Board logo

Transporting a scooter.
roadrunner - 9/2/17 at 10:19 PM

I'm looking at purchasing a scooter, and because I'm not insured and not passed my CBT , I can't ride it home.
Would it be possible to lay a scooter in the back of my large estate car for the journey home. Or am I at risk of spilling fluid into my car.
Regards
Brad.

Angel Acevedo - 9/2/17 at 10:38 PM

I´d drain the gas tank and run on reserve until you empty the carb bowl and whatever is left on tank.
Oil should not pose a problem.
HTH

bi22le - 9/2/17 at 11:04 PM

^^ this

And lay some water proof mat down so the chain grease does not mess up the carpet.

When I recently bought my new bike I trailed it home (borrowing a bike trailer from a friend). Although it was all strapped down I did not feel comfortable with it bouncing around behind me.

If I did not have access to the trailer I would of borrowed a van from a friend, is this an option?

mark chandler - 9/2/17 at 11:33 PM

It will not be like folding a pushbike in the back and that's hard enough! Get a van or a friend to ride it home for you.

When I got my first proper bike (vfr400) the seller rode it to my house and I took him home.

[Edited on 9/2/17 by mark chandler]

roadrunner - 10/2/17 at 05:55 AM

Thanks fellas.

ElmrPhD - 10/2/17 at 07:12 AM

My '77 Land Rover 109 is perfect for transporting our '68 Vespa (small-frame) and our '66 Ducati 350 race bike, but anything smaller wouldn't handle the Ducati.
Either confirm the measurements or simply get a proper van (and forget about inevitably spilling and breathing the nasty organics all over your car...)

Steve, in the NLs

SJ - 10/2/17 at 07:44 AM

Depends on the car. I had no bother getting a KH125 in the back of a Citroen BX hatch a few years ago.

roadrunner - 10/2/17 at 11:28 AM

Audi A6 big enough for a Honda 125.

garyo - 10/2/17 at 02:55 PM

As per Mark's suggestion - give the seller £20 to drop it off, or build it in to your haggling when you give him your last price move.