Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Roofing...
Dave Bailey

posted on 11/10/15 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Roofing...

any roofers on here.. I have a very tough decision to make.... A family friend is re roofing my daughters property and has used Marley tiles edgemere which is a slate looking tile. Marley recommend broken bond but the guy has laid them straight bond. Any roofers know if this is an issue?

Dave B

garyo

posted on 11/10/15 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
I've only done three or four roofs in my time so can't claim to be an expert. It's an interlocking tile so it might not matter, but I'd be more worried about why he made that decision and then be looking at the detail of everything else he's done.

In case you didn't already know, you'll find a 100% answer on diynot.com

loggyboy

posted on 11/10/15 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
What lap did he use?

Mistral Motorsport

Daimo_45

posted on 12/10/15 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Interlocking tiles normally have an overlap with a weather channel so they should be watertight but the tiles are laid broken bond on the Marley website and it's always best to stick to what the manufacturer reccomends and what the tile was designed for.
van cleef

posted on 12/10/15 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
I'm a roofer by trade with 20 years of experience and I've worked for Marleys before and I know their products inside out.

Marley Edgemere can be laid, straight bond with out any problems with water ingress, but..... It'll look utter crap with the bonds not being split. My concern is if he's not even clued up about breaking the bonds, what other fundamental mistakes could he be making?

There are two styles of this tile the plain edgemere and the edgemere duo. Which one are you using as the edgemere duo won't look quite as bad laid in a straight bond.

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/10/15 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
I used Marley tiles on my house and garage, only reason I can see someone using straight bond is to make it quicker to build. With the overlap running from top to bottom it means every tile is contributing to the water on the next tiles overlap rather onto a solid section so I think you have a much greater chance especially in torrential rain of water getting past and onto the roof frame. No chance I’d use that method, also if Marley don’t recommend it that may reduce the guarantee cover they are ever willing to give as may the insurance company too who would spot that very easily.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gregs

posted on 12/10/15 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bailey
any roofers on here.. I have a very tough decision to make.... A family friend is re roofing my daughters property and has used Marley tiles edgemere which is a slate looking tile. Marley recommend broken bond but the guy has laid them straight bond. Any roofers know if this is an issue?

Dave B

How far in is he? -if he's only a day in then I'd personally get it correctted. if it's finished well....

Greg

Dave Bailey

posted on 12/10/15 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the feedback guys... I spoke to him this morning and he has agreed to change to broken bond.. He has excellent reviews on checkatrade so I am hoping it is just a genuine mistake... It is a 1920s detached house and has a few issues to resolve... He is listed as a general builder and has been at it for 20 plus years. I think the issue here is that he is an apprentice served bricky and maybe does not do roofs too often.. He has used some odd techniques but I guess I have to give him the benefit of the doubt... He did at least agree to correct it. It is a gable front rear property and I was surprised to see that on the verge he used a plastic board then filled with expanded foam prior to pugging in the edges of the tiles.

The tiles he used are not the duo..

slaterepairs

posted on 1/1/16 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Please can you give us an update and maybe some pics please?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dave Bailey

posted on 1/1/16 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hi... It's all been corrected now...the only small issue is that the half tiles were cut rather than actual half tiles... We learnt that doing work with people you know that are close to the family is not always a good idea... I don't have any pictures but could snap some if you want to see it...

Dave B

slaterepairs

posted on 1/1/16 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the swift response,

A picture or two is always good to see.

Working with family is the same thing or just as bad

Emergency Roof Repairs Edinburgh

[Edited on 1/1/16 by slaterepairs]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.