Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recommend me a prop shaft manufacturer
Markymark

posted on 10/4/18 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Recommend me a prop shaft manufacturer

Hi all

Looking to get the prop shaft made for the Fury and was wondering Bailey Morris or D&F?

Reasons for either, good or bad appreciated.

As a by the by, my engine/gearbox is offset to the N/S by approx 5 deg, is this going to be a problem? One company thought it was the other didn't

I know the Fury was designed with a slight offset (especially the V8) but mine is worse (possibly), so they could shoe horn the Alfa lump in and still give me room to put my feet. It's only 345mm long as well.

As always, thank you in advance for your thoughts and knowledge

Cheers

Mark

CTLeeds

posted on 10/4/18 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
I asked both firms for a quote for my BMW engined car. Bailey morris did a CAD drawing for me and then refused to make it as the centreing pin on the gearbox output shaft wasn't present and that the torque would be taken up by the bolts alone. D&F said they were talking boll*cks and were happy to make it at about half the price of Bailey Morris.

Ring D&F with your requirements and they'll likely have all the patterns they need already. Mine took a week to complete.

Regards your offset, that's good. It means your UJs will do some UJing!

Regards,

Chris

[Edited on 10/4/18 by CTLeeds]

Dingz

posted on 10/4/18 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
I’ve had one from Bailey Morris in the past, service and quality is good, Their website is useful too.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

Markymark

posted on 10/4/18 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies

I know props need to be offset but aren't the gearbox and diff ouput shafts supposed to be parallel?

On mine the prop runs straight from diff to gearbox down the centre line of the car, it is at his point the engine/gearbox is 5 degs to the N/S, if you follow me.

Anyway thanks for the info, have contacted both, B M were not concerned about the angle but we're more expensive. D&F thought it a bit much but we're cheaper. So who knows.

Cheers guys

Mark

matt5964

posted on 10/4/18 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Another recommendation for bailey Morris, service and quality was first rate.

Luego velocity XT 2.0ltr 221.3bhp 178.9lbft

CTLeeds

posted on 10/4/18 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not advocating either or but the guys at D&F said they'd had a lot of enquiries from Bailey Morris customers saying the service had gone downhill recently as there's been a change of management or something.

I'm sure whichever you choose will provide a good product.

There's loads of resources on the web regards propshaft angles but off the top of my head I'm sure I read that 5 degrees was a maximum but permissable angle. PLEASE DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT THOUGH!!!

Regards,

Chris

Nickp

posted on 10/4/18 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
I've only used D&F but they were spot on with knowledge speed and price
locoboy

posted on 11/4/18 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Bailey Morris made one of mine, MK made the other.
Good service from both

[Edited on 11/4/18 by locoboy]

ATB
Locoboy

redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Run 2 ltr Black Top in single seater race car.

posted on 11/4/18 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Wilson Drive Shafts Bulwell Nottingham.....
jps

posted on 8/10/20 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Bump! Any more current recommendations? Am just getting quotes now - and finding quite a bit of cost variation between the two I have seen most often mentioned on here.
John Bonnett

posted on 8/10/20 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Bailey Morris have just made a propshaft for me, this being the third one they have supplied. They are excellent to deal with and the propshafts nicely made. It was just one week between placing the order and receiving the the prop. I have no idea how their price compares with others but what they charged I thought very reasonable for the job and I would never look elsewhere.
cliftyhanger

posted on 8/10/20 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Yu need to measure the working angle of the UJ. May 3 degrees I think. Ideally the gearbox and diff should be parallel.
I had a UJ fail 18months ago (600 miles from home) and I had nearly 6 degrees angle at that end. Spent serious time reducing it to a smidge over 3 degrees, but slightly out of parallel now. Fingers crossed all is OK.
If in doubt, get the prop made with larger UJ's no real downside except a few quid extra.

sdh2903

posted on 8/10/20 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Dave mac props. https://davemacprops.co.uk/

fabulous service at a good price. I had to clearance the diff flange due to an error on my measurements. They took it back checked the balance and had it shipped back to me all within 48 hours of it leaving me. Wouldn't even take money off me to cover the extra postage.

I've always used Bailey morris but they were well off on price this time.

Duncan Grier

posted on 9/10/20 at 06:05 AM Reply With Quote
Dave Mac is who I always use for custom driveshafts & propshafts

Service & quality brilliant and always looked after me cost wise

No experiance of the others mentioned

jps

posted on 15/11/20 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the feedback, just to update. I tried D&F and Bailey Morris. Both very helpful, price wise D&F were a lot less, so I went with them (162 inc vat and delivery to Essex for a simple one piece prop with Sierra flange at one end, Type3 sleeve at the other and UJ joints at each end). Their lead time was about 2 weeks when I ordered, which was fine for me. They rang to take payment once it was made and, to my surprise, it was on my doorstep the next lunchtime. Looks good and fits straight in.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.