Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Connecting to an old V2 Megajolt?
Nickp

posted on 22/11/18 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Connecting to an old V2 Megajolt?

I'm having trouble connecting to the V2 MJ that I just got off ebay.
I've powered it up and tried using 3.0.0 config software, which a quick google suggests should be compatible, but it just times out.
Anyone used 3.0.0 with a V2 OK?
Any other ideas to connect / troubleshoot before I try for a refund?

ttalps2000

posted on 22/11/18 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
what serial to usb adapter are you using? They are funny with cheap ones, i got mine from trigger wheels and was the only one that worked and connected!!
Nickp

posted on 22/11/18 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ttalps2000
what serial to usb adapter are you using? They are funny with cheap ones, i got mine from trigger wheels and was the only one that worked and connected!!

My laptop has a serial port.

ttalps2000

posted on 22/11/18 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
port selected correctly? Does the laptop actually pickup its connected?
Nickp

posted on 22/11/18 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ttalps2000
port selected correctly? Does the laptop actually pickup its connected?

It's COM1 and worked fine last time I used it on some of the old telecoms equipment at work.
Nothing changes in device manager when I plug the cable in and out but I'm not sure it should tbh.
I tried troubleshooting with hyperterminal, getting nothing back, but this only seems to be for V3/4 - https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/Troubleshooting_the_MegaJolt_Lite_Jr.

rf900rush

posted on 22/11/18 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Com port will not change in settings on windows if it is built in. USB versions will.

Com setting from google search on MJ states
Bits Per Second: 38400- for MJLJ V4 hardware, or 4800 - for V3 MJLJ hardware
Data Bits: 8
Parity: None
Stop Bits: 1
Flow Control: none

Easy way to test com port is working on your PC/laptop, link pins 2 and 3 on the 9 way plug and the keyboard on hyper-term should echo back

Are pins 2 and 3 connected correctly.
should they be wire 2-2 and 3-3 or 2-3 and 3-2

[Edited on 22/11/18 by rf900rush]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Nickp

posted on 23/11/18 at 06:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rf900rush
Com port will not change in settings on windows if it is built in. USB versions will.

Com setting from google search on MJ states
Bits Per Second: 38400- for MJLJ V4 hardware, or 4800 - for V3 MJLJ hardware
Data Bits: 8
Parity: None
Stop Bits: 1
Flow Control: none

Easy way to test com port is working on your PC/laptop, link pins 2 and 3 on the 9 way plug and the keyboard on hyper-term should echo back

Are pins 2 and 3 connected correctly.
should they be wire 2-2 and 3-3 or 2-3 and 3-2

[Edited on 22/11/18 by rf900rush]

Ta, I thought that was the case with the com port but wasn't 100%
I've tried both speeds (and a few more) with no joy but there's no mention of V2 unfortunately.
I don't use the serial port everyday but it has been used OK recently with hyperterm. I'll test it later anyway.
I've registered on the autosportlabs forum, just waiting admin approval. I'll ask the question on there before returning the unit.

Nickp

posted on 24/11/18 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Still having no joy connecting (still waiting for my austosportlabs forum registration to be approved) so I've suggested to the ebay seller that I may need a refund as the MJ unit appears to be faulty. Read from bottom to top. Surprising attitude from a fellow kit car owner.....

New message to: francischandler83
Most connectivity issues are due to people having to use a USB to serial adapter. I'm a telecoms engineer and have a laptop with a serial port allowing me to connect to older equipment like the MJ. This port along with the RS232 cable was used recently and is all good. The 3.0.0 SW was downloaded directly from the manufacturers website and is the one to use with a V2 MJ. I'm not sure of your background but my logic would suggest that there is a very very high probability that the issue lies with the MJ unit itself. Do you disagree?
francischandler83

From what I can see on the forums The programming of this unit is a very 'hit and miss' and is notoriously difficult. It can be down to laptop, drivers, conflicting software even before you get to the hardware itself. I cannot reasonably offer a refund when there are so many variables that could contribute to non connectivity. Whilst you indicate that you have tried on a laptop with serial cable, I cannot rule out other IT conflicts as a result.

