Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mk1 exhaust manifolds
cb500t

posted on 2/11/14 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
Mk1 exhaust manifolds

My MK1 1.8 came with a standard fit 4-1,but does the later MK2 4-2-1 fit and flow netter?
rdodger

posted on 2/11/14 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
The general wisdom is the MK2 manifold does flow a little better.

chillis

posted on 21/4/15 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cb500t
My MK1 1.8 came with a standard fit 4-1,but does the later MK2 4-2-1 fit and flow netter?

From my own experiences and experiments there would appear to be no significant difference in gas flow through the two types. Mazda fitted the 4-2-1 manifold to improve mid range torque to satisfy mainly the US market. ( to my mind the mk1 has enough torque but always seems short on power up top - but then I like my sports car engines to feel like sports car engines)

The limiting factor in the MX5 exhaust I have always found to be the stock back box. As far as the manifold is concerned a good after market one is the way to go but its only worth the money if you plan other mods like high comp. pistons and cams.
There is little however that is bolt on and works with the mk1 engines due to the low compression ratio, which is why the only bolt on that does work is a turbo kit.

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.