Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: diy steering column and general weight loss
Gear Monkey

posted on 13/5/14 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
diy steering column and general weight loss

Hello guys,

Anyone made there own column? I'm looking to trim weight from all the little bits here and there and can see potential to lose a few lbs from the column. Are there IVA rules and regs (I assume there are) that apply and that I should work around? This would allow me to use a minimal more direct approach and the use of lighter materials. I have no need for adjustability as the only drivers will be me and my brother so building everything around our dimensions.

Also what other components will help to trim weight? Any lighter racks out there that work well? I'm targeting as close to 400kg as possible.

Paul

snapper

posted on 13/5/14 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
IVA requires collapsable section and column offset so it does not punch through your chest
Usualy needs 2 universal joints
Rack outers are usually alloy, inners have to be steel

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

blakep82

posted on 13/5/14 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
IVA requires collapsable section and column offset so it does not punch through your chest
Usualy needs 2 universal joints
Rack outers are usually alloy, inners have to be steel

Mmm, not quite, as I remember. Theres no requirement for a collaping section, although it is a very good idea

The manual has a list of safety features which are accepted, and requires at least one, but has to be well designed

Collapsible is one, 2 offset universal joints (each offset by at least 15degrees) is another. Either should be ok, both is obviously better

The manual is free to download and linked below. You really should be reading it before building and know it inside out. I used to but My build has taken a bit of a stall, so I've not kept up with any recent changes

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mcerd1

posted on 13/5/14 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
Theres no requirement for a collaping section, although it is a very good idea

^^ as he said, there are other ways round this without using the collapsible column from a donor (see the IVA manual)

but its got to be better with both (afterall you've only got one chest!)

the column doesn't weigh that much compared to the rest of the donor bits so I'm be looking elsewhere for the weight saving (unless you find a donor with lighter collapsible column)

[Edited on 13/5/2014 by mcerd1]

-

loggyboy

posted on 13/5/14 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Raw do a basic column, its still IVA compliant:

I suspect its made up of Rally design components or similar.

Mistral Motorsport

FuryRebuild

posted on 13/5/14 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm -I could see a carbon fibre column and steering wheel would be great - more feedback from the wheels, and mass reduced from up-high.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

The Black Flash

posted on 13/5/14 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
Theres no requirement for a collaping section, although it is a very good idea

^^ as he said, there are other ways round this without using the collapsible column from a donor (see the IVA manual)

but its got to be better with both (afterall you've only got one chest!)

the column doesn't weigh that much compared to the rest of the donor bits so I'm be looking elsewhere for the weight saving (unless you find a donor with lighter collapsible column)

Agree, it's one of the last places I'd be looking to save weight I think. Can't see you'd save much on the bits in the engine bay really, it's just some splined steel bars, what else is there to use?. Maybe on the upper donor part, if you used some lighter material, but you'd want to make absolutely sure it was strong enough and probably end up overbuilding it just to be sure. Would you do better than the manufacturers with all their years of testing and know-how?

mcerd1

posted on 13/5/14 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
IVA manual:

quote:

3- The steering control and column assembly must provide adequate
protection to the driver by absorbing energy from a driver-steering
wheel impact. This is the case if the steering control has an
approval (evidence may be markings or documents), or is similar to
an approved steering control. The vehicle should be assessed
using the material in Annex 1.

4- The vehicle and steering column assembly must be designed such
that in the event of a frontal impact at 48km/h (30mph) the rearward
horizontal displacement and vertical displacement of the top of the
steering column and its shaft do not exceed 127mm. The vehicle
should be assessed using the material in Annex 1.

Annex 1 goes into a lot of detail - these are the highlights...

quote:

"An offset between the steering column and the input shaft of the steering rack or box:
In cases where an intermediate shaft is used, it will be connected to the steering column at one end and the steering rack or box at the other, by means
of universal joints and/or flexible couplings. The greater the angle through which the joints run, the more effective they will be in preventing movement
being transmitted up the steering column. While it is unlikely that joints of this type will work at angles above 30 degrees, they are unlikely to be effective
if the angle between the steering column and the intermediate shaft (when viewed from the side or the top of the vehicle) is less than 10 degrees."

"A telescopic intermediate shaft:
This is a common arrangement and may take the form for example of a sliding splined shaft, a sliding clamp arrangement on a non circular shaft (e.g.
triangular), or a device that permits disengagement of the upper column from the lower column."

"A collapsible element in the upper column:
This may take many forms. Expanded metal tubes or convoluted tubes (in association with sheer pins in the column shaft) or sliding splines are three of
the most common. These are designed primarily to allow the steering wheel and column to move away from the driver while absorbing some of his or
her deceleration if the driver were to hit the steering wheel."
Note: Driver impact against the wheel is still possible even when wearing a seat belt, particularly a fixed type rather than an inertia reel type.

-

DW100

posted on 13/5/14 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Think I'd be more worried about safety than weight in this area. Is this not how Ayrton Senna died?
trextr7monkey

posted on 13/5/14 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Coozer's your man for this stuff as he used to make them professionally'
hth
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

Gear Monkey

posted on 13/5/14 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the help guys. I've downloaded the IVA pdf which will come in very useful. I'm thinking of mounting the final section horizontally to place the steering wheel at 90 degrees. I'll make this section short to suit the regs and then run 2 UV joints at 15 degrees or more to the rack......Well that's the plan.

I'm looking to trim weight however small from all the components used as hoping to stay as close to 400kg as I can.

Thanks again

Paul

DIY Si

posted on 15/5/14 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
I'd be wary of putting the wheel vertical, you'll find it horrible to drive as your wrists have to do a lot more work. Ideally, it wants to face you, so tipped back at the top slightly.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Gear Monkey

posted on 15/5/14 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I'll make a mock up to get it just right. I guess things like wheel position and pedals are worth spending a bit of time on to get just right.

Paul

DIY Si

posted on 16/5/14 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
If at all possible, it's a good idea to build in a little bit of adjustment where you can. Whilst you may set the car up for you, with a certain seat and certain shoes on, should anything change being able to alter the position of the pedals and the wheel easily is never a bad thing.

Likewise, somewhere to rest your left foot can be invaluable. Many complain that their left leg goes dead/knee aches etc as they have to just have their foot floating. A little dent/bump on the tunnel panel or a bar across the floor can stop all that.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Gear Monkey

posted on 20/5/14 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the help guys, I've managed to get hold of a lightweight collapsible column from a Porsche 911

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.