Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Old member, "new" car
stephen_gusterson

posted on 29/7/14 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Old member, "new" car

Hi

Ive been a member here for years, (at one time the highest numbered poster!) but for the last 8+ years I havnt been on much at all. I had an over complicated build, got 80% complete, and then scrapped it due mainly to lack of time, and two other distractions.

One, was I did a box of bits rebuild of a kawasaki KH250 motorbike i got from ebay. Second, was I opted to buy a mk1 MX5 in leiu of the kit car project. I have actually had the car for around 8 years, and discovering this part of the forum to me is rather quirky, as it could be my way back in

I have quite an early car, its Dec 1990 registered and classic red. I bought it when it was 16 years old, only had two owners at that point, the second was a female owner who had it 15 years. Got it with 30,000 documented miles on the clock, its now got 44,000 and has spent virtually all its life in a garage under cover. Still has its original cam belt (!) which i hope to replace over winter.

Even with the low mileage, it still has a bit (not much) of MX5 sill rust. So, at least the kit car project helped there - i used my welding skills gained from that to repair the sills. Just needed 10 ins or so of the outermost panel on the driver side changed, and both of the rear sill / wheelarch panels at the lower 8 ins as they form the closed wall of the sill in front of the back wheel, replaced. I had garaged it for 3 years as i didnt want to drive something that didnt look its best. So, in a weeks time, its in for its MOT. Just in time for summer to end.

ATB

steve

Dick Axtell

posted on 29/7/14 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
So that's where you've been! Welcome back, Mr. G.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

jacko

posted on 29/7/14 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Yes welcome back
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jollygreengiant

posted on 29/7/14 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, indeed, A very big welcome back Mr G.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

theconrodkid

posted on 29/7/14 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
a blast from the past indeed

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

stephen_gusterson

posted on 29/7/14 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all, for remembering me and the welcomes I have dipped in a couple times before, and not kept it up, perhaps i can do better this time

I do find it incredible that so many people here from 10+ years ago are still regulars with 5 figure post levels. And I thought i used to be well into this forum back in the day.

steve

steve m

posted on 29/7/14 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mr G

You still have a higher post count than I do, and not been on here for more than 10 years !

Steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

nick205

posted on 30/7/14 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome back Steve - always wondered what happened to you and your scratch build.

Good to see you haven't lost the passion.

James

posted on 30/7/14 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Gusterwotsit!

Good to see you back buddy!

All the best with the MX5!
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.