Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Javelin Sprint Series
mark chandler

posted on 23/1/17 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
9 - Safety Equipment
9.1 – All participants are required to have their arms and legs covered when in the vehicle, flameproof overalls are mandatory for single seater vehicles but strongly recommended for all participants. We recommend participants avoid wearing synthetic fabrics where possible.
9.2 – Harnesses must be fitted according to the manufacturer’s instructions and must be in a good, safe condition. Harnesses must be worn correctly by the driver.
9.3 – Helmets must be suitable for the activity and in a good, safe condition. Helmets with protruding chins are not permitted.
9.4 – Drivers of any open top/removably roof vehicles are permitted to wear full face helmets only and must have a visor.

So no for this series, however it is your body, your wife and your children that will suffer if you have a big off....

Decent leathers are fine, I recon a HANS and decent harness is worthwhile

daniel mason

posted on 23/1/17 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
I liked doing trackdays when I started out but I wasn't the fastest and was always worried about hitting someone else or them hitting me.
As soon as I got into sprinting and hillclimbing i felt I really found my feet and could push the car far harder than I ever did on track.and the buzz you get from doing 100mph up a 10'wide hill is absolutely epic!
While i do agree with Andy in the fact that circuit racing would be better.i personally don't have the finances to circuit race a single seater,and I wouldn't want to race something which lacked the performance

[Edited on 23/1/17 by daniel mason]

jeffw

posted on 23/1/17 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
quote:

Do you need all the suit, HANS amd jazz if you enter this Javelin sprint series?

I have boots and gloves but use jeans and a bike jacket for track days. Also my harness I'd well out of date.

No is the simple answer. You need the same level of equipment as a trackday as a minimum. I would advise that you get the rest as it isn't that expensive as there are bargains out there, you don't even need in-date harness for road-going classes in MSA sprints.

Andy D

posted on 23/1/17 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

While i do agree with Andy in the fact that circuit racing would be better.i personally don't have the finances to circuit race a single seater,and I wouldn't want to race something which lacked the performance

I kid you not Dan.. some of the trackdays I've done with mates have been so close to racing.. who says you cant give 100% on a trackday? At the end of the day we know who is fastest.. there's no need for a clock. That's where I am I suppose.. I see trrackdays as being much closer to racing than sprinting, so why would I want to pootle round (part of) a circuit on my own?

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 23/1/17 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
I'm booked in for Snettetton, interested to see how the Javelin series works. I'm the only class S car booked in so far by the looks of it.

Since I've started competing in sprints and hillclimbs, trackdays have just become incredibly dull. I used to think they were ace but without proper competition it's just driving round in circles.

[Edited on 23/1/17 by Doctor Derek Doctors]

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
daniel mason

posted on 23/1/17 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
Again it's all personal choice. Even if I was allowed a single seater on a track day (which I'm not) I'd be stuck in traffic all day as the performance difference is just on another level.
I would love to race,and learn how to properly overtake and proper race craft.but I just don't have the finances. The only way for me to get out In a very fast car,and to go as quick is to sprint

jeffw

posted on 24/1/17 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy D
I kid you not Dan.. some of the trackdays I've done with mates have been so close to racing.. who says you cant give 100% on a trackday? At the end of the day we know who is fastest.. there's no need for a clock. That's where I am I suppose.. I see trrackdays as being much closer to racing than sprinting, so why would I want to pootle round (part of) a circuit on my own?

But trackdays are not racing, you are only allowed to overtake by consent, no overtaking in braking areas or corners so if you are 'racing' on a trackday you're breaking the TDOs rules.

Andy D

posted on 24/1/17 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

But trackdays are not racing, you are only allowed to overtake by consent, no overtaking in braking areas or corners so if you are 'racing' on a trackday you're breaking the TDOs rules.

Ha ha, I wondered who'd try and pull that particular chestnut from the bag! I said Close to racing.. far far closer in my opinion than a sprint.