Again given the variables I don't see how the unit I sold can be unequivocally identified as the issue.

Should you not agree we will have to go through eBay to decide, I'm sorry.
nickp997:

Sorry you feel like that, especially as a fellow kit car owner.
As per the item condition in the ad - The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended.
The item is not fully operational as it can't be programmed, which tbh is the main feature of this unit.
If you're not prepared to offer a refund then I'll take it up with ebay.
francischandler83

Hi Nick,
I'm sorry it still isn't working, and I have helped as much as I am able but as I stated re-programming is not something that I have done on this unit. Unfortunately you purchased the item as described in the advert and I do not offer refunds. As far as I am concerned I've sold the item as described in the advert there is little more I do.
nickp997:

I'm still not able to connect to the MJ I'm afraid. I've took advice but still no joy. I'll keep trying over the weekend as I really want it to work. If I can't then I'll have to request a refund to put the money towards something that works. Cheers Nick
francischandler83

I have never connected this Megajolt up to the software, it was installed in my Westfield when I purchased it, worked fine so didn't mess with it. I have just upgraded to a Nodiz Pro rather than the Megajolt V4, it meant I could uninstall the EDIS and tidy up the wiring.

I understand from the WSCC forum that you either need to connect serial to serial on the computer but given many computers don't have a serial connector you need a genuine USB to serial connector. I have read that there are a lot of people have had connectivity issues and it is down to getting the correct connector. Trigger-wheels was mentioned on the forum.

Hopefully the above helps and apologies for not having 1st hand experience.
nickp997:

Hi, I'm having trouble connecting to the Megajolt. I've powered it up and am using 3.0.0 configuration software which should work with a V2 apparently but it's just timing out. Any ideas? When was the last time it was connected to? A MJ that can't be configured is no use at all. Thanks in advance, Nick

rf900rush

posted on 25/11/18 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
Just had a quick Google

It seems that the early firmware revision uses JAVA software.

If you get no ware with the seller, you could try upgrading the firmware revision using the boot loader.

If the coms fails on this, it is unlikely to make things worse. It should not program with no Coms

A couple of other things you could try.

Remove the CPU IC and short out the TXD and RXD (transmit data receive data) pins. I am guessing PIN11 and 12 on the CPU

This should test the MAX232 ic using Hyperterm (loop back test)

I found this info here
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/MJLJ_V2_Downloads#Source_Code

not sure if this is the same as yours.
I only got to know the MegaSquirt V2.2 in any detail.

One thing to consider. I believe the mc68HC908KX8 IC is now obsolete.
Same problem with the V2.2 megasquirt.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Nickp

posted on 25/11/18 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the assistance rf900rush

I'd tried running the V2 java version but it says it says the following - requres Java COMM API installed and configured. I'm not sure what to do about this tbh and when I continue without it I get the following error-

javax/comm/UnsupportedCommOperationException

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/comm/UnsupportedCommOperationException
at org.megaJoltLiteJr.presentation.MegaJoltLiteJr.getIgnitionController(MegaJoltLiteJr.java:67)
at org.megaJoltLiteJr.presentation.MegaJoltLiteJr.readConfiguration(MegaJoltLiteJr.java:715)
at org.megaJoltLiteJr.presentation.MegaJoltLiteJr.reloadConfiguration(MegaJoltLiteJr.java:215)
at org.megaJoltLiteJr.presentation.MegaJoltLiteJr.<init>(MegaJoltLiteJr.java:61)
at org.megaJoltLiteJr.presentation.MegaJoltLiteJr.main(MegaJoltLiteJr.java:631)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.comm.UnsupportedCommOperationException
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
... 5 more

Just tried running this - Firmware programming software
This is the PC-based software counterpart to the bootloader firmware, used to update the MJLJ firmware.

