Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MX5 donor or summer fun
ChrisW

posted on 1/8/19 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
MX5 donor or summer fun

2014 MX5 mk2.5 FOR SALE

Sold to me as a scrapper, I was going to have a go at cutting the front off to build one of those MX5 hot rods with the idea that this would the car to make mistakes on before doing the build for real. Besides, they've just cut the corn on the farm where my yard is so if anything it would have been a laugh sliding it around on the stubble.

However having looked at it it seems too good to cut up, and I've just agreed to buy a 306 cabriolet (less than 24 hours later!) so I'm in the dog house with the Mrs and one of them has to go.

Don't get me wrong though: it's pretty rotten. Someone has had a good go with filler and paint on the rear arches which is now cracking and looks pretty nasty. It's also quite crusty underneath as MX5's tend to be. That said, I've had it up in the air this evening and it seems solid enough in all the right places to get an MOT. The bodywork isn't going to win any beauty contests but it's presentable and looks the part from a distance.

It's a 1.6 unfortunately, and no slippy diff. That said, it runs and drives lovely and the odometer only shows 80-ish thousand which is consistent with the MOT history. Engine is sweet and gearbox is nice and tight. I forgot actually what sporty little things these are. Just driving it about on the drive up to my yard today with the roof down made me wonder why I don't keep it.

As it sits I'll take £450 for it. I reckon it will MOT and you can have a year of fun with it before using it as a donor, but I'm not an MOT tester hence at that price it's strictly sold as seen. The parts on it must be worth most if not all of that alone.

If it's still there next week when I've got some spare time I'll take it down the local garage and see they will put a test on it. If it passes I'll want £950.

It's sat in my yard a few miles North of Aylesbury in Bucks which has about a mile of private road leading up to it where it can be test driven without worrying about paperwork. You are also welcome to put it up on my ramp and have a look underneath.

Be quick though before I get tempted to take it out on the stubble!

[Edited on 1/8/2019 by ChrisW]

My gaff my rules

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 5/8/19 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
MOT man says ‘no chance’. And having got under it myself I agree.

So it’s a donor only, hence revised price of £295.

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
miskit

posted on 5/8/19 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
I assume you mean 2004...!!
adrianreeve

posted on 6/8/19 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Chris

Very tempted, but in France until next week. Sounds like rust has well and truly set in, but what is the running gear and suspension like? Thinking about a donor for an Exocet, so would want to use the suspension arms etc.

Thanks

Adrian

hornetV2

posted on 8/8/19 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
U2U sent
ChrisW

posted on 23/8/19 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Still for sale! Yes, it's rotten, but the running gear is spot on as it would be given it's only done 70-something thousand.

Guaranteed that it's not been out on the corn* stubble yet.... but only because I've not got around to it!

Chris

* I doubt there would be much left of the underside if I did!

My gaff my rules

gremlin1234

posted on 23/8/19 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
* I doubt there would be much left of the underside if I did!
its one way of getting oil off the underside of a car ;-)

edit: corn-blasted

[Edited on 23/8/19 by gremlin1234]

hornetV2

posted on 26/8/19 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Sent you a U2U as detailed on your thread and was up that area all this bank holiday weekend camping. Wanted to view it prior to buying but not heard anything from you so thought it was no longer for sale!!!!! Just got back from there (and so back on the internet) and seen your post of the 23rd!!!!!!!!!!
ChrisW

posted on 10/9/19 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hornetV2
Sent you a U2U as detailed on your thread and was up that area all this bank holiday weekend camping. Wanted to view it prior to buying but not heard anything from you so thought it was no longer for sale!!!!! Just got back from there (and so back on the internet) and seen your post of the 23rd!!!!!!!!!!

I messaged you back on 22nd. Didn't hear anything back, and the BH weekend came and went.

Anyway, it's still there if anyone wants it.

My gaff my rules

Rhys1985

posted on 11/9/19 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
is this a non vvti?
nick205

posted on 13/9/19 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Chris - get it in the field and give a good ragging around

Some video footage would be good to see.

[Edited on 13/9/19 by nick205]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.