Board logo

interesting power boost for mx5
westf27 - 28/11/13 at 08:21 PM

http://cars.aol.co.uk/2013/11/27/tuning-house-reveals-most-powerful-mx-5-to-date/?ncid=wsc-uk-cars-headline

hardly locost though

[Edited on 28/11/2013 by westf27]

bi22le - 28/11/13 at 09:02 PM

I was dragged along by a friend to a Kent MX5 meet. Nice people and welcoming to my sceptical kit car view on their cars, some nice bits of kit though.

One of the picks of the bunch from that day was a BBR cosworth MX5 that was supercharged. Cost about the same as the one they mention and as fast, it was very nice.

4.9 0-60 and 150mph to speed is still not bonkers fast in my eyes, not for 30k. I have managed to get a 0-60 in 4.5 sec for 6.5K and damn sight faster round a corner.

steve m - 28/11/13 at 10:00 PM

But it will always be a hairdressers car ?

wether its quick or not

BaileyPerformance - 28/11/13 at 10:11 PM

268BHP? not much really...

we have done loads of MX5s, supercharged and turbocharged, ranging from 250BHP on a STOCK 1.8L to over 320BHP on a steel 1.8L

we also done a couple on jenveys, all on megasquirt.

we are popular on the mx5nuz forum.

pewe - 17/1/14 at 12:40 PM

You can buy an older, fully sorted turbo or s/c 5 for a lot less - think £3k .
My s/c Mk1 1.6 knocks out c.200bhp and has perfomance/handling to match.
Add frame rails, poly bushes and a couple of other chassis/suspension mods to the already highly competent chassis and you have something that will not only bait Ferraris and Porkers but show them the way home on the twisty bits.
The hairdresser image only adds to the fun......
Like it? I love it and so does SWMBO - three trips to Italy the scenic way in the last two years speak for themselves.
Cheers, Pewe10

loggyboy - 17/1/14 at 01:04 PM

'Porsche Boxster baiting'
Not much of a boast. My old Nova was quicker than them.

I dont quite see how a tuning house car is any different from a one off done by anyone else. Its not like its an AMG or alpina that comes OE factory backed.

Slimy38 - 17/1/14 at 02:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
'Porsche Boxster baiting'
Not much of a boast. My old Nova was quicker than them.

I dont quite see how a tuning house car is any different from a one off done by anyone else. Its not like its an AMG or alpina that comes OE factory backed.

I thought BBR was Mazda supported? OK, they're not exclusive, but in terms of warranty approved mods this would be the way to go?

mattwho - 31/3/14 at 01:03 PM

i had a mk1 1.8 and i made my own turbo kit for it. i was running 200hp ish and did 1/4mile in 14.4. easy engine to boost.

cliftyhanger - 31/3/14 at 02:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
But it will always be a hairdressers car ?

wether its quick or not

on that note....
We went to a car club awards dinner a couple of weeks ago. Me and teh lady wife sat on a table with 3 other couples, all car-centred. 3 of the couples, including us, owned an MX5. The only couple who didn't were both hairdressers. Couldn't make it up!

I rate the car. £620 with nearly a years MoT, and a few months tax. £70 on new brake discs and pads plus an oil change and it did a trackday (the reason we bought it) 3 drivers for a good chunk of the day and no dramas. It was literally on track for 50% plus of the day. Often doing 3 sessions in a row....
Plus as a car the ladies do not turn up their noses. That is worth way more than a couple of seconds to 60