It's a .exe file but nothing happens. Maybe I need to be connected to the MJ for anything to happen?

Nickp

posted on 25/11/18 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Just tried the .exe file whilst connected to the MJ. A screen pops up briefly then goes, no idea what it is or if it's doing anything.
However, after reading a bit on the MJ forum, I've just moved the mjljTune-2.0.3.jar file into the release_2.5.0 folder and placed it alongside the comm.jar file. I no longer get the java error message and the MJ config page opens OK. It now says 'Unable to open port COM1;unknown serial port'
This seems to be a step forward but now I'm unsure why it doesn't see a fixed COM1.

rf900rush

posted on 25/11/18 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
What version of windows are you running
It's just that alot of old software I have has issues on windows later than XP

Nickp

posted on 25/11/18 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rf900rush
What version of windows are you running
It's just that alot of old software I have has issues on windows later than XP

Win7 I believe. Run all sorts of antiquated SW on this work laptop tbh

AdrianH

posted on 25/11/18 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
I have a Megajolt lite Jr some where that may be of the same vintage, if I get chance I will see if I can still connect to it and let you know what settings if it helps?

Is that anything like yours?

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

Nickp

posted on 25/11/18 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdrianH
I have a Megajolt lite Jr some where that may be of the same vintage, if I get chance I will see if I can still connect to it and let you know what settings if it helps?

Is that anything like yours?

Adrian

You mean one you aren't using? Might be interested if I can't get this one working.

Nickp

posted on 25/11/18 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
This sounds similar to my issue- https://forum.autosportlabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=23
AdrianH

posted on 25/11/18 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
It is a long time since I played with the unit and had to download connections for it. It is a version 3 MJ lite Jr 2003 -2005 board.

It came to me second hand with the TPS input and I had fitted a MAP sensor to the unit as I was hoping to connected to my old CVH engine in the kit, but as I never got a CVH map for it I stayed with the EscHybrid engine system of the original car.

I have just tried it on 12 Volts and with my PC and it connected and runs in Configurator 3.3.2.

One thing that may be worth checking is your serial lead pin outs, the one I use is connected every pin 1 to 1, 2 to 2, 3 to 3 etc all up to pin 9 to pin 9. I notice on the MJ unit there is a link from pin 5 to pin 9 and this is connected to ground.

So it may well want pins 9 and 5 connected to pass back the Ring indicator to signal it is connected?

I was not trying to sell you the unit as from my point I have not had it working, although it does connect and and if I suck on a tube to the MAP it does register..

Check out your cable, if you wish to try and use my unit I can send it across as it s just sat here, but what type of input do you want TPS or MAP. Also I think there may be restrictions on the lite version to the standard version, but I am not aware of what they are at present?

Adrian

p.s. I use an old XP laptop with built in serial port.

[Edited on 25-11-18 by AdrianH]

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

Nickp

posted on 25/11/18 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdrianH
It is a long time since I played with the unit and had to download connections for it. It is a version 3 MJ lite Jr 2003 -2005 board.

It came to me second hand with the TPS input and I had fitted a MAP sensor to the unit as I was hoping to connected to my old CVH engine in the kit, but as I never got a CVH map for it I stayed with the EscHybrid engine system of the original car.

I have just tried it on 12 Volts and with my PC and it connected and runs in Configurator 3.3.2.

One thing that may be worth checking is your serial lead pin outs, the one I use is connected every pin 1 to 1, 2 to 2, 3 to 3 etc all up to pin 9 to pin 9. I notice on the MJ unit there is a link from pin 5 to pin 9 and this is connected to ground.

So it may well want pins 9 and 5 connected to pass back the Ring indicator to signal it is connected?

I was not trying to sell you the unit as from my point I have not had it working, although it does connect and and if I suck on a tube to the MAP it does register..

