Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Maybe a silly question...But?
Gear Monkey

posted on 11/5/14 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe a silly question...But?

What makes front uprights from a more modern and abundant front wheel drive car (a ka for example) unsuitable for a locost? Surely the lack of a driveshaft won't stop it doing what we want it to do??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/181361096545?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla &crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

Or am I missing something??

Paul

Davey D

posted on 11/5/14 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Because the hub would just drop off the upright? Without the drive shaft through it, and the nut nut to keep it all nipped up
Gear Monkey

posted on 11/5/14 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Would it not be a simple task to turn up a blank to solve the problem?
austin man

posted on 11/5/14 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Not necessarily true you can have the cv end turned down and still attach it to the hub its the Cv that holds it in place. There are other factors also to think about ie which side of the hub is the steering pickup point etc

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

designer

posted on 11/5/14 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
It's really not a great problem. As said, turn the CV end down to remove mass. Will probably be heavier than other choices.

Allan Staniforth did the same in 1964 with FWD Mini uprights on his Terrapins.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Gear Monkey

posted on 11/5/14 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. The other option I have is to re drill the mx5 hub pcd to accept ford wheels. I'm Only doing this as I'm having to create a freelander to ford back end and don't want mismatch wheels. I guess I could equally re drill the rear ford hubs to accept the mazda wheels.... I will find a bloody solution. It's Driving me nuts!!

Paul

jollygreengiant

posted on 11/5/14 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
It's really not a great problem. As said, turn the CV end down to remove mass. Will probably be heavier than other choices.

Allan Staniforth did the same in 1964 with FWD Mini uprights on his Terrapins.

MG did it on their last model, the MGF, with metro front sub-frames. They just removed the internals of the CV joint.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

austin man

posted on 11/5/14 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gear Monkey
Thanks guys. The other option I have is to re drill the mx5 hub pcd to accept ford wheels. I'm Only doing this as I'm having to create a freelander to ford back end and don't want mismatch wheels. I guess I could equally re drill the rear ford hubs to accept the mazda wheels.... I will find a bloody solution. It's Driving me nuts!!

Paul

why not splice the ford and Freelander driveshafts then you can use the ford hubs

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

iank

posted on 11/5/14 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
Unless you're fitting a spare (and fitting the same width wheels all around) the pcd of the front and rear wheels don't have to match so it doesn't matter - assuming you can find a wheel design you like with both pcd's available.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

DIY Si

posted on 12/5/14 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
I'm doing exactly this for my Sprite. I'm using Mini uprights and stub axles at the front, but will be machining the CV cup off the stub to save a load of mass. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with it at all, as long as the steering rack sits the right side of the upright. Or the steering arms bolt on, as per the Mini, so you can make it want you need.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Gear Monkey

posted on 12/5/14 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your help and info guys. So does anyone have any idea which hubs (lighter the better) are suitable for forward mounted steering racks??

Paul

Dingz

posted on 12/5/14 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

MG did it on their last model, the MGF, with metro front sub-frames. They just removed the internals of the CV joint.

Same as GTMs and the Elise!

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

b14wrc

posted on 13/5/14 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
I am not sure your correct about the Elise, lotus made its own alloy hubs front and rear.

Rob

20vt powered rear engined locost

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.