Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Turner Bros ZX9r Scratch build
Gear Monkey

posted on 5/5/14 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Turner Bros ZX9r Scratch build

After having a large pile of steel sat in the shed for a couple of years me and Pete (my brother) decided to embark on getting something built and have set ourselves 12 months to have it finished. As a former engineer (toolmaker) I've got a few very useful bits of kit in my workshop and we've plenty of space so ideal for this project.

[img][/img]

We've made good headway and thrown some money in to get to the point of having a 70% tacked up chassis based roughly on the book with a few aussie mods, cymtricks and self inspired mods. We've acquired a 2004 ZX9r motor and freelander diff so all the ingredients for a fast and light car.

[img]
[/img]

I have mx5 running gear knocking about and unless I can find a lighter/better alternative I'll probably use these (suggestions welcome) although I'll need custom made drive shafts.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

I'm currently investigating the prop options and the possibility of machining up something to hold a rubber doughnut in the drive line to smooth things out as well as fitting a slipper clutch (rare on a zx9 by the looks of it). We're moving at a good pace so I'll try and keep updates coming and no doubt lots of questions.

Paul

[Edited on 5/5/14 by Gear Monkey]

Wheels244

posted on 5/5/14 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Love the Harrison - took me back 30 years to my apprenticeship !
Awesome machine, could all sorts with it.

Build Blog: http://wheels244.wordpress.com/

ashg

posted on 5/5/14 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
haha thats interesting. you lathe and mill are almost identical to mine. harrison L5 and a warco VMC

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

CosKev3

posted on 5/5/14 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Looking good
Gear Monkey

posted on 5/5/14 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys!

Ashg.....Almost uncanny

Right....Questions for you chaps in the know!

1- I want a finished car as close to 400kg as is possible so I need light weight. What uprights are out there in scrap yards that are lighter than the mx5 ones I have currently?

2- anyone ever consider using motorcycle calipers? They weigh next to nothing.

3- Fuel tank. As a bike engine sits over the left side of the engine bay leaving a large ish gap on the right, has anyone ever located the tank here? Low to the ground and between axles could be quite beneficial??

4- As bec gear changes can be quite snatchy would a homemade flange plate with rubber doughnut (bmw) help smooth things out? Would one on either end help? It won't help with weight obviously, but slick gear changes would be nice.

5 - Where's a good place to order DOM steel for my wishbones online?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Gear Monkey

posted on 5/5/14 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Diff housing all tacked in place of my own design. Looks great and really happy with it.

[img][/img]

CosKev3

posted on 6/5/14 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
If your planning on making it road legal/IVA'ed the tank will fail the test in the engine bay I would say.
it states 'fuel tanks must not be positioned near a heat source, so a leak could cause a fire hazard'

Gear Monkey

posted on 6/5/14 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
I thought that may be an issue. I'll have to have a rethink!

My question 4 regarding propshaft dampening. Would a TRT prop be better that a doughnut? Or what about having both for extra smoothness? I'll probably have to have a prop custom made so either way as will need to join bike engine to freelander diff. Anyone make their own prop? I have one of the top aerospace welders/fabricators on hand so good welds are not a problem, but balancing i guess could be a bit of a problem??

Paul

JoelP

posted on 6/5/14 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Balancing is important, and its only about 400 quid to get one professionally made.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

ian.stewart

posted on 6/5/14 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting, Another engineer, Im time served too, Lathe wise im in the other camp. Colchesters, I had a student, but downsized to a Bantam, More interestingly, Warco Mills, are they any good?, I have heard horror stories about them with wear and repeatability? Im in the market for a small mill, recommendations, if any,??

Dampening prop/drivetrain, I keep looking at spider couplings, fitted with a taperloc, according to my info, a taperloc, on a24mm shaft without key, has a slip torque of 120 ft lbs, use a key and it almost doubles, Spiders that can cope with that sort of torque are not that hard to find.

M/Cycle callipers, MGB hubs, machined to fit the discs, I still need to machine a spacer for the disc to bolt to, the only thing I can think of with bike discs, they are out in the open and not shrouded by wheel or backplates, so cooling inside a wheel could be a problem, Mine are going to be out in the air, BTW my vehicle of choice weighs in @ 360kg from factory, by the time I have removed bits and pieces that are not needed, I can see 300kg on the cards,

Something different, Very different..............

Gear Monkey

posted on 11/5/14 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
I've been really impressed with the Warco mill, although the smaller ones don't look as robust. This one the VMC turret mill is very much like a 2/3 scale bridgeport and takes some fairly large cuts with ease and seems accurate so far.

The brakes look great by the way, although I'll be pushing 425kg if my calcs are correct so looking for lightweight car calipers now, maybe getting some brembo's from a smashed alfa.

Gear Monkey

posted on 11/5/14 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Updates from this weekends time in the shed.

1- modified the engine bay to better house the ZX9r motor. I removed the book engine mount and added a cross member and bracing. This will allow for the motor to move as far to the left as possible (keeping the engine parallel with the car) and this keeps the prop angle under 7 degrees.

[img][/img]

2- tranny tunnel taking shape. I'm really happy with the fit this gives in the car and allows me to fit my seats of choice with room, albeit by a couple of mm's.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Jobs for the coming week are to finish the tunnel, add the final bits of bracing and then it's ready for full welding.....Loving this project!!

Paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.