Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Really hard to start until it's connected to another car!
lordbenny

posted on 23/2/16 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
Really hard to start until it's connected to another car!

Zetec Westfield is really hard to start from cold. It's got a brand new BIG battery so I know it's not that, it turns over ok but just keeps turning. It usually eventually starts up but today if just gave up until, on pressing the startebutton, I got nothing. As soon as I put the jump leads on it fired up first time. What could this be? Dodgy starter?
HowardB

posted on 23/2/16 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
check the voltage drop on cranking, there was another thread on here not long ago asking similar questions,...

thread

and here too

hthmore

[Edited on 23/2/16 by HowardB]

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

benchmark51

posted on 23/2/16 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Check the earth leads are tight and not getting warm when cranking. Try a jump cable from battery earth to starter body. Poor earth between engine and chassis have caused this problem several times for me in the past.
AntonUK

posted on 23/2/16 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar issue and after checking the above suggestions I pulled the starter open to find it full of crud. I cleaned it up and worked fine afterwards.

Build Photos Here

Sam_68

posted on 23/2/16 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benchmark51
Check the earth leads are tight and not getting warm when cranking. Try a jump cable from battery earth to starter body. Poor earth between engine and chassis have caused this problem several times for me in the past.

Yep, this would be my first best guess, too.

paulc

posted on 23/2/16 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar issue,

Turned out to be a build up of corrosion between the battery terminal and the cable clamp.

(look for a voltage between the terminal and the clamp when cranking)

Paul

garyo

posted on 24/2/16 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Had a similar problem - turned out to be fuel pressure drop on cranking, and lack of non-return valve. Easy way to test is to manually earth the injectors for half a second to fill the manifold with mist then try again. If it fires, then voltage drop/fuelling is the issue.

Did it ever work?

lordbenny

posted on 24/2/16 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going to get it rolling roaded in the spring....it's on carbs by the way....would they be able to adjust the static cranking voltage when hooked up to the ecu?
Phil_1471

posted on 24/2/16 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like an earth issue, check resistance from Earth terminal to various points with an decent ohm meter, or get a jump cable and Earth from battery to engine block etc and see if that sorts it..

You can live in a car but can't rally a house

lordbenny

posted on 24/2/16 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phil_1471
Sounds like an earth issue, check resistance from Earth terminal to various points with an decent ohm meter, or get a jump cable and Earth from battery to engine block etc and see if that sorts it..

Going to try this at the weekend and get back to you all....thanks.

britishtrident

posted on 24/2/16 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Not an unkown issue on Zetec transplants the problem is to do with EDIS giving too much advance at low speed for the Zetec due to a crank senor wiring issue.
The cause is likely be the Vrs+ and Vrs- wires on the crankshaft variable reluctor position sensor are reversed. This results in a phase shift in the sensor signal. The sensor should output a sine wave everytime a tooth passes the sensor but reversing the wires inverts it turning it into a cosine wave shifting the ignition timing by 10 degrees.

https://www.autosportlabs.net/images/5/54/EDIS_system_diagram.png

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

lordbenny

posted on 24/2/16 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Not an unkown issue on Zetec transplants the problem is to do with EDIS giving too much advance at low speed for the Zetec due to a crank senor wiring issue.
The cause is likely be the Vrs+ and Vrs- wires on the crankshaft variable reluctor position sensor are reversed. This results in a phase shift in the sensor signal. The sensor should output a sine wave everytime a tooth passes the sensor but reversing the wires inverts it turning it into a cosine wave shifting the ignition timing by 10 degrees.

https://www.autosportlabs.net/images/5/54/EDIS_system_diagram.png

Are you suggesting that I should swap the wires over?

Phil_1471

posted on 4/3/16 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
What was the verdict then?

You can live in a car but can't rally a house

lordbenny

posted on 4/3/16 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
That's a good question....I havnt cured the problem myself...it still is difficult start from cold. I am waiting for the weather to improve before I take it to Novatech for a tune up. http://www.novatech.info/contactus.html
AlanH

posted on 4/3/16 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a similar problem and posted it recently. Poor cold starting on a pinto. Starts OK when warm.
Checked earth and that's OK. Need to check voltage drop on battery next then I'll check for a lazy starter.

lordbenny

posted on 5/3/16 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
I tried connecting a jump lead from the negative Earth on the battery to the starter motor and I also removed the earth terminal where it meets the chassis and cleaned that up. I think my problem may lie in my start up procedure and the carbs. I have 45mm Dellortos so after turning on the fuel pum and waiting for everything t fill up I give it three pumps. I then turn over the engine not touching the throttle....I MIGHT start then but if you don't catch it, that's it's it! So, I'm now thinking it may be a carb issue. Will let you know once it's stopped showing!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.