Board logo

PAS fluid
theconrodkid - 5/10/16 at 12:17 PM

Hi peeps,just changed the PAS fluid on my mobile salon ,imagine my suprise when it came out green .
book says Dexron 2 which is red,the green stuff smelt like red dex,the only other green fluid i have seen is LHM for citroens but i cant remember what that smells like.
so....does dex come in green or has the previous owner who was a bit of a muppet going by some of the things i have found on it put the wrong fluid in ?.
car has always driven ok but steering was a bit rubbery,i havnt had a chance to take him out after the fluid change yet so dont know if it fels different.

owelly - 5/10/16 at 03:22 PM

Istr there are green and red pas fluids readily available off the shelf. I can't remember the details but the wrong fluid can wreck the pas seals.

ian locostzx9rc2 - 5/10/16 at 03:57 PM

What car is it ?

theconrodkid - 5/10/16 at 05:59 PM

It,s a Mazda MX5,as i posted above,book says dexron 2 and the car is 26 years old so a bit before all the fancy bespoke fluids came out.
i know about seal wrecking thats why i was concerned,there isnt a definate answer that i can find on interweb

[Edited on 5/10/16 by theconrodkid]

ian locostzx9rc2 - 5/10/16 at 06:35 PM

Flush the system out and fit Dextron 2

theconrodkid - 6/10/16 at 07:06 AM

Tis flushed and refilled with good old red,there was no evidence of seals being harmed as the fluid was clean....just wondering why the colour and nothing on the font of all knowledge about it.

nick205 - 6/10/16 at 08:48 AM

At 26 years old the car's probably had it changed before and there's no guarantee whoever did it put the right fluid in it. If you've drained and refilled with the right spec then I'd not worry about it really.

britishtrident - 6/10/16 at 09:01 AM

Because it is fully synthetic Dexron III can be a problematic when used in some Dexron IID systems. If it leaks put some sautomatic transimision leak sealer in it

[Edited on 6/10/16 by britishtrident]

theconrodkid - 6/10/16 at 01:21 PM

cheers guys....anyone for a trim