Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: diesel engine, should it just run on easystart alone
rotax78

posted on 26/10/14 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
diesel engine, should it just run on easystart alone

The diesel engine on my 06 plate Vauxhall Movano (Renault Master) just stopped whilst driving. The AA came out and recovered me, but first he plugged in his code reader but found no fault codes and it wouldn't read any live data, he then gave it a wiff of easystart and it didn't even try to run on that. He said could be alsorts (crank sensor etc) but now that i've given it a bit of thought, if it was an electrical type fault wouldn't it have at least tried to run on the easystart? Does this mean maybe looking towards compression (slipped timing belt etc)?
blakep82

posted on 26/10/14 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
I assumed easystart only ignites with a spark, rather than just compression, like diesels do (don't they?)
I'm not convinced, but I'm sure he knows more that I do

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Benzine

posted on 26/10/14 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
A whiff of hot sauce and my old diesel will start or at the very least start to pick up, too much and it'll start to run away and knock. It'll also start on thinners, panel wipe, anything in a can on the garage shelf. My dad's (modern) discovery, dead glowplugs in winter and a quick squirt of easy start and she fired up.

[Edited on 26-10-2014 by Benzine]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 26/10/14 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Dont keep trying it on easystart or else your in trouble.

Engines get addiction to it and refuse to start without it!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

rotax78

posted on 26/10/14 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
What i'm saying I suppose is, if i've got compression and fuel (easystart) shouldn't it least try? Regardless of what any electrical sensors, diesel pump / injectors etc are, or are not doing. Which is what made me think maybe it's slipped its timing belt or missing teeth leading to no compression.

[Edited on 26/10/14 by rotax78]

Benzine

posted on 26/10/14 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rotax78
What i'm saying I suppose is, if i've got compression and fuel shouldn't it least try?

If the ether is getting into the combustion chamber, and it has compression and all the valves are closed then it'll try and start yeah

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PAUL FISHER

posted on 26/10/14 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Yes it should run on easy start, even if its getting no fuel to the injectors, its best to get someone to turn it over while you spray it in.
The engine should just keep going as long as you keep spraying.

mk85

posted on 26/10/14 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
I had a passat 1.9tdi and ran out of fuel late one night. I managed to get some diesel but had nothing to bleed it with tool wise. I pulled the induction pipe of and sprayed linx body spray into the inlet and the car actually ran on the spray aslong as I kept the deodorant going. 1 can lasted just enough for the pump to pull the deiseal up and actually ran alot smoother after this!!!
NigeEss

posted on 27/10/14 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
What i'm saying I suppose is, if i've got compression and fuel (easystart) shouldn't it least try? Regardless of what any electrical sensors, diesel pump / injectors etc are, or are not doing. Which is what made me think maybe it's slipped its timing belt or missing teeth leading to no compression.

Yes it should, so I'd agree and be looking at compression issues. Does it sound any different when turned over ?

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

mark chandler

posted on 27/10/14 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
Just use enough to get it started, it will ignite with less compression than is required for run a Diesel engine so really loads up the Pistons so just a sniff is all you need.
adithorp

posted on 27/10/14 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I'd expect it to at least attempt to fire on Easystart as long as it has compression.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

40inches

posted on 27/10/14 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
You need some "Start Ya Bastard" , apparently it's good for "Frail people who are not strong enough to pull a start cord quickly enough"

owelly

posted on 27/10/14 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
As said, a derv engine will run on Easystart as long as the compression is OK. Where did the recovery bloke squirt it? It needs to be as close as possible to the head!!
Just for info: engines don't get addicted to Easystart! Folks use Easystart to get an engine running but don't fix the original problem.......hence it won't start without it!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

nick205

posted on 27/10/14 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mk85
I had a passat 1.9tdi and ran out of fuel late one night. I managed to get some diesel but had nothing to bleed it with tool wise. I pulled the induction pipe of and sprayed linx body spray into the inlet and the car actually ran on the spray aslong as I kept the deodorant going. 1 can lasted just enough for the pump to pull the deiseal up and actually ran alot smoother after this!!!

Did you end up with women chasing you down the road?

MikeRJ

posted on 27/10/14 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Just for info: engines don't get addicted to Easystart! Folks use Easystart to get an engine running but don't fix the original problem.......hence it won't start without it!

Easystart in diesels can cause bad pre-ignition which damages injector pintles and piston rings. The resulting degradation in spray pattern and loss of compression means the engine then has even less chance of starting without Easystart. This is why the story of "addiction" came about.

In answer to the OP's question, a friends transit died on the road a couple of months back, and the fault was later traced down to water in one of the ECU connectors (i.e. cam timing and compression was fine). At the time we tried Easystart to see if we could limp it home, but it simply wouldn't start, though it did knock quite horribly a couple of times.

[Edited on 27/10/14 by MikeRJ]

britishtrident

posted on 27/10/14 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
If it won't kick on EezyStart it would make me think something is far wrong, these engines have a history of turbo blow ups.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Slimy38

posted on 27/10/14 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mk85

I suppose it would make a change from following all the veggie oil runners who just smell like mobile chip shops!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.