Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cazoo Update
Mr Whippy

posted on 8/3/21 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
Cazoo Update

Just an update for anyone interested in how things went and your also considering is this a way to buy your next car? and no I don’t work for them or get anything whatsoever for writing this in case you’re wondering.

So I got my Nissan Leaf from Cazoo and have to be honest it was a really great experience. Can’t fault them in any way. The car was even better than shown on the review pictures on their website and despite being 4 years old literally looks straight out the show room without a mark anywhere. I don’t think I could have got a car any better if I tried.

They arrived bang on time with it inside their custom transporter van, popped it right down infront of my house and the guy (who owns one too) took me all through the car.

It came with -

• A full valet inside & out
• A full major service by Cazoo (stamped in the service book)
• New tyre inflation 12v pump & sealant (there was also the one that came with the car)
• Car inspection check off sheet
• 3 months warranty (Leafs come with 8 year warranties on the batteries anyway)
• 7 days free insurance (for the 7 day trial period so you’re not committed to the car in any way), Road tax is free for an EV off course…
• 90 days free RAC cover
• 86% battery charge, they said it would have at least 75%
• The two charging leads
• Goody bag of Cazoo things like flask, umbrella, ice scraper, screen squeegee, air fresher…etc

I’ve bought 34 cars over the year and compared to buying privately or at the dealer like when I got the VW Up it was a vastly better experience by huge margin. There’s no pressure of a sales man and you have all the time you want to look over the documents and check things out. I thought it was a much better way of buying a car.

As for the car? It's only got 18.5k miles on it but I swear that it the nicest car I have ever been in, incredibly quiet yet blisteringly quick off the mark while doing the equivalent of 120mpg. No more ICE cars, I’ve had it with them. This is the new Whippymobile -

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 8/3/21 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Have you checked inside the boot for the slippers with side zips, pipe and incontinence pants?
Mr Whippy

posted on 8/3/21 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
Have you checked inside the boot for the slippers with side zips, pipe and incontinence pants?

all I'll say is have a shot of an EV and you'll see how back to front an ICE is for performance...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 8/3/21 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
...and will you paint this with a camouflage finish?

Interesting read, we're about to replace our aging VW Touran 1.9 TDI. 3 ever growing kids + a dog means an MPV type vehicle. I've looked, but don't see a reasonably priced EV option. Hybrid may be the route for now for us.

However, we can't ignore the approach of 2030 when ICE vehicles can no longer be sold in the UK. I know ICE vehicles won't disappear overnight, but we all have to change.

Mr Whippy

posted on 8/3/21 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
I think my wife would literally kill me if I painted that camo...
McLannahan

posted on 8/3/21 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Have you purchased it outright Whipster?

Now that road fund licence are going up yet again - my old diesel Volvo is now approaching £30 a month to tax and I'd love an electric car...

Mr Whippy

posted on 8/3/21 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
No its through finance, with Cazoo £240 per month for 5 years for that particular car. No road tax and the insurance was the same as my little VW up. Even with the Up I spent £80 a month on fuel plus the £135 finance so is only a little bit more for a car that's in a totally different class. I mean the Up feels like a tractor in comparison lol.

You can get much cheaper EVs than that but do your research there's a lot of new things to learn about but I found it quite interesting.

This was one of the videos that persuaded me to change

youtube linky

[Edited on 8/3/21 by Mr Whippy]

02GF74

posted on 8/3/21 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
However, we can't ignore the approach of 2030 when ICE vehicles can no longer be sold in the UK. I know ICE vehicles won't disappear overnight, but we all have to change.

sold being the important word here and I believe that applies to new vehicles, that's if it actrually happens.

ofcourse fossil fuel powered vehicles won't disappear overnight and there still will be pleny of used petrol and weasel fueled vehicles to choose fromj, just like it is possible to buy cars and motorcycles from the the previous century (1900) as well as steam driven cars.

electric powered cars, just like automatic, don't appeal to me. The only electric I plan to use is my mobility scooter when that time comes.

David Jenkins

posted on 8/3/21 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
No more ICE cars, I’ve had it with them.

