Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Talon Diff help needed. Newby 1st post
Jasheuk

posted on 9/4/16 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Talon Diff help needed. Newby 1st post

Hi

I purchased a nearly finished Haynes roadste with Mx5 running gear. Having sorted the last few bits it was at the rolling road yesterday for the second time after the clutch failed on the first go.

All good this time, achieved 155 at the fly but had diff oil coming out from the breather on the diff case. I have just tried to remove it to see what the problem is, but it will not wind out, just turns round and round

I assumed it is threaded in the case, but I am now thinking it may have a nut on the inside and have to dismantle it.

Any help and advise would be great. Booked my first track day Wednesday so need to sort this asap.

Thanks James

Slimy38

posted on 9/4/16 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
No nut, it's just a welded thread on the case. It may have stripped or broken.

Dismantle it anyway, just to make sure of what's going on. They come apart very easily. It could just be overfilled, I did notice Talon put the filler plug at the same height as the original case so I took a guess that he designed it to be filled horizontally as it did on the donor.

He also warned me not to do anything too tightly...

hizzi

posted on 10/4/16 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
plenty stuff about mx5 diff breathers leaking on the web , general opinion is to fit a tube and catch bottle, theres a few other options with filters etc too
40inches

posted on 10/4/16 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hizzi
plenty stuff about mx5 diff breathers leaking on the web , general opinion is to fit a tube and catch bottle, theres a few other options with filters etc too

I think I would go with this, at least short term, I would put the bottle higher than the diff, with the breather tube at the bottom, so the oil drains back into the diff.

Jasheuk

posted on 10/4/16 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
It's not over full of oil so definitely the breather, but still no luck with getting it wound out.

Having taken a look this morning I can see its not going to be a quick job to remove the diff, open it up and put it all back together ready for Wednesday.

So I will go with the pipe and catch tank and just keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the replies, glad to have found you guys.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.