Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Building notice
corrado vr6

posted on 30/8/16 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Building notice

Hi all
Apologies for the off topic post.

I'm having a chimney stack removed below the roof line and patched over.
I have applied for building notice after being informed by my local council this was something I needed to do.
I applied online and I have was just wondering if anyone on here has ever done it as to how long they take?
Annoyingly I have a roofer booked in next week to start the work but I only found out about this building notice over the weekend.

Thanks in advance

http://r1indy7.wordpress.com/

coozer

posted on 30/8/16 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
If it was me I would just do it and keep me gob stuff..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Smokey mow

posted on 30/8/16 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
You can start works 48 hours after submitting a valid application.
loggyboy

posted on 30/8/16 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
But you will need to get an inspector out before sealing anything up he may need to see.

Mistral Motorsport

Sam_68

posted on 30/8/16 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Smokey mow

^^^ This.

That's the whole point of a Building Notice as opposed to the Full Plans application route: you tell them that you're planning to do the work, and you get on with it! It's up to them to shcedule the inspections, if they wish.

Building Notice is totally appropriate for this sort of work, by the way, so long as you're removing the whole of he stack and don't need engineer's calcs or details for the support of the upper part of it.

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 30/8/16 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
doesn't removing a chimney from the front of the house, ie visible from the road need planning permision?

I'm sure it did down my way as we had to leave it in/on when we converted the loft. I am sure i recall we could have removed the rear, but that would have looked odd so they both stayed.

might be worth a double check.

nick205

posted on 31/8/16 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
If you're still in Winchester a call to the planning office may help. With removed "permitted development rights" on my house I had to get planning permission to add a conservatory on the rear. Neighbours had already done this so there was no issue with getting it, but doing it properly enables clear sale of the property thereafter. I found the planning people very helpful before spending money.

ianhurley20

posted on 31/8/16 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
I'm in the process of building an extension, the council web site says they will respond to BC notice applications within 24 hours. After a week and nothing heard I rang to find the person who did the response was on holiday - for 7 weeks! and no one was doing her job. BUT someone was booking notices in and allocating a BC number - here it is, carry on with your build.
I would give them a ring.

coozer

posted on 31/8/16 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Surely if your just taking down the bit that pokes through the roof and leaving the rest its not a structural job???

Only thing I'd be a bit worried about is condensation if its sealed up..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

corrado vr6

posted on 31/8/16 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68
quote:

^^^ This.

That's the whole point of a Building Notice as opposed to the Full Plans application route: you tell them that you're planning to do the work, and you get on with it! It's up to them to shcedule the inspections, if they wish.

Building Notice is totally appropriate for this sort of work, by the way, so long as you're removing the whole of he stack and don't need engineer's calcs or details for the support of the upper part of it.

How do you know when it's a valid application?
Or is it just the case of well it's been 48hrs since I put in my application so off I go?

The chimney in question is at the back of the house and is only the bit sticking out the top that is being removed down below the roof line as it will never be used and has been poorly maintened by the previous owner
Thanks for all your comments

Smokey mow

posted on 31/8/16 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by corrado vr6
quote:
quote:

^^^ This.

How do you know when it's a valid application?
Or is it just the case of well it's been 48hrs since I put in my application so off I go?

The chimney in question is at the back of the house and is only the bit sticking out the top that is being removed down below the roof line as it will never be used and has been poorly maintened by the previous owner
Thanks for all your comments

It's valid if the application form has been completed accurately and the correct fee for the proposed works has been paid.

The reason you have to wait 48hrs is because this is the amount of notice (written or by telephone etc) that you are legally required to give to council in advance of commencement of works to give them the opportunity to inspect.

Sam_68

posted on 31/8/16 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
...and the correct fee for the proposed works has been paid.

This is the important bit!!

They'll generally be fairly flexible, so long as you give them the requisite notice and the money is in their bank account.

On the other hand, as a general rule no payment = no inspection = invalid.

If you're particularly bothered, pay the monet, then give the BC department a ring and make sure they've got the notification and are happy with it; you can always make it a courtesy call to ask if they need to arrange access for an inspection.

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 31/8/16 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
and take photos of how it was finished off, might help if an inspector doesn't come out, but can at least see....
corrado vr6

posted on 31/8/16 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Annoyingly the payment section wasn't working when I filed the application so I couldn't do that but. I thought they would have phoned or emailed requesting payment by now! I tried calling today but no one answered it just rang and rang

Sam_68

posted on 31/8/16 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
You do need to get payment through to them somehow, I would suggest - the majority of authorities have pretty strict rules these days about not dealing with applications until payment has been made.

Dontcha just love bureaucracy?

Smokey mow

posted on 31/8/16 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
You do need to get payment through to them somehow, I would suggest - the majority of authorities have pretty strict rules these days about not dealing with applications until payment has been made.

Dontcha just love bureaucracy?

Not really bureaucracy but legally if you stsrt works without submitting a valid application or giving the required notice period for inspections to be made then you are in contavention of the building regulation and therefore making yourself liable* for prosecution.

* although in reality unlikely

We will still inspect works where an application has not yet been recieved but will explicity state that the owner is working at thieir own risk and inspections are without prejudice. I can understand why some LA's wont insepect without an application though as extracting payment from home owners can be problematic particually after the job is complete and all the inspections have been made.

corrado vr6

posted on 1/9/16 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Thought I would give an update to this. Last night I emailed them and today I have had a reply and a request for payment which I have now paid.
After speaking with them on the phone I am now to let work start and then phone them regarding a site visit

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 1/9/16 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
glad they sorted it in time for you. hope there isn't too much dust!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.