Welcome to the enlightened side! I can't imagine that I will ever buy another infernal combustion car as my main vehicle. Mine is a 1.85 tonne crossover SUV that can do 60mph in 7.5 seconds - and it's sold as a general-purpose family car! Not too shabby. My wife currently has a small Citroen C1, and we would swap it tomorrow if we could find a small electric equivalent at a sensible price (and we are looking). She may end up with an early-model Leaf or Zoe as she doesn't need a lot of range and they are relatively cheap.

They do have their own issues, mostly to do with public charging, but that's mostly down to the people who operate the chargers. These cars are so much better overall.

As for the end of new ICE cars - yes, there will be older cars still available after the deadline, but I can see higher taxation, increasing fuel prices due to a smaller customer base, and assorted legislation being the killer blows. There are already a number of cities that either ban ICE cars from their centre, or charge for entry (e.g. City of London).

[Edited on 8/3/21 by David Jenkins]

02GF74

posted on 8/3/21 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Remind me how that wee ditty goes.

You'll take the high road and I'll take the low road,
And I'll be in Scotland afore you
Because ye'll be at Thurrock services
Awaiting 3 hour for ye battery to recharge.

Mr Whippy

posted on 8/3/21 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Tbh you sound just like me 5 years ago, I was all for going LPG and love loud old school cars. Mind I'm still rebuilding this Robinhood and it's the complete opposite to the leaf but for my daily driver I prefer my stereo over the engine noise.

Anyway I'm sure this thread started as how I found Cazoo rather than EVs vs ICE cars lol.

[Edited on 8/3/21 by Mr Whippy]

David Jenkins

posted on 8/3/21 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Awaiting 3 hour for ye battery to recharge.

Sometime this year I'll be going to visit my brother in Dornoch, Scotland. I live in East Anglia, and we usually stop over for one night in the general Glasgow area. In my car I can get to the Glasgow area with just 1 mid-journey stop of around 50 - 60 minutes, during which I'll be having some food, a toilet break, and generally stretching my legs. This journey will be at full legal road speed. The next day I will charge the car somewhere near to my overnight stop (maybe overnight at the hotel, if I choose carefully) and then I'll drive to Dornoch without further recharging. There's a fast charger at Dornoch that I will use to give me enough for driving around the locality for a week or so, then another full charge for the start of my return journey.

02GF74

posted on 8/3/21 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ do you need to book your slot at the charger else how do you know there will be a spare plug when you turn up?
David Jenkins

posted on 8/3/21 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
^^^ do you need to book your slot at the charger else how do you know there will be a spare plug when you turn up?

I have an app called Zap-Map that tells me where the chargers are, whether they're working ok, and whether they're currently in use. If the one I'm aiming for is broken, or in use, then I used the app to locate another nearby charger.

It's not a perfect system, but it's worked for me in 3 years of EV driving.

ianhurley20

posted on 8/3/21 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
No more ICE cars, I’ve had it with them.

My wife currently has a small Citroen C1, and we would swap it tomorrow if we could find a small electric equivalent at a sensible price (and we are looking).

[Edited on 8/3/21 by David Jenkins]

I've got my name down for a Citroen Ami when they release it in the UK - sort of an electric 2CV quirky Citroen thing, currently available in Paris at 30 euros/month

[Edited on 8/3/21 by ianhurley20]

David Jenkins

posted on 8/3/21 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20

I've got my name down for a Citroen Ami when they release it in the UK - sort of an electric 2CV quirky Citroen thing, currently available in Paris at 30 euros/month

[Edited on 8/3/21 by ianhurley20]

I saw a review or two about those - my wife wouldn't tolerate the low top speed!

