Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA application
wandr

posted on 17/11/15 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
IVA application

Hi all
I aim to be IVA ready about next March, can anyone tell me what I need to do first, get a VIN number or just book it or what, if I need a VIN first how do you get one and also there appears to be two centres in Southampton (Northam and Botley) which I think is where I would have to go as being most local to me. Any help or advice much appreciated

russbost

posted on 17/11/15 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
If you've bought a manufacturers chassis they should have given you a VIN no., if not you can simply make up your own, must be 17 characters long, usually starts with letters & ends with no.'s; needs to be on the OSF of the chassis permanently marked, I use an etching tool, don't be tempted to use stamps on the chassis, unless you can support from the inside of the tube you will simply bend the tube. If using stamps then stamp a piece of steel plate then weld it securely to the chassis. You also need to have a "manufacturers plate"affixed with manufacturer & chassis no. on it, I also add the axle & DGW weights on mine.

Can't advise re testing station, but I'm very surprised if you have 2 local to Southampton, they seem to be closing quite a few!

You will need your VIN no. before you can fill in IVA paperwork

[Edited on 17/11/15 by russbost]

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Irony

posted on 17/11/15 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Personally I would just request a VIN if you don't have one. The IVA process is complicated enough without adding extra things in that can go wrong. Make sure you direct all correspondents directly to Kits and Rebuilds directly. You can find their address by searching on here. For the VIN simply send them and email to this address.

DVLAvin@DVLA.gsi.gov.uk

As Russ said you need to mark the VIN on the chassis. I bought a Tungsten Carbide bit for my chinese dremel and did it in 10 minutes. Don't bother stamping or welding.

This was my manufacturers plate.

Description
Description

Note the line separating the data. The left side is required the right side for my information only. If you don't separate them with a line then its a fail.

posted on 17/11/15 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Indeed, apply for a number. Mine started with letters DVLA

Take note of who dealt with it and address (or phone) any future correspondence to that person.

Half of any problems that arise are because it gets passed from pillar to post and each person or department
has a variation on the rules.

I dealt with a lady called Danielle Dymond, Kiits & Rebuilds. She could not have been more helpful.

serieslandy

posted on 17/11/15 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
As said you need to apply for a vin.
I had my IVA in Northam, Southampton (botley only does trucks).
They were fine. I think I had Mark, he helped as much as he could and let me go and buy some mirrors and change them so I could pass first time.

Iva application:
1st May Friday iva forms posted
6th received at Swansea
8th applied for v55/5 form (online)
8th paid for test £450
19th v55/5 form recieved
22nd rec email from Vosa.
22nd phoned Southampton centre.
6th June iva test 8am
9th June forms posted RMSD
End of June recieved number plate after chasing swansea

HTH

wandr

posted on 17/11/15 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
one other thing does the fact that it is a home built chassis complicate the matter at all (with regard to chassis info plate etc?) there is not any part of the car that has come from one vehicle, engine,axle,g/box etc are all sourced from various sources.
russbost

posted on 17/11/15 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
If you tell DVLA that then you will get a Q plate, doesn't really affect IVA, if you don't want a Q plate then make it clear to them that the chassis is new (ie built from new steel in this case) & then make sure they are aware that as much as possible has come from one donor. IIRC it is 1 point each for engine, gearbox, each axle, brakes, steering, a new chassis gives you 5 points you need 8 to qualify for an age related plate.

For IVA be prepared to show build pics etc. so they can see the car is amateur built

Also for IVA you will need to specify axle weights, if you've built to one of the books then that info should be readily available

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
big-vee-twin

posted on 17/11/15 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Please don't make up your VIN you are no longer allowed to do this.

You need to get one from DVLA.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

russbost

posted on 17/11/15 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin

When did that change - I've just had 2 customers cars through IVA (one was only retested yesterday!) & both have VIN no.'s which we supplied?

wandr

posted on 18/11/15 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks for all replies, most helpful
kingster996

posted on 18/11/15 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin

When did that change - I've just had 2 customers cars through IVA (one was only retested yesterday!) & both have VIN no.'s which we supplied?

The DVLA are a law unto themselves!

They are 'supposed' to allow VIN numbers that are stamped by bona fide kit manufacturers but when I recently went through IVA they actually asked me to grind mine off and re-stamp a new VIN that they would supply!

I refused and argued the point - and Westfield were none too chuffed at the idea either - and eventually they agreed that I could use the stamped VIN.

Now, i my case it was all about the car getting a Q reg (quite deliberately I might add) - whereas if I'd been going for new or age related, they said it would have been fine.

Seems they have a 'process' that the 'computer' says 'new VIN' for a Q - even if it shouldn't.

So, bottom line, if you are building a Locost rather than using a kit manufacturer's chassis, then I'd apply for a VIN off the DVLA and save yourself any hassle further down the line. But if it is a supplied chassis with a number stamped on it by the likes of Westfield etc, then under no circumstances listen to any request to grind off the number.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.