Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Slipper Clutch
Gear Monkey

posted on 21/5/14 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
Slipper Clutch

The scratch build zx9r powered beast is coming along a treat and I'm starting to think about ways to ensure it drives just the way I want it. As a biker I understand the benefits of a slipper when pushing hard and think one would be a great addition to the car especially on the track, however from a fair amount of googling it looks like there isn't a direct aftermarket clutch for my engine (2004 model). Do any of you guys have any experience with this??

Many thanks

Paul

dave_424

posted on 21/5/14 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
I thought that production of the ZX9 ended in 2003 so not sure if you are correct in thinking you have a 2004 model.

I do know that some people who have messed around with lockup clutches on the zx9 have trouble with breaking off the clutch puller but in the end they managed to get it working.

I have a turbo zx9 and will be adding more boost very shortly. I have barnett heavy duty clutch springs and that has held at 180bhp but if I start to get clutch slip I will look at stiffer springs or make my own lockup clutch.

Dave

aka Keith

posted on 21/5/14 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Paul,

I have looked into this in the past, and similarily have not ben able to find a direct slipper clutch replacement. I use my ZX9r BEC on the track and road and have not found the standard clutch an issue when pushing on at all.

I did read that the zx7r clutch can be modded to slip more http://homepage.ntlworld.com/webzxr/zxr750r/Features/slipperclutch.html
and that the 7 and 9 use the same clutch basket, so I expect that you could do the same for you zx9r clutch. but as I said having done many miles at pace, and a number of trackdays, I have never found the stock set up to be an issue.

hope that helps
cheers
Craig

Gear Monkey

posted on 25/5/14 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Guys, That's put my mind at rest

Paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.