Touran seems to have a jack in the boot, but no spare wheel well in the floor pan or I too would look for a spare wheel to fit.

I am aware of the post gloop tyre replacement issue - repair not an option. I understand the reasons for this, but it does seem daft to render what may be a repairable tyre scrap in one move.

I appreciate the weight saving measures, I'm all for improved MPG. However making a motorists life harder, more dangerous and potentially more costly seems a bad move to me.

BenB

posted on 26/8/16 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Often a spare tyre is of no use- either the puncture happens in a place it would be dangerous to change (motorway) or the nuts have been done up by a grease monkey with a rattle gun.... so realistically a reasonable proportion of the time a recovery service would be called out anyway....

My tintop car has the foam can and pump and although initially it bothered me it really doesn't now. One less tyre to get replaced every now and again also!

r1_pete

posted on 26/8/16 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

Sounds like the local village lost it's idiot and you found him in an MOT centre

The MOT manual doesn't mention anything about spare tyres or tyre sealant as neither are testable items.

Yes I've had similar said since, but they're a good bunch at the local garage we use, and as I'm for having a spare, I didn't bother challenging him.

We take the cars there for service and MOT at the same time, they always ring about repairs, and save any parts removed to show me, most importantly their work is good and prices fair.

Back to the gloop vs spare, with the number of bits of broken road spring you see, and the general state of the roads, a big split is as likely as a puncture, I know which I'd rather have in the boot in case of a split tyre

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 26/8/16 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Agreed - for me a spare wheel with tyre is a better (and safer) solution to get you moving again.

ETA...reading the AA website is states that a spare wheel/trye doesn't have to be legal if stowed, but must be legal if fitted.

How can you carry an illegal spare, which you may have to fit?

The AA website also highlights that many new cars don't have a spare wheel/tyre, just a foam/pump repair kit. It also highlights that many new cars can have a spare wheel/tyre supplied as a cost option, but may not have a stowage location.

[Edited on 26/8/16 by nick205]http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/legal-advice/tyres.html

[Edited on 26/8/16 by nick205]

gremlin1234

posted on 26/8/16 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
the mot says this about spare wheels/tyres, section 4.1
quote:
"This inspection applies to tyres fitted to the road wheels only. The vehicle presenter should be informed when it is noticed that there is a defective tyre on a spare wheel."

owelly

posted on 26/8/16 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Breakdown card. As long as you have the manufacturers recommend puncture solution and it's servicable, then breakdown companies will attend.
However, if it's not servicable, they may charge you. So if you have a spare wheel, it has to be legal and suitable for the vehicle. Any goop needs to be usable.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

02GF74

posted on 26/8/16 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
No need to mess, just AA.

...but if you want wifey to change wheel, then go round the bolts/nuts so they are torqued correctly not wound in by windy gun by tyre people so that it needs 6ft scafolding pole to undo.

morcus

posted on 26/8/16 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a space saver in my Focus and still long for a full size spare (So that should you have to use it you can actually travel normally), space savers are dangerous in the hands of the general public because too many people use them outside they're operating conditions and that's not counting the people who get hit by other cars putting them on in dangerous places.

Other have said it before but I'll say it again, get breakdown cover and if you get a puncture make them recover the car.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

adamswifty

posted on 27/8/16 at 06:08 AM Reply With Quote
We had a Touran, got a puncture on the way to the lakes, middle of nowhere, no phone signal and of course the foam can didn't work as the tire had a rip in it. Had all the family in the car plus dog, it was going dark, not a good situation. I freewheeled the car down the hill very slowly and luckily we found a pub about two miles down. I always carried a spare wheel in the boot after that, however annoying loosing the boot space was!

[Edited on 27/8/16 by adamswifty]

[Edited on 27/8/16 by adamswifty]

nick205

posted on 28/8/16 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Have to admit to being rather upset about the lack of spare wheel - a shortfall in my view. Since there's no where to even store a spare wheel in the car I've purchased breakdown cover for the wife and I. £25 for the year and covers us in other cars as well.

Unhappy, but I don't really see another option. An issue I will discuss with my local VAG dealer to highlight the annoyance.

Ninehigh

posted on 28/8/16 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Am I just lucky that I've had maybe two punctures in my life?

Bluemoon

posted on 28/8/16 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh

Yes or not driven for many years... Seem to get on just after packing car for holiday....

mcerd1

posted on 29/8/16 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
my c-max was built with a space saver (checked fords ETIS), I've got service records for checking it too, but when I got it all I could find was a can of foam with the wrong adaptor/hose and a doggy aftermarket 12v pump

sometime in the 2 years before I got it the spare had been nicked for another car (probably the same garage that removed the light bub from the boot to stop it draining the battery when they leave it open all day every day)

unfortunately the full size wheels wouldn't fit under the floor
luckily all these ford use the same one so I got a space saver with the jack etc from a mondeo for £25 (still can't figure out what bit I'm missing to attach the jack too floor, but I've got the important bits at least)

as I did with the last car I've collected a set of 4 full size spare wheels which will have my all season/winter tyres on them, these will also double as my spares so that the space saver is only for limping home.

quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
quote:

Yes or not driven for many years... Seem to get on just after packing car for holiday....

I used to get at least 3 a year and still get one every other year at least usually just after getting new tyres - nearly always a nail, but roofing bolts are quite common too

I work next to a builders merchant, 2 different builders yards and the council skips - at least the council sweep the road a bit more these days....

-

mcerd1

posted on 29/8/16 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I've heard that one a lot too

but the decent tyre place I use will clean them and repair them (for 2 to 3 time the money due to the hassle) most places are far more interested in selling you a new tyre...

even without the gloop alot of places refuse to repair perfectly good tyres in order to sell you a new one (personally I know of several cases were farmers and quickfit in particular have done this)

in fact in some cases even when the puncture is right at the edge they can still be repaired - although this a more expensive (about 2x) and the need sent away for the repair ( 1 - 2 weeks) so you have to have a tyre thats worth it

-

nick205

posted on 30/8/16 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Lucky I'd say - I've had punctures on every car I've owned and some more then one. Nails, Allen keys, kerbs, pot holes etc they all take their toll and leave you with a flat tyre. Not being scared to get dirty and change a wheel I've not found it an issue, more an irritation.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.