Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car tax change history
Slimy38

posted on 20/10/16 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Car tax change history

I'm currently looking at a new car (a Saab this time round) but I'm aware that I might be screwing myself in terms of tax. The car is 235 g/km, which puts it in the £500+ category for annual tax. It would be 2003 or younger, so it's definitely on emissions rather than just engine size.

But I also vaguely remember that cars of a certain age have an upper limit imposed. I've found a date of the 23rd of March 2006, is that the date that I need to be mindful of? Does anyone know what I'm waffling on about?

fishywick

posted on 20/10/16 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, you are correct, this link shows it.....VED Rates

£295 for cars with a CO2 figure over 225g/km but were registered before 23 March 2006.

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/10/16 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
if you think the road tax is bad, wait till you see how fast SAAB's go through fuel, you have been warned...

The DLVA site is quite clear on the rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 20/10/16 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
We have a 2004 SAAB 9-5 estate, road tax is £295.
theconrodkid

posted on 20/10/16 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
I had a 95,loverly car but it went wrong more than my alfa.
do a lot of reading on the SAAB forums befro commiting is my advice.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/10/16 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
yip, I had a 900 & a 9000 both were decent cars but wtf with the fuel costs!!! even driving gently I'd get mid 20's mpg! my toilet block shaped old landy can do better LOL

Warned one of guys at my work not to buy a 9-3 cos they are so thirsty (didn't listen)...we ran out of fuel going to Asda at lunch time and had to walk 3 miles to work to get my car and buy some petrol

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 20/10/16 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
On our 4th SAAB, 3 9-5's and a 9-3. Got to around 130,000 miles on the 5's and 265,000 on the 3
The best was a 9-5 Aero Estate 260BHP, 24mpg around town, 36 long distance, about the same MPG as the 3.
I also have a Jaguar S-Type 3 litre, but the SAAB is the car of choice

Slimy38

posted on 20/10/16 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
I'm currently driving a 2 litre mondeo that requires full throttle to get to 80, so I'm no stranger to fuel un-economy! It'll be mostly business miles anyway so I get to claim it back.

It's the 9-3 I'm considering, there are a range of faults as with any old car but they don't seem insurmountable. And I quite like the idea of 225bhp for a handful of fivers...

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/10/16 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
personally I much prefer the Volvo's, their quite a bit better on the fuel and the performance is great. Safety is obviously very good even on older cars. They also don't hold their value at all well so are cheap to buy seriously luxury cars totally loaded with toys. You'll never get over 200bhp and good fuel economy sadly.
40inches

posted on 20/10/16 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I'm currently driving a 2 litre mondeo that requires full throttle to get to 80, so I'm no stranger to fuel un-economy! It'll be mostly business miles anyway so I get to claim it back.

It's the 9-3 I'm considering, there are a range of faults as with any old car but they don't seem insurmountable. And I quite like the idea of 225bhp for a handful of fivers...

My favourite was the 9-5 Aero, the wifes the 9-3, because of the physical size and with 220 BHP gave the Aero a run for it's money
My philosophy is that, because SAAB's are so cheap to buy, the fuel economy is offset
I should also add that all the economical cars we have owned have been BORING, not something you could level at the SAAB.

[Edited on 20-10-16 by 40inches]

Schrodinger

posted on 20/10/16 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 2011 1.9ttid 93 which is supposed to return 70mpg but does more like 50 but only costs £30 per year to tax.

Keith
Aviemore

Slimy38

posted on 20/10/16 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
You'll never get over 200bhp and good fuel economy sadly.

Yup, and I think it's about time I thought about enjoyment rather than saving the planet!

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
My philosophy is that, because SAAB's are so cheap to buy, the fuel economy is offset

Absolutely, I'm thinking up to 2K will get me a 2005, maybe even a soft top if I see a nice one

quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger
I have a 2011 1.9ttid 93 which is supposed to return 70mpg but does more like 50 but only costs £30 per year to tax.

I've been warned off the diesels, apart from the purchase price premium they don't seem as sturdy as the petrol cars. And the nature of my work wouldn't really suit a diesel.

rdodger

posted on 20/10/16 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
We have been running a 1996 9-3 2.0T Estate for the last 4 years and 50,000 miles.

In that time it's only required a crank sensor apart from tyres, brakes and servicing.

£500 road tax is a wee take but it was cheap and has been brilliant.

It averages around 30mpg on a commute.

Slimy38

posted on 20/10/16 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rdodger
We have been running a 1996 9-3 2.0T Estate for the last 4 years and 50,000 miles.

In that time it's only required a crank sensor apart from tyres, brakes and servicing.

So not only do you own the kitcar that I want, you also own the tintop that I want!!!

rdodger

posted on 20/10/16 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by rdodger

So not only do you own the kitcar that I want, you also own the tintop that I want!!!

Unfortunately I sold the Thruxton in May

The guy that bought it sold it on again a couple of weeks ago.

[Edited on 20/10/16 by rdodger]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.