Check out your cable, if you wish to try and use my unit I can send it across as it s just sat here, but what type of input do you want TPS or MAP. Also I think there may be restrictions on the lite version to the standard version, but I am not aware of what they are at present?

Adrian

p.s. I use an old XP laptop with built in serial port.

[Edited on 25-11-18 by AdrianH]

Nice one AdrianH I'll send a u2u

Oddified

posted on 25/11/18 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
If your on Win7, check it is NOT 64bit. Many old types of software which need the serial port only work properly with a 32bit machine. If it is 64bit, don't bother trying to run the software in compatibility mode, it won't help you.

Ian

gremlin1234

posted on 25/11/18 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
Just tried the .exe file whilst connected to the MJ. A screen pops up briefly then goes, no idea what it is or if it's doing anything.

I tried the .exe on my machine (win 10 64, no mj connected);
I think you have to be in a 'dos' prompt (command shell / powershell)
it will then open its screens (licence agreement then what software components to install)

Nickp

posted on 25/11/18 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oddified
If your on Win7, check it is NOT 64bit. Many old types of software which need the serial port only work properly with a 32bit machine. If it is 64bit, don't bother trying to run the software in compatibility mode, it won't help you.

Ian

It is 32bit Ian

Nickp

posted on 25/11/18 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:

I tried the .exe on my machine (win 10 64, no mj connected);
I think you have to be in a 'dos' prompt (command shell / powershell)
it will then open its screens (licence agreement then what software components to install)

Interesting and thanks. I'll give it a go once I've worked out how to

gremlin1234

posted on 26/11/18 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
...Interesting and thanks. I'll give it a go once I've worked out how to

you should be able to open the mjljConfig_v3.0.0b2.exe file as an archive (7 zip)

if neither of these work for you, I can unzip the files and host them somewhere

Nickp

posted on 26/11/18 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Just been trying to connect and download SW via a cmd window.
It's taking the command but seems that it still can't open the serial port.

C:\Users\ENICPIC\Desktop\MJfiles\release_2.5.0\source\configurator\lib>hc08sprg
mjlJunior_2.5.0.s19
usage: hc08sprg port[:][S|D|?] [speed] file
port: D ... dual wire mode (default)
port:S ... single wire mode
port:? ... detect single/dual wire mode
speed ... speed in kbps
file ... S19 file

port:S 3400 mjlJunior_2.5.0.s19
Warning: can not get default comm config (port:S)
Can't open serial port port:S

port:d 3400 mjlJunior_2.5.0.s19
Warning: can not get default comm config (port:d)
Can't open serial port port:d

port:? 3400 mjlJunior_2.5.0.s19
Warning: can not get default comm config (port:?)
Can't open serial port port:?

[Edited on 26/11/18 by Nickp]

gremlin1234

posted on 26/11/18 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Just been trying to connect and download SW via a cmd window.
It's taking the command but seems that it still can't open the serial port.

C:UsersENICPICDesktopMJfilesrelease_2.5.0sourceconfiguratorlib>hc08sprg
mjlJunior_2.5.0.s19
usage: hc08sprg port[:][S|D|?] [speed] file
port: D ... dual wire mode (default)
port:S ... single wire mode
port:? ... detect single/dual wire mode
speed ... speed in kbps
file ... S19 file

port:S 3400 mjlJunior_2.5.0.s19
Warning: can not get default comm config (port:S)
Can't open serial port port:S

port:d 3400 mjlJunior_2.5.0.s19
Warning: can not get default comm config (port:d)
Can't open serial port port:d

port:? 3400 mjlJunior_2.5.0.s19
Warning: can not get default comm config (port:?)
Can't open serial port port:?

[Edited on 26/11/18 by Nickp]

whey are you using 3400 as a speed?
the standard speeds should be 4800, or for later units 38400

I am sending you a pm/u2u with link to unzipped v3 sw

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.