Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ball joints
aliwizard

posted on 17/5/14 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
ball joints

hi can anyone tell me if there are any ball joints ,track rod, ends that fit in to the mazda upright ,I do not want to ream them out ,I want to keep the upright tapers as standard, top and bottom would be ideal , I want to build replacements for the original mazda ones cheers .
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 17/5/14 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
The Moog ES2074R balljoint is a direct swap for the top balljoint on mk1 and mk2 mx5's

Hard to find in the UK though. I bought mine form the states when I lived there.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Slimy38

posted on 17/5/14 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using a standard Mazda balljoint for the bottom, they're not exactly cheap but readily available. The top one is a balljoint from an E34 BMW 5 series.
aliwizard

posted on 18/5/14 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
ball joint

cheers for the replies when you say ball joint from the bmw ,is it a actual ball joint, or the outer track rod joint , I could do with a press in type like the mx5 cheers .
Slimy38

posted on 18/5/14 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aliwizard
cheers for the replies when you say ball joint from the bmw ,is it a actual ball joint, or the outer track rod joint , I could do with a press in type like the mx5 cheers .

Ah I get you. It's one of these;

BMW 5 SERIES E34 OUTER / INNER TRACK TIE ROD END NEW

I guess what Liam is talking about is closer to what you're after.

aliwizard

posted on 18/5/14 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
ball joint

cheers for the reply's. it might work ,I am going to make a rose jointed set ,as a replacement for the mx5 front upper ,the trouble is that the threaded part that will have to go in to a threaded boss ,it will be very close to the damper body ,I was thinking that I could cut the thread down to give me more room ,but even then it would be fixed in one position ,not a problem as I will be using rose joints on the inner end ,so I could get my caster ,camber from adjusting them, I really want to use bearings but cant find what I want ,I can get a 14 mm spherical bearing from mgillmotorsport but they don't do the cups or retaining clips ,any other good bearing suppliers that do cups clips ect ,cheers.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.