Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car Transportation
Jonb_5

posted on 22/9/17 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Car Transportation

Hi,
I am looking at purchasing a car which would need transporting from York to Devon, can anyone recommend any good companies that might be willing to undertake this job?
Many Thanks
Jon

shindha

posted on 22/9/17 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
try Shiply Shiply
ianhurley20

posted on 22/9/17 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shindha
try Shiply Shiply

2nd that one - got a series land rover from s.wales to norfolk for £180 which I thought was very good

martinnitram

posted on 22/9/17 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
You can hire car transporter trailers for about £50 a day, have you got a towbar.
They usually come with built in winch and tilting bed for easy loading.

ianhurley20

posted on 22/9/17 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martinnitram
You can hire car transporter trailers for about £50 a day, have you got a towbar.

You have got to be really careful with weights if you hire a trailer. For IVA I hired one. It was a really nice trailer with a tilt bed and really low load height which made loading easy. I have the correct driving licence to tow trailers (+E, I think).
My car was a Citroen C4 which could tow up to 1.3 tonnes. I took my car to IVA and when it was weighed I realised that the ULW of the trailer plus my car was only 10 kg under the max allowed for my car. Phew! I was at a VOSA test station with a car and trailer that was only a few pounds away from the max I was allowed to tow with my car!
These trailers weigh about 700kgs + unladen! - be careful!

sonic

posted on 23/9/17 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
With regards to trailer towing, it has got nothing to do with what the physical weight of the trailer plus the car being towed is.

It is what is stated on the trailer plate as gross carrying capacity, example if the trailer plate says 2200Kgs and your towing car has a gross towing figure of 1600 kgs it is illegal even if the trailer is empty!

I know from experience as I tow a horse trailer behind a Volvo XC60 rated at 1800kgs, the trailer was rated at 2200 kgs and I had to take it back to the trailer manufacturer to have the plate derated down to 1800kgs.

Not a lot of people know that and a lot of people are towing illegal thus potentially voiding insurance plus prosecution if they have an accident

martinnitram

posted on 23/9/17 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/weight-and-width-limits

If in any doubt to your vehicles towing capacity its all here ^^

Gross train weight is the key.

David Jenkins

posted on 24/9/17 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
My car was a Citroen C4 which could tow up to 1.3 tonnes. I took my car to IVA and when it was weighed I realised that the ULW of the trailer plus my car was only 10 kg under the max allowed for my car. Phew! I was at a VOSA test station with a car and trailer that was only a few pounds away from the max I was allowed to tow with my car!

When I took my Locost to its SVA (as it was then) I borrowed a car trailer and towed the whole lot with a Yaris. Worked out later that I was 10 or so Kg over the limit - at a VOSA test station...
They were checking out an overloaded van while I was there - mind you, its tyres were squashed and the wheels about 5 degrees off vertical, it was so heavy! It was also a battered and ratty old tub, so they would probably have pulled it in even without the overloading...

martinnitram

posted on 28/9/17 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
quote:
Originally posted by martinnitram

You have got to be really careful with weights if you hire a trailer. For IVA I hired one. It was a really nice trailer with a tilt bed and really low load height which made loading easy. I have the correct driving licence to tow trailers (+E, I think).

Yes goes without saying, tow your trailer with a decent tow vehicle that's up to the job !!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.