Board logo

Ebay hacked
ReMan - 21/5/14 at 05:05 PM

They've not told me yet, but here's the advice
Ebay news

steve m - 21/5/14 at 05:18 PM

Just saw it on the BBC news, but I cannot seem to find were to change my password ?

Steve

CRAIGR - 21/5/14 at 05:20 PM

Go to my ebay ,click account , click personal info, edit password

steve m - 21/5/14 at 05:24 PM

Just done it,

kj - 21/5/14 at 05:29 PM

Just been on e-bay had blocked site and warning comming up like a viris.
Then come on here and seen that fook, just went back and changed password.

kj - 21/5/14 at 05:32 PM

Good of them to mention it now after feb / March time

philw - 21/5/14 at 05:40 PM

Surely if it's been hacked and they have peoples passwords, won't they know if you change it? and what it's been changed to?

jacko - 21/5/14 at 05:58 PM

Just done it
Jacko

loggyboy - 21/5/14 at 06:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by philw
Surely if it's been hacked and they have peoples passwords, won't they know if you change it? and what it's been changed to?

Not unless they have access to your email as well, which unless you hsve the same passwords for different accounts it wont be an issue. Considering the theifs have had the info for nearly 3 months my guess is the encryption worked and they cant actually use any of the passwords. Im not to concerned as even if they bid on something, my paypal account is a different password.

Slimy38 - 21/5/14 at 06:09 PM

I think the main people at risk are those that use the same password for everything, and it's something like their kids name or similar. While Ebay's functions are limited to rogue bids (and maybe an offensive feedback or two) the same password is potentially a lot more damaging on a banking website or even the users email account itself.

And yes, I know far too many people (even in IT) that use the same common word password for everything!

DavidM - 21/5/14 at 07:06 PM

A couple of the reports I have heard on the radio have said that it is believed the encryption of your password will have worked.

Those same reports have suggested however that the real issue is that Ebay did not encrypt any of the personal information they hold on file about you. All the sort of information needed to steal your identity. The advice was to check with a credit agency for any loan applications etc. that you haven't made.

David

ReMan - 23/5/14 at 06:53 PM

Finally got a notice from ebay, acknowledging this

kj - 23/5/14 at 07:39 PM

Me too how late

big_wasa - 23/5/14 at 08:29 PM

Forced a reset on me just as something I wanted was ending

David Jenkins - 23/5/14 at 09:11 PM

I think the proverbial is about to hit the fan...

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/ebay-to-be-investigated-by-uk-eu-and-us-authorities-over-data-breach-23-05-2014/