Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bollocks (Lollipod nuking my Nexus 7)
BenB

posted on 14/1/15 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Bollocks (Lollipod nuking my Nexus 7)

Aaaaaagh!
So I've got a 2012 Nexus 7 and it's been just fine for the last year or so since I bought it (I bought it just after the 2013 model came out). So today I switched it on after a year + of happy tabletting and it said the Lollipod update was available. Oh boy- big mistake. I thought only Apple bricked older models to get people to upgrade. Half the apps crash when I start them, it takes about 2 minutes to start up and what's with the hidden features. It looks exactly the same as Kitkat but performs worse... Aaaagh. Why did I get suckered in to "upgrading". Desperately trying hard resets as we speak.

Sorry- just rebooted it- the talk of 2 minutes to start up was inaccurate. Try 3-4 minutes. Still a swirling and a whirling.

David Jenkins

posted on 14/1/15 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the warning - I also have an older Nexus 7.

My Nexus 4 phone was upgraded a month or two back, and I'm not impressed - mostly I can see no difference apart from the new bugs. For example, I used to turn on my phone, see the pretty pattern, enter my PIN then unlock. Now I see the pretty pattern, unlock, wait a while until I get asked to enter the PIN then, when I try to unlock, it says I have to wait 30 seconds...

cloudy

posted on 15/1/15 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
THere was a patch to fix this - try checking for system updates again... 5.0.1 or something

www.warnercars.com

David Jenkins

posted on 15/1/15 at 05:54 AM Reply With Quote
I'm on 5.0.1

HowardB

posted on 15/1/15 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
I believe that 5.0.2 is available and fixes some of the issues

Hth

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

scudderfish

posted on 15/1/15 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
You can download any previous OS release for it from here https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images
Irony

posted on 15/1/15 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Root it! I rooted my first nexus 7. Worked a treat!
philw

posted on 15/1/15 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
Root it! I rooted my first nexus 7. Worked a treat!

Good job this is not an Australian site

Must try harder

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 15/1/15 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
tis interesting. there was a lot of chat about the earlier releases being terrible, well 5.0.0

I am on a custom 5.0.2 Rom on my LG G2 and it is far better then kitkat on performance and battery life.

the interface needs some more control and the lack of being able to remove the lock screen when you have a smart watch / bluetooth device attached is really annoying!

hopefuily 5.0.2 will be out of the nexus for you too, if not already as that seemed to bring the fixes.

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 15/1/15 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
http://forum.xda-developers.com/

might have some tips.

johnemms

posted on 15/1/15 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Root it!
I tried out lollipop - different Roms .. didn't fancy it...

Own chassis & Build - First time pass!!
"7's" aren't really "cars", they are 'experiences"

JeffHs

posted on 15/1/15 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
My 2012 Nexus 7 was just the same. After extolling its virtues to everyone for 2 years it turned instantly into a piece of crap. I finally got 5.0.2 'over the air' last week and it's better but nowhere near as quick as it used to be. Yesterday after a reboot there was an automatic 'regrading android' message. I don't know what that did and its too early to say if it's fixed, but I would say it's now almost usable but last night I nearly threw it across the room in frustration.
Apparently the problem is due to memory leak where android itself grabs memory and does not release it until the whole thing grinds to a halt.
Wait for 5.0.2 and hope that it recovers, and send feedback to google - mine got increasingly irate. I like to think it was my comparison of their crap OS to the MS blue screen of death that kicked them into action!

v8kid

posted on 15/1/15 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Ok what are the pros and cons of rooting?

Must be some bad stuff or everyone would do it?

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Chris_Xtreme

posted on 15/1/15 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.xda-developers.com/root/

explains it all

ravingfool

posted on 15/1/15 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
I just picked up a second hand 1st gen nexus a couple of weeks before Christmas and I'm really enjoying it.

I bought specifically to install in the dash of my mx5 and for that purpose I rooted and flashed a custom rom which has some specific goodies for a car installation (Timur's ROM) if you're looking around.

Fantastic stuff, great tablet. Timurs ROM is based on a previous iteration of the operating system but there's no problems caused by that. All the current versions of apps run without any problems (including latest Google Now etc). Whilst I've been waiting for a final cable which will allow me to finish my installation at the weekend I've been playing with the tablet and took it away to France over xmas for navigation duties.

If it's really going slowly with the latest build then you'll have to do some reading at XDA forums and work out how to flash a previous version which you were happier with. I'm not going to try and give you advice because there is tons out there and I barely taught myself enough to do what I wanted and am not in a position to really help others! I spent a good few hours reading but it wasn't hard once you'd found out what all the funny terms really mean.

Root - access to normally restricted permissions
flash ROM/Kernel - install slightly amended operating system

Dale

posted on 15/1/15 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ravingfool
Just a note on the nexus in car, You will find that the tablet is polarized ( I have the same first gen) and when you turn it to landscape the display will disappear if your wearing polarized sunglasses.
Dale

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

v8kid

posted on 15/1/15 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris_Xtreme
http://www.xda-developers.com/root/

explains it all

Bu66er I did not understand a single word!!

I guess in that case there are no advantages to an ungeek in rooting! Apart from the Aussie ones that is.

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ravingfool

posted on 16/1/15 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dale
Hi Ravingfool
Just a note on the nexus in car, You will find that the tablet is polarized ( I have the same first gen) and when you turn it to landscape the display will disappear if your wearing polarized sunglasses.
Dale

Interesting comment! If this gives me a problem I'll know I'm not going mad!

To be perfectly honest I've not tried looking at the tablet at all wearing sunglasses but that seems very odd for an item designed to be used both landscape and portrait?!

Fortunately I live in England and need to wear sunglasses approx once a year - whilst on holiday

eta: a quick google suggests that this is not a nexus 7 point but more an LCD issue but on reflection I don't think any of my sunglasses are likely to be polarised anyway.

[Edited on 16/1/15 by ravingfool]

Dale

posted on 16/1/15 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
It totally messed my plans up as I use the nexus to run torque on my service car - just turned over 572,000 km yesterday. Non polarized sunglasses are ok.
dale

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

David Jenkins

posted on 16/1/15 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
An update: my Nexus 7 was updated to 5.0.2 last night!

It's noticeably slower to start. and there's a period of a minute or two afterwards where all the apps run slow. It doesn't seem much different apart from that, once you get past the 'notifications on the lock screen' question (who wants notifications in a hurry on a WiFi only tablet?)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.