Now if we could get one of these at the price they are in China - https://youtu.be/QkIarb-8Ot8 - then it would be a perfect car for my wife. She hates gadgets and gizmos, and just wants a car that you put in D and drive. All she wants to know is what speed she's doing, and the current state of battery charge (or range, whatever).

steve m

posted on 8/3/21 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Last feb or march 2020, (and things could of changed by now)

On the M4 eastbound we saw 3 cars waiting to charge, as both charging bays had cars in them, its a two hour limit on the car park, so with charging, and paying the parking fee, is it realy cost effective ? also who wins? the service station, with the Parking charges, and go in with the family and eat some dog meat in Mcdonalds

As the day i have to go electric, unless it has a min of 300 mile range, will be the last day i drive a car

For me, its the uncertainty of being able to charge up, and my local Shell garage has one port, and i dont think ive ever been in there with out a car plugged in, so for me, unless i could plug in immeidetly, like filling a gas tank up, is a waste of my time, and im not waiting

It may just the way i am wired up, but fully electric cars do not do a thing for me, hybrids possibly but an almighty amount of work needs to go into making charging cars anywhere a reality, not a pipe dream

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

SteveWalker

posted on 8/3/21 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
If I could afford one, I'd definitely go for a PHEV. The plug-in aspect would cover the vast majority of my normal driving (home to office and back, around 24 miles), with the engine covering the more unusual.

From experience, I need a car that can get me to and from work; and then when I arrive home and find an answerphone message to tell us that a relative has died in Ireland and is being buried the following morning (they don't hang around in Ireland); to get us to my parents to drop the kids off; from Manchester to Holyhead; Dublin to Sligo; church to graveyard; graveyard to hotel for a meal; hotel to Belfast; Cairnryan to Manchester. All with the only pauses being at the ports, at the church, graveyard and hotel or a few minutes at a garage for petrol, so no chance for a recharge.

More commonly, going on holiday would mean going to and from work; arriving home to hook up the trailer (most electrics aren't even certified to tow) and pick-up the wife and kids; off to Cairnryan and Belfast to Donegal.

Another holiday has involved, home to work to home; to Nottingham; to Dover; From Calais to Stuttgart. An overnight stop on a campsite and on to Salzburg.

While working, I have had cases of receiving a phonecall while in Portsmouth, asking me to be in Kilmarnock the next morning!

Electric only just can't meet my needs for flexibility, long journeys and instant availability - yet.

Simon

posted on 8/3/21 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
Five years ago I looked at Vauxhall Ampera as great looking but no good as batteries run up the centre so only 4 seats, then I was hoping to get a Tesla Model 3 (deposit paid etc) as they'd said there would be a budget version under £30k, got bored of waiting for production to start then they were high £30k's so bought my third Renault Grand Espace. It will never lose me more than £3000 (what I paid for it), carries 7 in great comfort, handles brilliantly for a bus, does mid 40's mpg on a run (so I can go from Kent to Scotland and most of the way back on a tank).

I'm all in favour of electric but the infrastructure is still a bit rubbush (friend had a BMW i3 and found this out so replaced it with a 140i!)

I've now got to the stage where I really can't see the point in spending a lot on a car whether electric or internal combustion .....

David Jenkins

posted on 9/3/21 at 05:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Last feb or march 2020, (and things could of changed by now) On the M4 eastbound we saw 3 cars waiting to charge, as both charging bays had cars in them, its a two hour limit on the car park, so with charging, and paying the parking fee, is it realy cost effective ? also who wins? the service station, with the Parking charges, and go in with the family and eat some dog meat in Mcdonalds

The motorways are a problem - a company called Ecotricity has a monopoly at the service stations, and they have a reputation for providing unreliable chargers with poor charging rates. Zap-Map helps me to find better services just off motorways until the time when Ecotricity lose their monopoly, or go bust (both a possibility).

Both Shell and BP have bought up major charging companies and are investing a vast amount of money in the infrastructure - expect forecourts to have a fair number of chargers in the near future, almost certainly including motorway services. Shell have said publicly that there's no future for oil.

Other huge companies are investing millions in charging hubs, including one near where I live (Brentwood, with around 20 charging points, plus decent services and restaurants).

Milton Keynes has low-power street chargers all over the town centre, a reasonable number of high-speed chargers dotted around, plus a charging hub with about 15 chargers on the outskirts of the town, about 400 yards off the M1. This is the way things will go, I reckon.

Nowhere near the ideal yet, but things are progressing rapidly.

[Edited on 9/3/21 by David Jenkins]

02GF74

posted on 9/3/21 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
There is something mystical about seeing 16 valves jumping up and down at 4,000 rpm that a spinning motor does not have.

That aside, I will concede that for regular shortish journeys where there is guarantee of charging point availability at one or both ends, they are ideal, such as commuting from home to work.

