Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Decision made.....I think!
Gear Monkey

posted on 29/4/14 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
Decision made.....I think!

After much umming and ahhing and about 1 million google searches I think I'm set on R1 power for my scratch build car, so all the MX5 components I had ready to fit are shortly to be hitting ebay. We start welding today but as yet I'm unsure on the diff and that is my question. Ideally I want something very light with a ratio around 3.2 which looks like it will be a good compromise for road and track use. Ideally the donor or manufacturer will also have suitable (light ish) driveshafts and uprights to suit. I've been trying to think outside the box such as Audi quattro, Rav 4, CRV but don't yet have all the info needed to find the right solution. I have a friend of a friend who owns a huge scrap yard with a high turnover so finding the parts shouldn't be a major issue. Any advice would be gratefully received and pictures of similar installs would be awesome.......I'll post up some pics of the build later

Paul

HowardB

posted on 29/4/14 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
Suzuki carry van,... ?

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

ian.stewart

posted on 29/4/14 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Suzuki Cappuccino. They have a small IRS

Something different, Very different..............

adithorp

posted on 29/4/14 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Good choice. If you make it to Stoneleigh show this weekend you're welcome to a nosey around my R1.
I'll be on the JPSC pitch (no10 I think) under the phone masts.

I'm running a Freelander 3.21 quaife diff. Ally case so light and a common choice. You'd need to source shafts. The Fury uses a custom length but the spline for the Freelander inner joint is the same as the Sierra push in shafts so they can be swapped over (with a little work).

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

tims31

posted on 29/4/14 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
I have a couple of drive shafts spare that Steve made for me that were too long/short for the diff position. These could be cut to suite the correct length and sleeved as they are done by Fury. Push in shafts for a Sierra Diff

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

adithorp

posted on 29/4/14 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a spare Freelander open diff if you're interested. I bought it freshly recon'ed and it did about 500 miles before I swapped it for the quaife one.

Gear Monkey

posted on 29/4/14 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys for the offers of help, massively appreciated. The freelander diff? So would this use ford drive shafts as mentioned? or do you use freelander shafts, uprights, hubs, brakes, etc? If so are these fairly light items?? Ideally we're looking to achieve as light a car as possible.

Thanks for your help

Paul

PS. How much for the diff??

adithorp

posted on 29/4/14 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gear Monkey
Thanks guys for the offers of help, massively appreciated. The Freelander diff? So would this use ford drive shafts as mentioned? or do you use Freelander shafts, uprights, hubs, brakes, etc? If so are these fairly light items?? Ideally we're looking to achieve as light a car as possible.

Thanks for your help

Paul

PS. How much for the diff??

Freelander is 3.21:1 so good ratio for R1. Brakes NSL at the limiter in first (to be honest 1st is a bit long). Just over 7000rpm at 70mph. Tops out just shy of 150mph.

You need to use the Freelander inner driveshaft joint at least. Normally/commonly people use it in place of the much heavier Sierra diff so make up hybrid shafts (Sierra/Freelander) as they have Sierra running gear. The Ssierra push in and Freelander joints are the same spline so easy to interchange. There's no reason you couldn't have custom shafts to mate to MX5 hubs or anything else. Don't know of anyone using the Freelander hubs.

Don't know the weight but it's lighter than the Sierra. I could weigh it tomorrow (if I remember).

I was thinking £100 plus delivery but could bring to Stoneleigh. They're around that for used/high mileage ones on e-bay and this is low mileage since recon as new.

Gear Monkey

posted on 30/4/14 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks! I'll run it past my brother (we're joint funding / building the project) but that sounds good. I'm currently investigating how I can get the weight as low as possible so looking into all the major (and minor) components such as uprights, calipers, wheels, etc.

Any advice is greatly recieved

Paul

adithorp

posted on 30/4/14 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
My scales are pretty crap (couldn't find the good ones) but weighed it at 17-18kg which ties in with the 17kg I traced in a thread on here. The Sierra one is 25-30 depending on version (7 or 7.5" ) I believe though I can't confirm that; One thread in my search said it was 7kg heavier but didn't specify which version.

If you want it bringing to Stoneleigh I could do with knowing by Friday.

[Edited on 1/5/14 by adithorp]

Gear Monkey

posted on 1/5/14 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
U2U on it's way
Gear Monkey

posted on 1/5/14 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Guys......If you look here....

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=165078

And go to the bottom thread you will see pictures of my back end design. The vital outer dimensions are the same as the saturn (book) chassis only I've beefed up the rigidity with some triangulation without adding any major weight. Will the free lander diff sit in this space ok with suitable brackets/mounts holding it in place??

Thanks for your input fella's

Paul

adithorp

posted on 1/5/14 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
On next doors scales the Freelander diff weighed 15kg.

Gear Monkey

posted on 1/5/14 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Paid!!!

My Diff housing is based around the dimensions of the Saturn chassis so while the lower wishbone mounts are spaced as per the book the upper mounts are considerably wider apart. As I'll now be using a freelander diff to provide the right ratio for the bike engine what do you guys suggest? Do I design wishbones based around the mx5 (saturn) dimensions but to suit Sierra drive shafts which as I understand can be used with the freelander diff? Or do I re-engineer the back end to accept standard wishbones?? I'll be making the wishbones myself either way.

Thank for your help

Paul

PS. Going to have to remove the f*****g FU2 - 3 which aren't sitting square enough for the front wishbone mounts....Having researched this it seems it's very common and an error in the book

Gear Monkey

posted on 1/5/14 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thinking about it......... Would it be possible to merge my MX5 driveshafts to freelander shafts??? Problem solved surely???

Thanks

Paul

adithorp

posted on 2/5/14 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Should be possible . Will either need to cut and shut/slieve on of each shaft or have custom shafts shafts made to fit the joints.

Personally I'd prefer the custom shafts as they'd be lighter and stronger. Can't remember the name of the recommended company for them (rdodger on here had some made I think for his GTM so might be worth a u2u to him)

Diff on it's way.

Gear Monkey

posted on 4/5/14 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
It's all coming together

Engine acquired : Low miles complete zx9r from a 2004 which will actually run on the bench so nothing much needed there
Diff : Freelander
Uprights : mx5 although I'm investigating lighter alternatives (any suggestions welcome)

The chassis is coming together nicely. I had to remove fu2-3 and replace as these did not sit square (book error). I removed one at a time and as I have the aussie mods diagonal brace in place the chassis didn't lose shape. I milled new parts and clamped them in place to the other wishbone pick ups to ensure total squareness. Later today I'll finish taking up the diff housing, add a few other chassis rails and maybe look at plotting out the tranny tunnel. I have none of my components yet (in the post) so any location info for freelander diff and zx9r engine regarding tranny tunnel would be gratefully received. Once I figure out where to post pics to host etc I'll get some up

Paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.