Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hole or no hole ??
nick-york

posted on 3/1/18 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hole or no hole ??

Hi all .ive just had a new starter motor fitted on the van this morning which is bad enough news just after Christmas. But I noticed this morning that the steering seemed a bit heavier than normal .And on the way home I stopped to check under the bonnet and there was what I suspect to be power steering fluid everywhere and there seemed to be a small hole in the top of the filler cap and it was spraying out of the top ! So should the cap have a hole in the top or not please ?or anybody know what the problem might be please ? It's a 2007 2l diesel vauxhall vivaro .Thanks.
daviep

posted on 3/1/18 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
I have no experience with Vauxhall Vivaro, however I'd imagine the power steering system is vented through a hole in the cap.

Was any of the power steering system removed to fit the starter? Does the fluid look normal or is aerated? Only suggestion I can think of is that a slack connection is allowing air to be drawn in to the system.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

nick-york

posted on 3/1/18 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
I have no experience with Vauxhall Vivaro, however I'd imagine the power steering system is vented through a hole in the cap.

Was any of the power steering system removed to fit the starter? Does the fluid look normal or is aerated? Only suggestion I can think of is that a slack connection is allowing air to be drawn in to the system.

Cheers
Davie
hi Davie .I think the steering was a bit heavy on the way to get the starter motor fitted .I know that the front end of the van between the lights and including the lights was removed but not sure if any of the power steering had to be moved .It can't of been leaking before it was in the garage because I was there when the front end was taken off and it was completely dry .It's a bit baffling ! It was a bit aerated but it was sort of spraying / foaming out of the top .So maybe a loose connection or maybe a hole or crack in a hose ? Thanks.

r1_pete

posted on 3/1/18 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a trapped hose preventing a full circuit of fluid, I’d start by checking all hose runs.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 4/1/18 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
the caps have holes in them to breath, even if they are not visible

my guess is one or more of the pumps vanes has become jammed and is allowing oil to be forced back up the inlet to the bottle. I've opened them up before and found the vanes stuck in their slots and needing cleaned (they just slide out), not much to the pumps and no springs to force the vanes down other than the centrifugal force as the rotor turns. Their super basic really.

I'd recommend taking off the pump and opening the back casing and cleaning the vanes, you should then have normal steering. Below is what the generally look like inside -

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mistergrumpy

posted on 4/1/18 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
If it helps:
Same as yours

nick-york

posted on 4/1/18 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
If it helps:
Same as yours
lol I read all that last night when I googled the problem ! Sounds exactly same as me .ive arranged to take the van to a couple of garages tomorrow for them to look at and give me quotes .

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.