Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Taking payment for a car sold abroad
lsdweb

posted on 12/9/16 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
Taking payment for a car sold abroad

Hi All

I've probably sold my Striker to a guy from Belgium. We've agreed to meet at Folkestone to do the exchange (he's paying my costs), I did fancy a trip with it to Belgium but the thought of taking a part built car and a pile of bits through Customs was a bit scary!

He's paying a deposit via Paypal today (hence the 'probably sold' ) and wants to either pay me in Euros or via Paypal when we meet.

I don't want to lose out on exchange rates etc. so thought I'd ask the collective here for advice.

Ta

Wyn

[Edited on 12/9/16 by lsdweb]

angliamotorsport

posted on 12/9/16 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
When I sold my Mallock to someone in Holland, he paid for the car and ferry fare via bank transfer.
gaz_gaz

posted on 12/9/16 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
I've sold 3 cars to European buyers now.
Twice by bank transfer and the 3rd was payment in euros.
There is a fair priced Bureau de Change 5 or 6 minutes from the port. I went there with the buyer and changed the money over to sterling ensuring we both paid and received what was agreed.
Always enjoyed selling cars to European. Never any hassle or haggling and always friendly..

Good luck

lsdweb

posted on 12/9/16 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys

Gary - I had thought about using the Bureau de Change and that seems like the best idea. Driving home with an empty trailer and a wad of cash is dangerous though!

Regards

Wyn

Mopple

posted on 12/9/16 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
An other possibility would be to use TransferWise or some other similar modern payment platform. The transaction fees are much better than PayPal, transactions are quick and comfortable.
loggyboy

posted on 12/9/16 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Dont use paypal - they can issue refunds without your consent. (they call them charge backs)
Cash or bank transfer only.

Mistral Motorsport

swanny

posted on 12/9/16 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
same as angliamotorsport here, car ought by a dealer in holland. he paid for ferry crossing as cargo, sent money over the day before and then we dropped it off on the ferry and he collected at the other end.
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 12/9/16 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Bank transfer is safest I assume if he's only Paid a deposit he could look at it and change his mind ! When I sold my striker to a French dealer he paided me the full amount bank transfer and picked it up a week later don't use PayPal as its expensive and it can be refunded cash or bank transfer only is safest
lsdweb

posted on 13/9/16 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the assistance!

He's bringing cash (GBP) and the deposit is large enough to more than cover my costs of getting there and back,although it was paid by paypal.

Regards

Wyn

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.