Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Nurburgring crash
Fandango

posted on 14/11/17 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Nurburgring crash

Shocking multiple shunts;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JYLUL9MRyQ&feature=youtu.be

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson

jossey

posted on 14/11/17 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Saw this the other day. He looked and sounded very calm when someone smashed into his car.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
martinnitram

posted on 14/11/17 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Nasty.
Wondered why he stopped, did he know the driver in front, or could he not get through ?

Been going over to the ring for many years and when ever ive been behind a crash ive managed to slip through the wreckage and carry on without incident, not a very good Samaritan I know, but exactly for the reason seen in that youtube clip.
You just add to the carnage, and it didn't do him much good trying to help there, unfortunately for him.

gaz_gaz

posted on 14/11/17 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
fuck me. that TT hit hard!!!
hopefully everyone was ok

bi22le

posted on 14/11/17 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
No one seriously injured apparently although the guy in the Audi near the end had to be cut out.

Apparently there were meant to be marshals and the on in that area had gone home early!?!?!?!?!

The camera guy did a good job in my eyes, what was his language \ accent? I suspect he could be a local that had realised the danger and did his best to slow people down. If it was not for him there could of been fatalities.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

CosKev3

posted on 14/11/17 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Lad filming is Dutch, regular at the ring.

The original crash was caused by a porsche apparently dropping it's oil.

watsonpj

posted on 14/11/17 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
the guy walking up the circuit on the track side of the barrier was looking to get on the Darwin awards list.
SJ

posted on 15/11/17 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Nasty.
Wondered why he stopped, did he know the driver in front, or could he not get through ?

Been going over to the ring for many years and when ever ive been behind a crash ive managed to slip through the wreckage and carry on without incident, not a very good Samaritan I know, but exactly for the reason seen in that youtube clip.
You just add to the carnage, and it didn't do him much good trying to help there, unfortunately for him.

I agree the guys stopping and trying to help probably made things worse.

Stu

02GF74

posted on 15/11/17 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Cleary there are some f***ing serious safety issues here.

How difficult would it be for the circuit owners to develop a phone app that logs position of the car (most modern phones have GPS) and would broadcast accident location when either the car stops or the screen is hit by the driver?

Every driver would either have to install the app and have it running before going on to the circuit or else hire a phone with the app installed.

Once the accident has been confirmed, the information could be broadcast to every phone and if the driver is getting close to it, give some warning.

[Edited on 15/11/17 by 02GF74]

McLannahan

posted on 15/11/17 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

How difficult would it be for the circuit owners to develop a phone app that logs position of the car (most modern phones have GPS) and would broadcast accident location when either the car stops or the screen is hit by the driver?

Every driver would either have to install the app and have it running before going on to the circuit or else hire a phone with the app installed.

Once the accident has been confirmed, the information could be broadcast to every phone and if the driver is getting close to it, give some warning.

I'd rather be concentrating on driving to be honest - Driving round the ring was really nerve racking for me and it took every ounce of my concentration! I would not want to be looing/glancing at a phone display. The phone could be out of signal, dying battery etc....

If there were to be a system possibly some sort of audio beacon in each car to warn them of an impending accident and to slow to an agreed speed?

[Edited on 15/11/17 by McLannahan]

gaz_gaz

posted on 15/11/17 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

So now everyone's checking their phones for incident updates and lap time deltas inbetween pulling post-it notes off they're steering wheel after every corner.

It's been discussed in the past but they need to invest in warning lights all around the circuit. There's so many blind corners and crests and you have no idea what's waiting for you at the other side.
The circuit needs to be camera'd up so all of it is visable and have a control room monitoring the cameras that activate the lights immediately. It won't stop all the accidents but it certainly won't cause anymore.

02GF74

posted on 15/11/17 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
You're being silly as you both know it's possible to place a phone screen on peripheral vision so you do that need to gaze away from the road. No different really to looking at the rev counter or speedo.

Yes track lights and cameras are better but lll bet that costs loads more than what I proposed.

pmc_3

posted on 15/11/17 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by watsonpj
the guy walking up the circuit on the track side of the barrier was looking to get on the Darwin awards list.

A very well know local Brendan Keirle was killed earlier in the year running circuit side trying to warn bikes of oil on a fast part of the track

alfas

posted on 15/11/17 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
if you drive the Nordschleife you should know the risks:

the track goes up & down, often without seeing whats in front of you, due to its location there are differnt weather conditions to expect (you start dry and suddenly the track gets wet and again dry and again wet)

and most important: besides the tarmac you have hardly any verge / run-out areas as its an "old" style circuit....

Nordschleife is a very risky fun, especialy during the "Toursitenfahrten"

in the past i have driven lots of laps, during my visits, viewing races ..but meanwhile i must say: too many idiots driving around the Nordschelife, too many vehicles with different poweroutput at the same time on the track.

and to be honest: most people around the track, viewing the "touristenfahrten", escpecially at soem hot-spots like "Brünnchen" are only there for 1 reason:viewing accidents

[Edited on 15/11/17 by alfas]

McLannahan

posted on 15/11/17 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
You're being silly as you both know it's possible to place a phone screen on peripheral vision so you do that need to gaze away from the road. No different really to looking at the rev counter or speedo.

Yes track lights and cameras are better but lll bet that costs loads more than what I proposed.

That's right. I'm being silly, so is everyone that disagrees with you.

I don't think I looked at my speedo once, well possibly on the last dead straight when I went round the ring as I said, but you clearly know me better.

sdh2903

posted on 15/11/17 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
There should be red flashing lights at prone locations simple enough to do. They charge enough to drive a lap, they should have a bit more monitoring and control.

Knobends will end up closing the place, and we'll all look back and think "What a shame". Amazing it's still open in this nimby age.

bi22le

posted on 16/11/17 at 12:15 AM Reply With Quote
Apparently there was a Marshall post there that was manned that day, but he went home just before this accident!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

gaz_gaz

posted on 16/11/17 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pmc_3
quote:
Originally posted by watsonpj

A very well know local Brendan Keirle was killed earlier in the year running circuit side trying to warn bikes of oil on a fast part of the track

I hired a track prepared car from 1 of the companies on this day, Done 6 laps and was enjoying a spot of lunch when the track closed, It became apparent there had been a big accident and the track wasn't opening again that day.
Whilst driving back to drop the hired car off the brake pedal went to the floor, I managed to stop on the handbrake.
Turned out the braided brake hose had rubbed through on the tyre. Very very lucky escape for us,

alfas

posted on 16/11/17 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
the maintenance-status of the cars from this hiring company seems very poor.

they should be reported. whats the name of this company?

but this is a different matter.

look, what can you do driving on the Nordschleife and suddenly the track gets splippery (as it was with this accident)? nothing.
you could have placed 20 marchals there, they wouldnt have avoided the accident. one car lost fuel, the fuel made the track slippery and the chain reaction started.

look, there where people already stopping their cars, running back the track, warning other arriving drivers by waving their hands....but cars arrived so fast.

the area where it happend "Fuchsröhre" is one of the fastest areas on the whole track...and unfortunately one of the narrowest, too.
it also happend after a slight left, where the cars arriving with high speed could not really see, early enough, whats happening.

this said: if there would have been some marchals present a few 100 metres b4, than the result would have been different. the main accident would have had still happend, but less other cars involved.

[Edited on 16/11/17 by alfas]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.