Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Just starting
Falcon59

posted on 6/8/18 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Just starting

Hi guys,
As the subject says am 'just starting out' so would really appreciate some advice, hints and anything else you think would be helpful. Should mention at this stage that I live in Australia.
Am in the research stage at the moment buying books and reading a lot so much that I am becoming a little confused. Am still looking for Chris Gibbs, Build your own Sports Car on a budget, very hard to get here so if there is someone out there that might be able to help I would be great full.
Was thinking of using a BMW 3 Series for my donor vehicle and putting it in a Haynes, all seems pretty straight forward don't want to make it to complicated on my first build, I have no aspirations that this will be simple or easy just want to to keep as less complicated as I can, so having said that I would appreciate your help.
Thanks heaps..

Nickp

posted on 6/8/18 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Good choice of donor. I used an E36 328i engine and box for my Haynes.
Here's a bit of a build thread- http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=198679&page=1

HowardB

posted on 6/8/18 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
someone will come along soon to advise one way or the other, but I have a vague recollection that in Australia the chassis has to be much stiffer than a book one,. perhaps I read it on the Geko thread,..

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/8/18 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
yeah I think I'd be looking at what it takes to get a kit car registered and tested where you are as they'll no doubt be very different to the UK
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 6/8/18 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
there is an Australian forum that would may be usefull to join but last time i was there, they had no sense of humour and a couple of us got booted off for making a joke, they were also very much more into drawing things that actually making anything, after watching "mighty car mods" i wonder if it is at all posible.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

hughpinder

posted on 6/8/18 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
If I was starting now, I'd probably build midlana (mid engined, using a FWD drivetrain at the back), even though the book is quite expensive to buy.
I have a copy and like the design. You will need a mx5 donor, which if you choose carefully could provide most of the suspension uprights, brakes, handbrake, seats, possibly wheels, heater matrix, wipers etc. I would go for a honda civic typeR with damaged body, so cheap, or similar as the engine donor (partly because that is what he uses in the book), from which you take the engine, box, engine electrics etc, and there is a decent tuning scene if 220 bhp isn't enough for you. The book tells you what to buy in advance (so you can check it will fit the chassis if you are not using the same kit as he did), and also which measurements are critical and which make little difference if you need to modify to fit your engine, seats or whatever. There are no places to buy flatpack steel or ready made chassis though, so you will need to do that yourself.
See
https://midlana.com/
or several posts on this forum
Regards
Hugh

[Edited on 6/8/18 by hughpinder]

HowardB

posted on 6/8/18 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
someone will come along soon to advise one way or the other, but I have a vague recollection that in Australia the chassis has to be much stiffer than a book one,. perhaps I read it on the Geko thread,..

Found this - mods to the book chassis

linky-dinky

HTH

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

big_wasa

posted on 6/8/18 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
The books are every where over here as long as you realise the postage will cost more than the book some one will sell you one.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.