Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lotus Eclat V8 project....
Nickp

posted on 7/6/19 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
Lotus Eclat V8 project....

Now the photo upload's working again I can put some pics up of my latest project.
It's a tatty old 1978 Lotus Eclat that came with no engine / box off an old mate.
Chassis seems good and I'm planning to fit a Lexus 4.3 vvti V8 mated to a BMW Getrag 260 box (from an E30 with overdrive 5th)

As I found it-

Description
Description

Body lifted off chassis-

Description
Description

Trial fit of engine-

Description
Description

The V8-

Description
Description

[Edited on 7/6/19 by Nickp]

Partofthechaos

posted on 7/6/19 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Nice find! Please keep us up to date with progress!
obfripper

posted on 7/6/19 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
I have got some lotus factory manuals if you get stuck with anything.

Description
Description

Dave

big_wasa

posted on 8/6/19 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Another car I should of bought when they where worth feck all. Still being a lotus I would probaly struggle to get in/out.

It would be great if you can do a bit of a project diary / blog.

SJ

posted on 8/6/19 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
That will be awesome!
Nickp

posted on 8/6/19 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by obfripper
I have got some lotus factory manuals if you get stuck with anything.

Description
Description

Dave

Nice one cheers

Nickp

posted on 8/6/19 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Another car I should of bought when they where worth feck all. Still being a lotus I would probaly struggle to get in/out.

It would be great if you can do a bit of a project diary / blog.

I didn't pay much for it at all but it does need a LOT of work. I got lucky with the chassis as someone must've had the body off previously and gave it a good lashing of hammerite. I'm getting it blasted and painted properly once I've made the engine/gearbox mounts.

Nickp

posted on 8/6/19 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Car was originally metallic brown, very 70's!! Looking at painting it Lotus Lemon Yellow

Description
Description

big_wasa

posted on 8/6/19 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm that’s giving me ideas, maybe I should leave the v6 in the back of the garage.
Nickp

posted on 8/6/19 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Hmm that’s giving me ideas, maybe I should leave the v6 in the back of the garage.

I was thinking about putting a V6 in it but I had a V8 itch that needed scratching I got the engine and a Phoenix loom at a very good price off a mate as his project (MX5) ended up been a non starter.

Schrodinger

posted on 9/6/19 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
I'm quite a long way from you in Norfolk, but the guys who did the bodywork and paint on my stylus both used to work for Lotus and have done a number of bodywork restos, you can see a Europa in the background in this photo

[img][/img]

If you want any contact details let me know.

Keith
Aviemore

Nickp

posted on 18/11/19 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Finally got going again on the Lotus. Haynes has been shipped off to a mates for the winter to give me some space to get the chassis out from under the body. Engine / gearbox mounts now made and all sat in the chassis now. Tried dropping the body over the whole lot but that wasn't happening due to the width of the heads. So, plan B, fit the body back on and drop the engine/box in from the top. Minor trimming needed to the engine bay but it's all sat in with clearance around it and the bonnet shuts too!! Now looking for a Jag diff to see if I can make that fit too

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

alfas

posted on 6/12/19 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
the weak point n that chassis is the rear crossmember....as lotus was so clever putting some spongy insulation between x-member and body.

consecutivly this aera always remained wet and the x-member rusted from top.

lotus did not recommend (they even forbid) to repair-weld the chassis....the chassis needed to replaced whatever damage it had.

another weak point where the rubber-bushes of the ARB where its connected to the TCA on front suspension. those rubbers had most influence on the ride and steering precission of those cars.

rear suspension swingarms are also prone to rust and their chassis-side pivot-point prone to seize and tear-off
as per typical lotus design the rear drvie-shafts where used as a part of the suspension, means high stress on the u-jpoints.

Nickp

posted on 11/12/19 at 04:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alfas
the weak point n that chassis is the rear crossmember....as lotus was so clever putting some spongy insulation between x-member and body.

consecutivly this aera always remained wet and the x-member rusted from top.

lotus did not recommend (they even forbid) to repair-weld the chassis....the chassis needed to replaced whatever damage it had.

another weak point where the rubber-bushes of the ARB where its connected to the TCA on front suspension. those rubbers had most influence on the ride and steering precission of those cars.

rear suspension swingarms are also prone to rust and their chassis-side pivot-point prone to seize and tear-off
as per typical lotus design the rear drvie-shafts where used as a part of the suspension, means high stress on the u-jpoints.

Yeah, luckily my chassis is surprisingly solid if a little tatty. Once I've done all the fabrication it'll be getting blasted and painted. I'll be polybushing the front end completely and the rear is going to be pretty much all Jag, so much beefier.

