Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Classic car for 3
femster87

posted on 12/10/18 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Classic car for 3

I have decided to grow up and have a child. I am now hankering after a serious project ( all alloy bodywork) that can take the three of us and something to fascinate the little lass.

I need inspiration for a classic car recreation that looks the part and will be fun. The e type looks like really nice . But I think it needs a bit of updating with the lifted up back end. For me it should be sat down more. I do like the look of gt.coupe fast back 2+2 classic cars.

Any ideas and pictures welcome.

Nickp

posted on 13/10/18 at 06:11 AM Reply With Quote
So you quite fancy an E type? But aren't sure about the looks?? Not sure where we go from there tbh

What about an Alfa Giulia Sprint? Won't come cheap for a nice one, but uber cool mate

cliftyhanger

posted on 13/10/18 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
proper 2+2 cars are tiny in the back. Be warned....

There are some e type replicas out there, some may be "stretched"? or stretchable?

If you are thinking of making your own body in ali you should try to get hold of John Bonnet. He made an ali skinned shell for a GT6, so may be able to give you a few pointers.

Personally, how about a nice early capri?

steve m

posted on 13/10/18 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
2+2 elan, I had one for years, great cars, but the back seats are only for small children,
I am not very tall, and I couldn't sit in the back

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

femster87

posted on 13/10/18 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
So you quite fancy an E type? But aren't sure about the looks?? Not sure where we go from there tbh

What about an Alfa Giulia Sprint? Won't come cheap for a nice one, but uber cool mate

The guilia is a very good shout. I just feel the back of the etype is too far up off the ground

femster87

posted on 13/10/18 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
proper 2+2 cars are tiny in the back. Be warned....

There are some e type replicas out there, some may be "stretched"? or stretchable?

If you are thinking of making your own body in ali you should try to get hold of John Bonnet. He made an ali skinned shell for a GT6, so may be able to give you a few pointers.

Personally, how about a nice early capri?

Definitely not a capri. i'd prefer to stretch and lower the etype. But i know a few people would cry

Benzine

posted on 13/10/18 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Lowered Volvo Amazon 2 door or a 123GT if budget allows

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ettore bugatti

posted on 14/10/18 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
The creator of the Carlton Carrera must have been through a similar thought process. They did it in GRP, though.

r1_pete

posted on 14/10/18 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
What about a Scimitar, I’m half heartedly looking for one for the next project.

Seperate chassis, glass fibre body, loads of potential for better engines, kind of timeless looks imo, front grille arangement needs thought though.....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Angel Acevedo

posted on 15/10/18 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
What about a McLaren F1 replica?

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

nick205

posted on 15/10/18 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
E-Type

Perhaps swayed by the fact my Dad's a huge fan of them and has instilled the same in me. They're old cars now and sure there are modernisations that some may like to make. IIRC there was a member on here who fitted fuel injection to one in place of the carbs. Might have made it tick over and run better and probably better fuel economy. For me they're not about fuel economy though!

They have inboard rear disc brakes either side of the diff. A tidy seup in terms of brake pipes, but hard work to service/repair rear brakes.

For me the earlier models have in terms of looks (without glazed over headlight recesses).

Certainly not cheap to buy though a good E-Type and you need somewhere safe to keep it as well.

From knowledge of going in the back seats there really isn't much room in there - small kids only - you'd really struggle to fold a teenager in there!

nick205

posted on 15/10/18 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
Lowered Volvo Amazon 2 door or a 123GT if budget allows

Got to say I really quite like the Volvo Amazon (standatd and tweaked).

femster87

posted on 15/10/18 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
For me the earlier models have in terms of looks (without glazed over headlight recesses).

Certainly not cheap to buy though a good E-Type and you need somewhere safe to keep it as well.

From knowledge of going in the back seats there really isn't much room in there - small kids only - you'd really struggle to fold a teenager in there!

I have got many years to go before teenage years. So i think we had be fine

nick205

posted on 15/10/18 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by femster87

I have got many years to go before teenage years. So i think we had be fine

You do have some growing time to allow for!

SWMBO and I have 3 kids (1 + twins). I sold my MK Indy shortly after our twins arrived as 2 seats and no weather protection simply wasn't going to work for us. Shortly after I replaced it with a Peugeot 205 GTI. SWMBO wasn't amused until I highlighted the 5 seats and weather protection parts of it. She came around to the idea quite nicely thereafter. Kids adore it as well.

jossey

posted on 15/10/18 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
https://m.facebook.com/groups/367776593575512?view=permalink&id=712893865730448

What about a jag D type on a locost chassis.

[Edited on 15/10/18 by jossey]

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

r1_pete

posted on 15/10/18 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
E-Type

IIRC there was a member on here who fitted fuel injection to one in place of the carbs. Might have made it tick over and run better and probably better fuel economy. For me they're not about fuel economy though!

!

That was me, I’m sure Femi saw the car in my garage at least once, yes it started better, every time, ran better, smoother, but it was still a 50+ year old car, the best move I made was to junk the aftermarked 205 tyres and go back to stock 185s, my advice would be to forget Es, honestly they arent that great....

That was the third E Type I’ve had, I sold it back in March, would I have another.....NO, there is much more fun to be had in cheaper classics, its taken the 3 goes to admit that though.... Next summer I’ll be enjoying the 3.5L Porsche 944, and on the lookout for a Scimitar to house a 4.0 V8 I’m building....

femster87

posted on 15/10/18 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
https://m.facebook.com/groups/367776593575512?view=permalink&id=712893865730448

What about a jag D type on a locost chassis.

[Edited on 15/10/18 by jossey]

Lmao Dave, do i put the baby on the bonnet or the Mrs?

ettore bugatti

posted on 15/10/18 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Or get a rusty VW Karmann Ghia body

Build a typical US street rod (4x2" ladder frame, Mustang II IFS, SBC 350, Tremec T5 and 9" rear axle),
Pposition the wheels under the body like it was meant to be:

And you have your own Ghia Supersonic ready!

[Edited on 15/10/18 by ettore bugatti]

femster87

posted on 16/10/18 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
Now that looks nice

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.