Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Does anybody know this car?
Jasmcauley

posted on 26/12/16 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Does anybody know this car?

My friend is thinking of going to look at the below, I've done a bit of searching and I can see that it was built by a college tutor, but not much else.
I don't know much about the chassis set up.

A brief spec

First of all, the chassis originally is a dutton chassis, bought complete with V5 and VIN plates attached to prove. Then the rear was converted to house a ford rear differential and independent double wish bones, (theys are fully adjustable). The front double wish bone suspension is wider then standard and completely adjustable (camber, caster & toe).

It has a c20xe 2.0 litre red top engine from a low mileage 1990 Astra gte.
Completely reconditioned engine, with new big & main bearing and piston rings.

The fuel is supplied by Yamaha R1 bike carbs & pipercross filter.
The ignition system is a ford DIS system married to a fully re-mappable mega jolt system. It has a USB plug, tucked under the passenger dash, to plug into a laptop for re-mapping.

Type 9 Box

The body panels are constructed from strengthened rolled aluminium riveted at 25mm intervals and bonded to the chassis

Any help or info greatly appreciated

www.plant-i.co.uk
GPS tracking security

slingshot2000

posted on 26/12/16 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Your friend should be VERY careful with car, as I cannot see a single part of it that could make me think it is a Dutton.
Ringer or not, it cannot have been correctly registered and will very likely not have been IVAed.

Jasmcauley

posted on 26/12/16 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the heads up,

What do you mean it won't have been correctly IVAd?

www.plant-i.co.uk
GPS tracking security

Jasmcauley

posted on 26/12/16 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Ignore me, I re read the post.

Correct me if I am wrong, It would appear it is living its life on Dutton v5

What kit would you say it is?

www.plant-i.co.uk
GPS tracking security

coozer

posted on 26/12/16 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Just looks like whoever has bought a Dutton for peanuts and used the v5 on that car to avoid paying for iva/sva..

Its the totally wrong shape for a Dutton IMO, looks like a locost or an mk...

If you get a copper who knows what a Dutton looks like your in trouble and the insurance company will shake their heads as well...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

CosKev3

posted on 26/12/16 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
There was a thread a couple of months ago about this car
loggyboy

posted on 26/12/16 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasmcauley
thanks for the heads up,

What do you mean it won't have been correctly IVAd?

Not correctly IVAd is unintentionally misleading, not IVAd at all is most likely.
What's happend is some one has brought an aging Dutton cheap, then added the plates (and probably the VIN) to a new chassis/car that has never been checked or approved.
The main problems with that:

-Technically its a ringer (another cars ID swapped to another)
-its never been properly checked over by a official body (if it's been on road for a few years his is less of an issue as its likely to have had any teething problens ironed out.)
-insurance might get funny cone pay out time (although kitcars are niche enough to have little back up on what they should or shouldn't be called or designed)
-resales to those in know make it harder to sell on.

[Edited on 26-12-16 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

femster87

posted on 26/12/16 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like a gbs zero bodywork
Jasmcauley

posted on 26/12/16 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like an early MK.

big thanks all, Jamie is gutted, but I think it's best that we avoid this one for so many reasons.

Looks a nice car, but it shouldn't be on the road

www.plant-i.co.uk
GPS tracking security

sdh2903

posted on 26/12/16 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Wise choice
perksy

posted on 27/12/16 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
As others have said, Its NOT a Dutton and is incorrectly registered

There will always be other cars, Just keep looking at the right one will come along

Gord

posted on 28/12/16 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
This is also on a FB page, the owner apparently bought it and had not realised the consequences of it being registered as the donor vehicle.
Apparently he is going to get it IVA'd properly now.

kingster996

posted on 28/12/16 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gord
This is also on a FB page, the owner apparently bought it and had not realised the consequences of it being registered as the donor vehicle.
Apparently he is going to get it IVA'd properly now.

Sadly the owner was conned as the only "donor" component would have been the VIN number!

Amazes me that people are so gullible, but I guess some things look like a bargain and then only come to light when get lumbered with a problem when selling it on - especially after spending money on upgrades. Fortunately the OP was not so gullible and asked on here first!

Also amazes me that people go to the effort of building one only to ring it - surely the old SVA wasn't that expensive and even an IVA isn't that difficult (done that)

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

mark chandler

posted on 29/12/16 at 03:28 AM Reply With Quote
It was common practice 30 years ago to register against the donor, even if the only parts used were the triumph front uprights, these type of cars also morph as engines get swapped out etc. Look at older cobra replica's as an example.

Not saying it's right but no need to get in such a sweat about these things, if the price allows you to put through IVA and you are still on top what's the big issue?

Jasmcauley

posted on 29/12/16 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Calm yourself, nobody is sweating.
The car shouldn't be on the road. And at the original asking price of 7500 I think it's fair that people know what they are buying. If they then want to take the gamble, that is their choice

www.plant-i.co.uk
GPS tracking security

SCAR

posted on 29/12/16 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
"Not saying it's right but no need to get in such a sweat about these things, if the price allows you to put through IVA and you are still on top what's the big issue?"

I think there is a big issue
Its running on the wrong identity so presumably has no valid paperwork, you have to question if its stolen? How would you prove you had bought it? Any receipt would say you've bought a Dutton (as shown on the v5) What would you declare it to be on any insurance? Would that insurance be valid?

If it gets picked up running with the Dutton plates legally it could be confiscated and crushed.

Can a car be put through Iva with no build information/receipts or donor v5?

The reason people get "in a sweat" is because potentially there is a major deception involved here which could result in some innocent party sustaining a huge financial loss and another kick to the reputation of kit built cars.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.