Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MAZDA MX5 Supercharged/ Piggy Back Devices
Dooey99

posted on 12/1/15 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
MAZDA MX5 Supercharged/ Piggy Back Devices

has anyone supercharged a 1.6 Mazda MX5?

my mate has asked me to help him supercharge it as it he isnt confident to supercharge it himself, ive suggested getting a megasquirt ECU to run it however, hes also asked me about ECU PIGGY BACK devices, has anyone ever used one when supercharging or turboing an engine, i have seen people use them to do just this but know one says what device they used.

im confident with using a megasquirt but would really like some info on piggy back ECUs as really im just interested i know some alter just the timing some can alter fuel delivery aswell.

any help is much appreciated

Thanks

Less weight more speed, more power more speed

If in doubt, give it a clout

theduck

posted on 12/1/15 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Megasquirt is used on most boosted mx5 engines. I cant see a piggy back ecu being able to do a proper job tbh and a "proper" one would cost as much as a megasquirt anyway.
PorkChop

posted on 12/1/15 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
The most popular piggy backs for a boosted 5 would be a GReddy E-Manage or a Jackson Racing Powercard. The majority do use a Megasquirt nowadays though.
bi22le

posted on 12/1/15 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
You can boost a MX5 with the stock ECU but not by much. Goggle is your friend.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Stot

posted on 12/1/15 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
I have turbo-ed my 1.6. based kit using a Microsquirt V3. Basically a SMD sealed Megasquirt V2 with limited in/outputs aimed at bike market but plenty to run an MX5 well.

One went on Ebay this week for just £140. New ones are going for ~£280. Way better than a piggy back or band aids but you will need to wire it in yourself.

Cheers
Stot

rotax78

posted on 13/1/15 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
I have supercharged mine and built a megasquirt up from a kit tof parts, i enjoyed building the ms and it ran well on it, but i am now running it on a ms built by a guy called reverand, hes on turbo miata, mx5nutz etc. I would recommend buying a ms built by him, it will come plug and play (plugs into the existing ecu socket) with an excellent map and second to none aftersales. He offers various options from basic to more specced, I have switchable maps, launch control etc. And honestly unless you fancy the challenge, just speak to him. Financially I wouldn't bother building my own again, and if you want to sell it on they are always in demand.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.