Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Painted helmets & trackdays...
furryeggs

posted on 3/10/17 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Painted helmets & trackdays...

Do helmets used at track days need approval before use? I randomly got one from an arts and crafts show @ melbourne near donnington the other weekend. Its and older AGV full face Type A but the approval stickers on the outside were un readable so got removed when i painted it... Will it need inspecting before I'm allowed on a track day?

This is the lovely pink and purple helmet all masked up ready, lightly sanded as to not damage it and give a key for the water based acrylic primer.

[img][/img]

Masked up and sprayed in the same colours to suit the car.
[img][/img]

Vinyl stencils cut and applied re masked and sprayed.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Final clear coat and my race number vinyl cut and applied.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

And before someone starts saying you can't paint helmets. Yes you can. All type A composite helmets are safe to paint. Type b polycarbonate plastic helmets shouldn't be painted.

loggyboy

posted on 3/10/17 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
No TDO i know of currently ask for approval of or inspects helmets.

Mistral Motorsport

bi22le

posted on 3/10/17 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
You will be fine (no guarantee given!).

I have never heard or seen any helmet checking. Considering many allow open face and t-shirts in tin tops, the only open top rule is that it is a full face helmet.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

r1_pete

posted on 3/10/17 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Helmet approval stickers are checked on bike trackdays, mine has beed examined on every track event Ive done.

Its probably different for cars but if you get a scrutineer who does both you might get questions....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 3/10/17 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete

Its probably different for cars but if you get a scrutineer who does both you might get questions....

Definitely different.. there are no scrutineers on car days.

Mistral Motorsport

tims31

posted on 4/10/17 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
As a former race scrutineer the main thing to check is it is in good condition but also, somewhere in the helmet is a production date sticker which tells you the age of the helmet. The age used to be no older than 10 years past production although international regs were different. The label is usually either sown onto the helmet strap or peel back the lining and the sticker is normally stuck to the inner protection with a quarter production date.

HTH

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

miskit

posted on 4/10/17 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
I know you got the actual question answered but just to say that is a fantastic re-spray job!
furryeggs

posted on 4/10/17 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by miskit
I know you got the actual question answered but just to say that is a fantastic re-spray job!

Thanks... Seeing as it cost next to nothing I’m happy enough with it. The hexagon patterns not perfect as it was an after thought but you only notice it close up.

02GF74

posted on 15/11/17 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
From my days as a motorcyclist, painting helmets was frowned upon as the paint may react and thus weaken the shell. Ok on a show helmet that is for show only but not so clever on one whose purpose is to stop your brains oozing out from a crack in your skull.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.