Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: buying engine off ebay - was run on lpg
02GF74

posted on 19/1/17 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
buying engine off ebay - was run on lpg

in brief, friend needs new engine; found one on ebay for £ 350 that has 80 k miles and was run on lpg.

1. so is running on lpg any worse for wearing an engine compared to petrol?
2. it may be a while for it to be fitted (muggins here be doing that ) so won't know if it is a good 'un until then - remind me what is the time limit after purchase date for raising a dispute if it turns out bad?
3. any way to tell without taking it apart to check for any problems? (other than turning it over, looking at cam lobe wear, looking down spark plugs holes - I think answer is no).
4. anyone in Watford area wanna help????"??

I'm aware that replacement engines with a couple months warranty are available for about £ 1k but the car is worth around that so needs to be done on the cheap.

ReMan

posted on 19/1/17 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
in brief, friend needs new engine; found one on ebay for £ 350 that has 80 k miles and was run on lpg.

1. so is running on lpg any worse for wearing an engine compared to petrol?
2. it may be a while for it to be fitted (muggins here be doing that ) so won't know if it is a good 'un until then - remind me what is the time limit after purchase date for raising a dispute if it turns out bad?
3. any way to tell without taking it apart to check for any problems? (other than turning it over, looking at cam lobe wear, looking down spark plugs holes - I think answer is no).
4. anyone in Watford area wanna help????"??

I'm aware that replacement engines with a couple months warranty are available for about £ 1k but the car is worth around that so needs to be done on the cheap.

Iirc, The main issue , provided it was run properly, is likely to be valve seat wear, but in this day and age even that's less likesly, since unleaded.
As far as buying , at this level its at your risk, unless he's selling it as a new engine, you'd get nowhere on not as described IMHO. The loveliness of ebay on a shoestring

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

r1_pete

posted on 19/1/17 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
A few things you could do:

a cylinder leak down test.

a peer in the bores with a boroscope - very cheap these days...

look inside the rocker / cam cover for evidence of regular oil changes, or any mayo....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 19/1/17 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on the engine, but most these days run hardened seats to cope with lack of lubrication as mentioned. Worth a leakdown test on any engine though, shows up potential problems with both valve seats and rings so win win.

hughpinder

posted on 19/1/17 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
I ran 2 cars on lpg - a honda civic for 217,000 miles - no issues at all, and a subarulecacy 2.5 for about 80,000.
I had a problem with the piston rings on the subaru where the cylinders were still pressure tight, but passed oil, so it started to burn large quantities of oil towards the end. I did get into discussion with someone who worked for the subaru works team for a while and he said they had the same problem, but didnt know why.

I think most people have not had any great issues running on it.
Regards
Hugh

Oddified

posted on 19/1/17 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
As mentioned above, valve seat recession could be an issue on some older type engines, generally not on anything new ish since unleaded. In general the wear on the rest of the engine will be lower than one run only on petrol because there's minimal particulates dumped in the oil, most oil will still look like new at the regular oil changes.

Ian

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.