Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Another bucket list item ticked off.....
pewe

posted on 15/3/18 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Another bucket list item ticked off.....

Since I was a kid and tooled around Brum in my mate's Sunbeam Tiger (put 3 gallons in and run out 30 miles later!) I've always wanted a V8.
Finally realised that yesterday when I picked up my "new" 08 plated Beemer 550i SE Touring.
For the price of a new Dacia, Skoda, Hyundai soap-box it's fully loaded, a total pleasure to drive and produces a sound-track to die for - and it goes like a scalded cat.
The last owner bought it from the same trader, spent a shed-load refreshing it until 2 months into ownership his missus decided she didn't like it!!
His loss my gain....
After collecting it a run back to Reading from Wantage across the Downs confirmed that a mere tickle of the throttle means silly speeds.
TBH I've never really been a BMW fan (dyed-in-the-wool SAAB addict for the last 16 years) but you need to move on and I now get what Beemers are about.
Thought I just share those thoughts.
Cheers, Pewe10
PS if I can fathom how to I'll post a couple of pics.
PPS Same day I test-drove the BM took an Audi S6 out. Again not a huge amount for that much grunt but what a beast and that's the cooking version! Chris your welcome to your RS6 can't imagine what that must be like.
I do gather from someone who owns one long term that he pays extended warranty but it still costs him c.£5k a year to run - may have something to do with the fact he uses it for track-days!

[Edited on 15/3/18 by pewe]

[Edited on 15/3/18 by pewe]

nick205

posted on 15/3/18 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds rather pleasing

Never been a BMW fan myself. Probably a generalisation, but usually found them to be driven by people who think you should simply not be in their way. A brother-in-law is a big BMW fan and swears by them.

It'd be nice to see some photos if you can get them posted!

joneh

posted on 15/3/18 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Good to get things ticked off the bucket list.

Just the Fun House twins left!

pewe

posted on 15/3/18 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Sounds rather pleasing

Never been a BMW fan myself. Probably a generalisation, but usually found them to be driven by people who think you should simply not be in their way. A brother-in-law is a big BMW fan and swears by them.

It'd be nice to see some photos if you can get them posted!

Been in touch with tech support, aka No2 son, about pics so watch this space...
Agree about stereotyping BMW drivers - same with Audi drivers (sorry Chris) but there again there are planks driving all sorts of cars.
Interestingly I did notice some drivers being very wary of above 70mph -on the M4 on the way back.

motivforz

posted on 15/3/18 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in Wantage too, will have to meet up for a beer at some point... I've seen a couple of kits around in passing.
theconrodkid

posted on 15/3/18 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
well done, i joined the V8 club when fuel was a lot cheaper, got tugged in a Tiger and have always been a beemer fan....enjoy

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Tazzzzman1

posted on 15/3/18 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Enjoy mate.
I too joined the V8 club last year when I bought a 2012 5.5litre SLK55 AMG ....What a sound track even better when the tops down

MPG is low single figures when using the heavy foot on the go fast peddle, but 30ish when cruising. But who cares...its frighteningly mad, its fun and it loud
Now just waiting for some drier weather to get the roof down again

[Edited on 15/3/18 by Tazzzzman1]

[Edited on 15/3/18 by Tazzzzman1]

craigdiver

posted on 15/3/18 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
great choice - epic engines, however, I was under the impression the 550 was a V10 or was that the M5?

If it ain't broken, fix it anyway (just because).

Building - BMW powered Haynes Roadster/442E hybrid.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

TimC

posted on 15/3/18 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Nice - Alpina B5 Touring is on my Lotto-list.

ReMan

posted on 15/3/18 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent do enjoy
I to need a V8, never owned one, so it will be done, not sure what in yet.
I bought the Porsche to tick a box and similarly , I love the flying pace where the 7 runs out at 90 the porch and I am sure the Beeme are just getting their legs

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

pewe

posted on 28/3/18 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
So the 550i adventure was short-lived and serves as a warning to all car buyers - even those long-in-the-tooth.
Driving from Reading to Stansted last week I was aware of a front end shimmy.
Nothing too drastic but just like a rough road surface though the road wasn't rough.
I decided to put it into our local BMW Indie for the inspection which I was tempted to do before I bought it. - benefit of hind sight and all that!
However in my own mind buying from a Trader did give me some reassurance..
So the Indie rang me that afternoon with a list of "faults" about as long as your arm!!
It needed a new steering rack c.£2500, both front wheels (as in rims) were flat spotted, the power steering reservoir was leaking, there was oil leaking from the engine through the centre of the oil pressure switch, various bushes were worn, rear brake pipes perishing and the rear self leveling sensor was held on by zip-ties etc. etc.
The thing which I can't get my head around is how you flat-spot both rims other than hitting a kerb at speed at right angles. It also beggared the question as to what else suffered as a result of that hit.
Sad really as body-wise it was stunning and it went like a scalded cat.
Whilst I didn't expect a ten year old car with 101k miles on the clock to be perfect I reckon my SAAB 9-5 with 167k has fewer faults.
Long story short - car's now returned to the Trader and my money is somewhere on its way back to my Bank account.
Cars and women - can't live with them, can't live without them!
Cheers, Pewe10

SJ

posted on 28/3/18 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Assuming your cash finds its way back to your bank account this sounds like a lucky escape!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.