Since I cycle to/from work, ye olde volvo is only used at weekends for medium to long trips in unpredictable directions and distances, mostly with the mtb in the back to take me somewhere new for biking. I don't need to worry about if I have enough energy to get there nor where to go to recharge at the other end if need be.

It is likely the petrol engined car drivers/motorcyclists will get priced out so be forced to go electrical.

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/3/21 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
No their not ideal for every trip you can think of but for the usual 95 - 99% of the trips they are. Most families own two cars and having one as an EV for the most regular trips is a good way to save money, which is exactly what I've done. Most on here seem to be perfectly happy to have a impractical 2 seater with dodgy weather gear as a second car but one with only 120 miles range before recharging well that's just too much to take!
David Jenkins

posted on 9/3/21 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
No, they don't suit everyone. If there is a chance that you may have unexpected journeys to far-flung places at short notice then an ICE vehicle is more appropriate. Most long-distance journeys in an electric vehicle require a bit of pre-planning (it's just a new skill that becomes second nature). Hydrogen fuel-cell cars might end up being suitable, but as there's only one hydrogen filling station in the UK (at the last count) then there's little point - maybe when every filling station has a hydrogen dispenser then they may become popular. Personally I think they're a dead-end, but I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

I would avoid any sort of hybrid though, as you still have the maintenance liability of the petrol engine with the added weight and complexity of the electric motor, batteries and control gear, There's little saving to be made, as a really good modern ICE car can approach (or equal) the mpg of a hybrid, and the servicing costs of the hybrid will be much higher.

quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
If I could afford one, I'd definitely go for a PHEV. The plug-in aspect would cover the vast majority of my normal driving (home to office and back, around 24 miles), with the engine covering the more unusual.

From experience, I need a car that can get me to and from work; and then when I arrive home and find an answerphone message to tell us that a relative has died in Ireland and is being buried the following morning (they don't hang around in Ireland); to get us to my parents to drop the kids off; from Manchester to Holyhead; Dublin to Sligo; church to graveyard; graveyard to hotel for a meal; hotel to Belfast; Cairnryan to Manchester. All with the only pauses being at the ports, at the church, graveyard and hotel or a few minutes at a garage for petrol, so no chance for a recharge.

More commonly, going on holiday would mean going to and from work; arriving home to hook up the trailer (most electrics aren't even certified to tow) and pick-up the wife and kids; off to Cairnryan and Belfast to Donegal.

Another holiday has involved, home to work to home; to Nottingham; to Dover; From Calais to Stuttgart. An overnight stop on a campsite and on to Salzburg.

While working, I have had cases of receiving a phonecall while in Portsmouth, asking me to be in Kilmarnock the next morning!

Electric only just can't meet my needs for flexibility, long journeys and instant availability - yet.

02GF74

posted on 9/3/21 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
No their not ideal for every trip you can think of but for the usual 95 - 99% of the trips they are. Most families own two cars and having one as an EV for the most regular trips is a good way to save money, which is exactly what I've done. Most on here seem to be perfectly happy to have a impractical 2 seater with dodgy weather gear as a second car but one with only 120 miles range before recharging well that's just too much to take!

Firstly forget the 2 seater with dodgy weather gear, those aren't typically used for long journeys and can't carry a MTB but you may have a point.

Thinking more about it, the longer journeys I regularly do is round trip to Birmingham, say 220 miles so that is on the current (no pun intended) limit of EV cars. Longer journeys require planning and those would involve a short 1/2 hour leg stretch at services and an overnight stay at hotel, but I do the planning for: stay, route to ride, visiting any interesting things etc anyway so should not be too big a hardship for locating charge point.

BUT I haven't noticed that the hotels I've been staying at have at least one charging point (but TBH not been long for them), so it is a trip elsewhere to plug in and but then how do you get back?

EV at present are still too inconvenient (range/charge point locations) and expensive at present for my driving needs.

[Edited on 9/3/21 by 02GF74]

David Jenkins

posted on 9/3/21 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Purely by coincidence - spotted this an hour ago:

Ecotricity to lose motorway franchise

The sooner the better!!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.