Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MK 2 or 3?
Mr Whippy

posted on 12/8/13 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
MK 2 or 3?

First post on the new forum...

Looking at the cars more closely that rusty rear sill issue is really putting me off an early car, so much so I'm looking at getting a mk3 instead even though they are around 6k which is a very expensive car for me

Seeing that Mazda don't seem to have bothered to rust proof these cars at all I don't want to risk it tbh plus I'd want to keep it a very l long time so seems sensible to keep saving for a later model.

That is unless I could absolutly guarantee an older car was flawless, seems unlikely though

Anyone dealt with a genuine importer or dealer, I don't mind traveling to the other end of the country to buy a worthwhile car.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rdodger

posted on 12/8/13 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't let the sill issue put you off. It is quite easy to spot and not too expensive to fix.

Outer sills repaired and painted should cost no more than £150 per side.

Slimy38

posted on 12/8/13 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Go have a look at some of the cars for sale over at mx5nutz.com. There are some seriously pampered bits of kit, and while they're not exactly bargain basement, they're definitely something that will last longer than the average Haynes Roadster donor.

You'd probably do better with a car that has been worked on and rustproofed, compared to just shelling out for a newer car that is unprotected and likely to suffer the same fate.

ChrisL

posted on 12/8/13 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Buy a knacked mk1 for £300 spend £2-3K turning into a show winner, £3K cheaper than a MK3 and a lighter more balanced car IMHO. OK low residual but an option...

And yes I'm a MK1 owner who's had his rear sill re-done, fronts are next and then I fancy an engine re-build but currently it's my daily drive.

theconrodkid

posted on 12/8/13 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Import mk 1,s are the best as the japs dont use salt,later ones with airbags had a different front chassis design and these can rust from the inside,they could write the car off.
to check the later ones you need to get under and if poss remove the splash tray to have a good look at the front legs.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/8/13 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Just had a look at a 2007 mk3 with only 17k on the clock. Have to say although folk seem to generally prefer the early models the mk3 is cracking inside with a very nice dash. Wife moaned that it was very low getting out off and the boot is well very small, not even big enough for a spare wheel they seem to have forgotten to include...

Liked the hood clatches dead easy to use. Still needs a real roll bar though.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pewe

posted on 13/8/13 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Slimy's right ^^ there are some pampered/modified cars over on Nutz for silly money.
Go for either a supercharged or turbo car where someone-else has taken the hit on conversion cost.
They come up surprisingly frequently and can represent some serious bangs for your bucks providing you're careful.
Chassis is more than up to it but ideally you want some after-market suspension, chassis rails, roll bar and LSD (Torsen being the best option IMO).
Only thing to bear in mind is that they are boringly reliable (famous last words) so don't expect to buy one then have the fiddle factor you get with a Se7en.
Having said that they make great Q cars and driving comfort is pretty good.
We did France and Italy in the Eunos earlier this year and providing you pack sensibly the boot is big enough for two weeks luggage.
Debate swings between space-saver spares and foam cans but my preference is space-saver - it doesn't take up too much space and at least it will get you off a mountain whereas no guarantee with a can of slime.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe10

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.