Each to their own though, I know I won't win this race.

daniel mason

posted on 24/1/17 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
I think Jeff meant that to give it 100% on a track day.like you say you do.would mean diving up the inside under braking etc which would be against the rules.
You obviously can go 100% some of the time but I sprinting you have to go 100% all the time or you'll be at the back end of the class.
I like both.and if I ever went back to a 7 or a radical again I'd probably do a few track days myself

jeffw

posted on 24/1/17 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Andy, if you are happy being fastest in a small pool of your mates, happy days. If you want to compare yourself against the great and the good.....come sprinting

daniel mason

posted on 24/1/17 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Andy can peddle a car Jeff. And his son certainly can
Andy D

posted on 24/1/17 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Ha ha, ... resisting the urge to bite...
bi22le

posted on 24/1/17 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Well I quite fancy it. I don't think 2017 is going to be the year though. Due to me biting of more than I can chew and not having time to swallow it all ill be lucky to drive the car before summer.

I would like to tune the changes im making this year and get along to spectate a couple of events before doing one. Maybe I'll make 2017s mission to prepare to sprint in 2018!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Jon Ison

posted on 24/1/17 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Another lurker here, looked at the regs when announced, may give it a whirl
daniel mason

posted on 24/1/17 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
You'll love it jon. Let me know which ones you do and I'll enter one and have a catch up
Jon Ison

posted on 24/1/17 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
I would need to treat myself to a set of tyres, I look what's about from time to time 2nd hand, what's the current must haves?
daniel mason

posted on 24/1/17 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
Slicks for us.not sure if your allowed slicks in other classes
jeffw

posted on 25/1/17 at 06:30 AM Reply With Quote
F1 is allowed slicks (and non E marked tyres). All other classes are Road Legal tyres as far as I'm aware (A1 might be slicks as well)

jelly head

posted on 25/1/17 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Dan; bit off topic but how do you find running a single seater?

Would you recommend it vs say a seven or tin top?

What are the running costs like, do they take much maintenance?

Thanks

daniel mason

posted on 25/1/17 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Grand total of zero maintainance cost on the jedi.
That would be my choice.i you can find one with an older R1 they seem to be very cheap and reliable.obviously it won't quite have the pace of a modern 1000cc car. But I did well in mine considering it had around 140bhp. It set some great times and beat some very exotic cars along the way.
Regularly in the top 5 overall and some fastest overall times times as well.
Performance is astonishing

theduck

posted on 25/1/17 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
F1 is allowed slicks (and non E marked tyres). All other classes are Road Legal tyres as far as I'm aware (A1 might be slicks as well)

Regs seem to say you can run them in lower subclasses but may be moved up a subclass if you are deemed to be gaining an advantage by running non emarked tyres.

jeffw

posted on 25/1/17 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty sure if you turned up with A15 Avon Slicks you'd get moved. I'd stick with List 1b type tyres (R888, R888R, Avon ZZS etc) but you might get away with Avon ZZR in sprint compound or Kumho V70 in soft compound.

jelly head

posted on 25/1/17 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that Dan, i've been pondering a single seater for a while but wasn't sure how much effort it takes to run one.

Apart from scraping the crap of the tyres and putting fuel in it do you do much tinkering at events?

Is it just a matter of trial and error with setting up the wings or is it just maximum downforce everywhere?

I've seen a few 600s for sale and wondered if that might be a good starter class?

Sorry for the questions, just interested as i've always run tin tops.

daniel mason

posted on 25/1/17 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Pm me for any info you need.
I mess around with damper settings between runs ifrom I'm not happy with it and sometimes adjust the front wing.i usually leave the rear wing when I've got it somewhere near and never ran at maximum wing angles as then drag plays a part.in ran much less wing than most but was faster through the speed traps at every event,even with the old r1 in the back.
Everyone else in class was 30- 40 bhp up on me but mine handled sweet as a nut.

Jon Ison

posted on 25/1/17 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
Pretty sure if you turned up with A15 Avon Slicks you'd get moved. I'd stick with List 1b type tyres (R888, R888R, Avon ZZS etc) but you might get away with Avon ZZR in sprint compound or Kumho V70 in soft compound.

Where could you be moved from F1? Getting more tempted but reading the regs I would guess/assume all F1 runners are on slicks?

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.