Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bloody B+Q / Tradepoint
cliftyhanger

posted on 19/11/19 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Bloody B+Q / Tradepoint

Expecting a delivery of 6 tonnes of decorative chippings tomorrow.
Today spent some time at the customers address, doing some prep and parked a vehicle (eventually) outside so the bags could be craned into the garden. Blagged a lift home....

Called B+Q to see if they could give me n idea of delivery time, so if needed I could get there early.

Bloke tells me it isn't booked for delivery. "WHAAAAAT" I have an email confirming delivery for tomorrow.
But Sir, the delivery postcode doesn't have a gap in it....
WHAAAAT yu delivered to that address no problem 18 months ago when I ordered a kitchen from you? And used the stored address from the order page.
Hmm, supervisor apologetic, and has agreed to send an email explaining why the delivery isn't being made. No doubt blaming me. But I am fuming.... I have the job booked, good customers and a labourer coming. The customer will be shown the email, but it doesn't exactly help.

But a system that doesn't cope with a postcode without a gap? but did previously? And zero contact from B+Q..... Somebody needs a serious kick up the a$$

Tread carefully

SteveWalker

posted on 19/11/19 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Absolutely mad. Why they can't manage to design computer systems correctly, I don't know.

Why does it matter whether there is a space or not? If it needs one, simply make sure one is present from the start. Why prevent entry of telephone numbers with parentheses, spaces or hyphens? If they don't want them, just strip them out automatically.

One that gets me regularly is entering a password wrongly because caps-lock is on … either turn it off automatically for password entry or accept passwords where every letter is the reverse case of that expected!

[Edited on 19/11/19 by SteveWalker]

Mike Wood

posted on 20/11/19 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
'Computer says no' - how frustrating.

Any local independent suppliers left worth switching to in future?

It is the combination of service and price - good value - that is often tricky to get.

Cheers
Mike

[Edited on 20/11/19 by Mike Wood]

[Edited on 20/11/19 by Mike Wood]

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 20/11/19 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
I can recommend the Stone Warehouse as an alternative if the situation gets worse with the orange boutique.
No, I have no connection with either.
They delivered 4T of Staffordshire Pink, on time, no grief. I had no labourers, just me, a wheelbarrow, shovel and a rake so not quite the collateral grief that B+Q have invoked in your case.

nick205

posted on 20/11/19 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
A postcode with no gap...................................?????????

That's a pathetic excuse, particularly if they've delivered there before.

Online systems I've used can manage whether you enter the postcode with or without a gap. In fact I've used one that only allows you to enter a UK postcode without the gap - it simply doesn't allow you to enter spaces in the postcode field.

I'd be hammering into B&Q like crazy for this and expecting the goods for free or at a huge discount.

Hope your day/week improves.

rusty nuts

posted on 20/11/19 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
No wonder they are struggling with their sales figures!
cliftyhanger

posted on 20/11/19 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
They claim "out of pocket" expenses are not covered. And despite the supervisor trying to appease me with a shoulder to cry on, no more was likely to be forthcoming.
Problem is the customer wanted this stuff as a decorative gravel, and it is way cheaper (about £300) than anybody else. Customer is OK with me, not impressed with B+Q but wants to re-arrange.
I have spent the day painting and working out a way to re-wire a poorly place consumer unit that feeds 4 submains.... Head has been scratched and I think I have it sussed. Same customer in another part of the building..... The bill for all the bits will be about £400. Turns out 25mm SWA cable is quite expensive

r1_pete

posted on 20/11/19 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
B&Q are no doubt fobbing you off...

They wont have an in house built IT system, it’ll be a commercially available customised product, I’d lay odds on it working fine postcode gap or not. They’ll have f***ed up and using it as an excuse.

[Edited on 20/11/19 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 21/11/19 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
B&Q are no doubt fobbing you off...

They wont have an in house built IT system, it’ll be a commercially available customised product, I’d lay odds on it working fine postcode gap or not. They’ll have f***ed up and using it as an excuse.

[Edited on 20/11/19 by r1_pete]

Sounds a fair bet to me, I think I'd put a few quid on that as well!

AlexXtreme

posted on 22/11/19 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
They did develop much of their software in-house or use direct contractors to do I have been told by a friend who worked at Kingfisher group as an IT project manager. The IT dept is the biggest dept of the headquarter with over 300 direct employees! Mind you this could be the problem as the everyone was given impossible deadlines to achieve with limited resources and were continually off with sickness due to stress. My friend had to quit and take 6 months off to to avoid having a breakdown ;-(
slingshot2000

posted on 22/11/19 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
25mm cable expensive 🤔🤔, compared to 1.0mm twin and earth maybe. Try it against pricing 70mm 3 core SWA. . . . . . . . . .

I am currently second fixing a £million+ house, has over a mile of twin&earth in it + alarms + cctv cables.

Next house is 500m away, Power Grid have today refused to connect it up as cable has been wrongly species. It is buried under a VERY nice block paved drive. Shame it's not in a duct to facilitate pulling in the correct cable.

gremlin1234

posted on 22/11/19 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slingshot2000
as cable has been wrongly species.
what it has spots, not stripes on the earth connection?

cliftyhanger

posted on 25/11/19 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Had to chase B+Q today as they have not contacted me as promised.
Poor girl I spoke too sounded terrified when I asked he to check the notes once I had cleared "data protection"

Anyway, "JIm" the manager has now sent me an email to show my customer saying no space in postcode was the problem! And despite a promise they would call to confirm the new delivery date, that never happened, but it has appeared on the email. So 5th December is the date.

Time will tell if they can get it right this time.

Now, my Ford C max has developed a rumbly wheel bearing at 20 months old and 11K (odd) but the dealer collected it today 4 weeks after being booked in. George the service desk "oik" has displeased me by trying to fob me off and twice not calling me. Word has got round, as the chappie who picked the car up was very apologetic, and called me later to confirm my diagnosis was correct and it should be returned tomorrow once fixed.

Who is going to upset me next?

David Jenkins

posted on 25/11/19 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger

Who is going to upset me next?

Ahh - a challenge!

Mike Wood

posted on 25/11/19 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hope your internet connection and broadband is holding up!

Cheers
MIke

cliftyhanger

posted on 25/11/19 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Wood
Hope your internet connection and broadband is holding up!

Cheers
MIke

Just changed to Virgin. Having had ongoing issues via the BT line despite several suppliers over the years, and a steady stream of replacement routers.
So took the plunge and signed up to a basic virgin contract. The fitter was a decent lad, and VERY happy that I had sorted a route and I was happy to go up a ladder to feed the cable etc. He even got a cuppa and sat around for 10 mins while I did teh cabling, he was dead chuffed as was I that he was letting me do it my way.

So far a reliable signal.

BUT I know I have a water company to lock horns with in the near future. Some peeps moved into a flat, gave the address slighty wrong (used a B insetad of basement) and the water company have assumed it is a new property, won't accept tenants have made an error. And I am not on teh account, but now nobody is in at the flat that exists. They are threatening to cut off the supply of something. All because of a simple error that they can't see!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.