Nickp

posted on 11/12/19 at 04:23 AM Reply With Quote
I've picked up a 2.87:1 XJS 'Powerlok' diff to put in and all the associated arms / shafts / hubs etc. The whole lot is only 1/2" wider than the original Lotus stuff. With such a tall diff it means I can go back to an E36 gearbox with it's 1:1 5th gear and still have a theoretical top speed of 170+mph The E30 gearbox with it's overdriven 5th was going to give me 210+mph

There's been some steady progress on getting the Jag diff mounted into the chassis this week. I've made a top plate from 3mm steel and managed to bolt the diff into position to check prop alignment etc. I've cut away just enough chassis to get it into position but will need to remove more to allow room for the inboard discs and calipers. Before I do this I intend to strengthen the chassis by welding in 1" box section along the length of the rear section then add several brace pieces to triangulate it all. Once happy with the top I'll flip the chassis to make a frame to tie the original mounting points into the base of the Jag diff. Unfortunately there wasn't really a way to rubber / poly mount the diff so the whole thing will be solidly mounted, as it is in my Haynes and some TVRs apparently. Hopefully this won't be an issue as the body is rubber mounted and therfore isolated from the chassis to a certain extent.

Can't seem to upload pics again

Oddified

posted on 11/12/19 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
I'm sure it'll be fine, i doubt you'll be using the car for long regular daily commutes so maybe a bit of noise/vibration won't matter!

Funnily enough i had the same conversation with a copper whilst in a filling station a few weeks ago in the Metro

Ian

Nickp

posted on 11/12/19 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oddified
I'm sure it'll be fine, i doubt you'll be using the car for long regular daily commutes so maybe a bit of noise/vibration won't matter!

Funnily enough i had the same conversation with a copper whilst in a filling station a few weeks ago in the Metro

Ian

It deffo won't be my 'daily' mate but I do intend to do long Euro trips in it
Been a diff from a luxury barge hopefully it'll be quieter and smoother than most
In fact Oddie, you should sign up for the next Euro road trip with me and Dave. That'd be some trio, a V8 Eclat, V8 Kitten and your V6 6R4

[Edited on 11/12/19 by Nickp]

Nickp

posted on 11/12/19 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
quote:

Ian

Been a diff from a luxury barge hopefully it'll be quieter and smoother than most
In fact Oddie, you should sign up for the next Euro road trip with me and Dave. That'd be some trio, a V8 Eclat, V8 Kitten and your V6 6R4

Just don't tell Greta, she'll have a hissy fit

Oddified

posted on 11/12/19 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ian

You'll have to let me know when your planning on your next euro trip, if i'm not away/busy i'd be up for it
Pretty much anyone on this entire forum aren't likely to be getting a Christmas card from Greta...

Ian

Nickp

posted on 11/12/19 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ian

You'll have to let me know when your planning on your next euro trip, if i'm not away/busy i'd be up for it
Pretty much anyone on this entire forum aren't likely to be getting a Christmas card from Greta...

Ian

2021, my 50th year on this earth, put it in your diary. Give me something to aim for. Lotus won't be 'finished' but hopefully it'll be capable of a high speed thrash round some of Europes more challenging roads

Nickp

posted on 7/1/20 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Previous owner of my Lotus has just popped up on another forum and is sending me the cars history, MOTs and photos. He did a body offf resto which explains why the chassis survived long enough for me to attack it with a grinder

https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/102742-loxus-eclat-v8/?&page=3#comments

Oddified

posted on 7/1/20 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
I had similar for the standard Metro when i bought it, they gave me a folder of every invoice, service and mot from when they bought the car from new!. Made for interesting reading.

Ian

Nickp

posted on 14/1/20 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Bit more work on the mounting of the Jag diff. Much more challenging than getting the engine / box mounted!! Bracket bolts to where the original diff mounting points were on the chassis.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Nickp

posted on 20/1/20 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Bit more fabrication work done on the diff cradle.....

Description
Description

And got it sat on the Jag axle and test fitted a wheel for the first time....

Description
Description

Description
Description

[Edited on 20/1/20 by Nickp]

Nickp

posted on 27/3/20 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
Things are progressing steadily on the old Eclat and I seem to have a bit more time at the moment due to CV19
A major change is that I've had to give up on fitting the inboard disc brakes on the first IRS I bought. I got the discs mounted OK but it was physically impossible to mount the calipers especially the handbrake ones due to them clashing with the chassis. I was looking at various aftermarket caliper solutions but space was limited and cost was high. After some googling, which I wish I'd done earlier, I found out that the later XJ6 (X300 94-97) used a similar diff setup but had outboard discs instead. So mixing and matching the parts would give me a near ideal soution for my car So, the chassis has now been blasted, the rear section rebuilt to go around the diff and the front crossmember braced / strengthened internally before boxing it back in.
I'm currently working on a handbrake soultion which seems to be going to plan. It consists of welding the original Jag hub cable ends onto ALKO connectors which slot onto a pair of 770mm trailer handbrake cables. These connect to a balance bar that the original Lotus cable will pull on once shortened. Fingers crossed.
I've also sourced a pair of exhaust manifolds from a 'Soarer'. These are much tighter to the cylinder heads and I've tested fitted them fine into the chassis / body. They still need to point forward and I've managed to loop them back around the engine mounts so I can build the rest of the system from that point.

Engine / box and diff in place to measure up for a custom prop-

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Modified Soarer manifold-

Description
Description

Description
Description

Handbrake cable bracket-

Description
Description

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.