Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Driverless F1???
woodster

posted on 13/2/15 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Driverless F1???

Will we one day watch F1 without drivers ? It's not that far off with this study

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11410261/Driverless-car-beats-racing-driver-for-first-time.html

philw

posted on 13/2/15 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
That would just be Scalextric on TV, wouldn't it?

[Edited on 13/2/2015 by philw]

Must try harder

loggyboy

posted on 13/2/15 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Faster on a single timed lap maybe, will be years before AI will replicate the thought process needed to race wheel to wheel.

Mistral Motorsport

blakep82

posted on 13/2/15 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Surely the car is only driving the way its been programmed to? Speed, braking, steering input etc.
You couldn't just programme its gps route and expect it to perform like that. What would happen to that audi if it started raining? It couldn't react to the change in conditions, could it?
I guess it will have been driven round a track, and the car recording the route, speed, and steering angles (to which it can make corrections itself)
Nah, I don't see it.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

loggyboy

posted on 13/2/15 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
Surely the car is only driving the way its been programmed to? Speed, braking, steering input etc.
You couldn't just programme its gps route and expect it to perform like that. What would happen to that audi if it started raining? It couldn't react to the change in conditions, could it?
I guess it will have been driven round a track, and the car recording the route, speed, and steering angles (to which it can make corrections itself)
Nah, I don't see it.

Gps systems based on replicating a fixed route have been around for ages, id like to think as they have been brain tagging drivers this is actually a reactionary system rather than programmed.

[Edited on 13-2-15 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

James

posted on 13/2/15 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
The thing with F1 is that although it's the Contructors that generates all the money and the thing the team are interested in, it's the drivers that drive (hah!) the public interest.

If you took away the WDC then you'd be losing more than 50% of the interest in the sport!

James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Mr Whippy

posted on 13/2/15 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
and I thought F1 had got as boring as it could get
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Smoking Frog

posted on 13/2/15 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
There won't be much difference, the drivers are like robots anyway.
woodster

posted on 13/2/15 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Can you imagine how insane it would feel sitting in the back whilst that Audi drove itself around oulton park at race speeds or sitting in the back going along the M6 at 70 ....... White knuckle ride .... But I guess in our life times it's going to happen
bart

posted on 13/2/15 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
I have a better idea
Why not remote control
Drivers would take more risk with less personal danger
would retain at least driver control
With driver weight gone and asociated bits they could use more battery power and smaller higher revving engines . Power could be capped but not torque that would encourage better engine development and not chasing hp

BE ALERT > BRITAIN NEEDS LERTS

designer

posted on 13/2/15 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
It was reported that Ferrari sent a driverless car around their test track years ago.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 14/2/15 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah this will be terrain sensing and doing it's own steering and braking rather than just spitting out changes from a pre-determined route (which was done about 15 years ago). THere's no reason why AI can't be as fast or faster at this sort of thing than a human - it's a very narrow requirement field and there's really very few likely scenarios that would trouble it (Which is why commercial airliners have been capable of self launch/fly/land for about a decade but no-one trusts them to do it fully). Computers don't do stupid things like put themselves into a stall and continue to pull up. There's also no reason why it would be a single timed lap, perfectly possible it's running a genetic/learning process and fine tuning itself lap on lap by attempting variations of inputs to see how the outputs change. Sorry folks but AI is a lot more advanced than you think!

I'd probably watch it more than I do with F1 to be honest because I suspect you'll see computers doing things you REALLY don't expect because they're able to plan ahead so much better - human drivers struggle to drive AND do much more than plan the next 2 corners, add a couple of cores and the computer could be analysing positions, making millisecond calculations on pitstop timing etc. What would probably kill it is the human programming it to be too conservative so they didn't destroy a super-expensive car.

[Edited on 14/2/15 by coyoteboy]

spiderman

posted on 14/2/15 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Scientists predict motorists could soon be transported by autonomous cars with the driving skills of Michael Schumacher

Strange to use that reference, as unfortunately most people can drive a car quicker than Schumacher. I think it would have been better to use a current F1 driver as a reference. Rather poor judgement on the part of the journalist in my opinion.

I do hope that Michael makes a full recovery but I fear it will be a very long road to recovery possibly without an end to it.

All the best to Michael and all his family, friends as they will all be travelling along that same difficult path.

Spider

coyoteboy

posted on 14/2/15 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Strange to use that reference, as unfortunately most people can drive a car quicker than Schumacher. I think it would have been better to use a current F1 driver as a reference. Rather poor judgement on the part of the journalist in my opinion.

They said his skills, not him. I don't see its worth getting overly precious about it.

spiderman

posted on 14/2/15 at 01:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:

They said his skills, not him. I don't see its worth getting overly precious about it.

Well his driving skills are not that good at the moment are they! Some of us have a bit more compassion for people who have had unfortunate accidents, especially when you know people in the same condition. A bit of thought and consideration might not have gone amiss.

Spider

Camber Dave

posted on 14/2/15 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Slightly OT maybe, but 2 of the drivers of the winning Nissan at the Bathurst 12 hours last weekend were experienced gamers that hadn't even sat in a race car until they joined the Nissan Academy 2 years ago.

Watch the last 15 Mins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54fS8XRUP2I&feature=youtu.be

woodster

posted on 14/2/15 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
i would have thought that a good part of how fast you drive around a track comes down to how big your town halls are something a machine won't be worrying about would be getting injury or dying in a crash.
coyoteboy

posted on 17/2/15 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Well his driving skills are not that good at the moment are they! Some of us have a bit more compassion for people who have had unfortunate accidents, especially when you know people in the same condition. A bit of thought and consideration might not have gone amiss.

Can't see how you can take offence at it TBH, unless you're looking to take offence. Personally I prefer to gloss over these things and not look at everything so negatively.

Irony

posted on 17/2/15 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
I think driverless F1 would be a vast improvement over our existing F1. There would be much lower safety restrictions and they could take away all the silly technology restrictions. Imagine F1 without regulations!!!!!!!!!!! As many tires as you want, as wide as you want, unlimited capacity engines and turbos. Think of the new innovations that the industry would develop that would eventually filter down to road cars.

Maybe the BBC would be bothered to pay for the rights to show it.

[Edited on 17/2/15 by Irony]

scimjim

posted on 17/2/15 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboyYeah this will be terrain sensing and doing it's own steering and braking rather than just spitting out changes from a pre-determined route (which was done about 15 years ago).
I think Navlab was over 30 years ago wasn't it? And Prometheus (sp?) made autonomous autobahn trips around 20 years ago

coyoteboy

posted on 17/2/15 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Think Navlab5 was the mid 90s? Time flies, I forget how old I am!

spiderman

posted on 17/2/15 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:

Can't see how you can take offence at it TBH, unless you're looking to take offence. Personally I prefer to gloss over these things and not look at everything so negatively.

I just thought it a bit tactless using Schumacher as a reference, and you pipe up saying not to get overly precious about it and then saying I'm looking to take offence.
Hope you have a nice day, I'm off to see my uncle later who had a fall down the stairs was in a coma for 3 months and is now in a "locked in state" or perhaps I should just gloss over it and not be negative.

Thank you for your comments.

Spider

coyoteboy

posted on 18/2/15 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in no way belittling your problems, just pointing out that everyone doesn't need to be careful about everything they say because always, everywhere, there's someone who may take offence at pretty much anything you say whether you meant it or not. The points were valid, are you suggesting ever mentioning Senna's skills from now on would be wrong also, because people have died since him too and someone might take offence? Not trying to be mean here, but there needs to be some perspective.

Good luck with your uncle, can't be fun.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.