Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Metal, and were it came from
steve m

posted on 21/6/19 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Metal, and were it came from

This may sound odd, but when I am out and about, I look around, and wherever I am, you will see METAL, doesn't matter what type, but the stuff is everywhere

It could be the cars, the trains, the rails, signs, the metal barriers that we all have to look at on motorways, bridges, boats, aeroplanes, think of all the ships, that have been sunk over the years, 1000s of tons of METAL, and all at the bottom of the sea, the list is pretty well infinite!

Yet, we have to think, that EVERY single bit of metal, has been brought up from the ground, refined, and smelted into ingots, and then moved onto what ever it will end up as

This Planet is pretty well amazing, and how much is still under our feets

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

snapper

posted on 21/6/19 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
I think you should put the cork in the bottle and have a little lie down

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

steve m

posted on 21/6/19 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
So, your not a fan of what we have, and can achieve in 300 ish years, since the Industrial revolution

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Benzine

posted on 21/6/19 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
I often think the same when I see so much metal around. Also when I see roads and think how much material and energy went into them. It's amazing.

Also, how much steel, aluminum, copper, titanium etc is used in most cars. The amount is mind boggling. Nobody has ever voiced concern over this, and suddenly some people are worried about lithium in battery powered EVs XD

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 21/6/19 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
I think you should put the cork in the bottle and have a little lie down

Lol

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 21/6/19 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
I often think the same when I see so much metal around. Also when I see roads and think how much material and energy went into them. It's amazing.

Also, how much steel, aluminum, copper, titanium etc is used in most cars. The amount is mind boggling. Nobody has ever voiced concern over this, and suddenly some people are worried about lithium in battery powered EVs XD

By the sounds of it, well before lithium supplys run out it will be replaced by tech already in development. Fortunately metal is one of the most successfully recycled materials we use which is just as well considering the energy required for acquiring it in the first place. It's sad in a way non recyclable alternatives like carbon fibre and plastics have replaced much of it.

steve m

posted on 21/6/19 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Im still here, and awake, not pissed, as some thought

I honestly, like Benzine said, look around and think, how the hell, did we manage to do this stuff, as a species we have grown up from a poverty stricken planet in the early 1700's (ish) yet only 300 (ish) years, have managed to do what we have, Flight being one of the biggest items, and METAL, being very heavy, is in the structure of aircraft

The industrial revolution, around 1750, must of been incredible then, and still is, but what we can achieve now, with the materials we have is incredible

only saying!!

steve

mark chandler

posted on 21/6/19 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Technology has been amazing in my lifetime, from working in a strowger clockwork exchange to the Internet, saved for a 26" TV, it was amazing to thinking nothing about the huge Sony I sit in front of now.
40inches

posted on 21/6/19 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
The quantity of stuff we get through There is a series on the box called "In the factory" I think!
Last one was a loo roll factory in Manchester, they make 700,000 rolls a DAY!!! In one factory.

02GF74

posted on 21/6/19 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
For me it is tar, the stuff roads are made of. Walking or driving in a town there seeks to be a vast amount of it that must cumulatively cover huge area..... Then take a look at a satellite image to see roads are almost insignificant to the land on which they sit on.

Incidentally getting back to metals, a from memory apparently all the gold that has ever been mined would just fill 2 Olympic sized swimming pools, that's all the gold bars, jeweeand gold plated contacts in electriconics.

Whilst not a metal, there's just 30 grams TOTAL in the earth's crust of astatine.

perksy

posted on 22/6/19 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
I'm a bit surprised that Virtual reality has taken off more than I thought it might ?

A few years ago I visualized folks all sat at home with head sets on 'being a part' of a TV or film experience

[Edited on 22/6/19 by perksy]

scudderfish

posted on 22/6/19 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
And before that metal got in the ground, it was created in the heart of an exploding star.......

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.