Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SPOTTED: At Brands, a well known car on here
bi22le

posted on 21/8/19 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
SPOTTED: At Brands, a well known car on here

I instantly recognised this car today. It was for sale quite recently but also the seller on here is a LCB regular. Dr Jones or Derick or something. . .

Anyways, the new owners love the car and wanted to know more about it. They had never heard or LCB so I obviously pointed them in the direction of the best car forum on the web!!

If the new owners I met today are on here, welcome. I took a couple of pics of your car on track but your day was cur short so not many. U2U me your email and ill send them across.

Spotted at brands
Spotted at brands

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 21/8/19 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
The Life-Taker, my fist race car.

Can't belive it still has my hand painted snake on the nose cone.

A proper 'locost' bitsa, part RGB race car, part hillclimber, part MNR, part MK, part Westy Megabusa with parts bought from 1/2 the members of LCB

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
bi22le

posted on 21/8/19 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Well it lives in London now and is being shared as a track day car.

The diff came loose which is why they stopped running. They were keen to find out more about the car and as it's such a bitsa, they may need all the info they can get.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

AlexSimon

posted on 22/8/19 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Guys,

Thanks for starting this thread and a heads up regarding the forum...

So yep, me and a friend of mine, Simon, picked up this bad-boy -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/opentrack-track-days/48592087532/in/album-72157710465631267/

We have been absolutely hammering the track days trying to get the most out of the british summer and done 3 sessions in 2 weeks haha, but the car unfortunately has got a couple weak points which we are currently in the process of rectifying...

1 - The diff is solid mounted and is just breaking the fixings - the welding/set up isn't the best so we are going to cut out a few of the bars and replace them with some thicker bars and change the bolting set up slightly which should resolve that issue.

2 - the shifter - Theres a smart little carbon fibre device that links the shifter to the gear leaver on the engine - smashing through the gears has fractured it, so its a little twisty - so going to try and re make this is something different but build some kind of stopper on the shifter to ensure we don't over extend the shifter and cause a bigger problem elsewhere

3 - Small oil leak around what i think is the crank case??? or might be the gear box end - i don't know - but seems it just needs a new gasket and potentially some gasket sealer

I fairly mechanically minded but have never worked on a bike engine, so if there's anyone that has hand similar problems as above and you have found solutions then please let me know if there's something off the shelf that we can buy etc as all help is much appreciated.

I am a bit concerned with the shifter bracket as i feel there's a reason a carbon fibre one is fitted and not a solid alluminium one..

Simon and I will be doing regular track days on a monthly basis, mainly brands hatch as its on our door step so feel free to come over and say hello....

its currently running a 900cc Fire-blade engine as a heads up... and could do with a bit more power i think... lol....

Thanks in advance....

ennten

posted on 22/8/19 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Great to see this car out and about again.

I was the 2nd owner of the shark car,
having bought it from Dr Derek Dr in 2015.
My first outing was also at Brands.

The carbon shifter bracket is a pair of hollow triangles, yes?
I recall it had some play in it back then, but it did the job.

Is there still a secret message painted on the underside of the floor?

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 22/8/19 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Is this the car I made the custom wishbones for ???

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

AlexSimon

posted on 22/8/19 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ennten
Great to see this car out and about again.

I was the 2nd owner of the shark car,
having bought it from Dr Derek Dr in 2015.
My first outing was also at Brands.

The carbon shifter bracket is a pair of hollow triangles, yes?
I recall it had some play in it back then, but it did the job.

Is there still a secret message painted on the underside of the floor?

It is such a fun and well set up car. Genuinely can not believe just how well it handles.

Yep correct. Two carbon triangles. Do you think a solid bracket would be ok, or is it better to have something with a little flex in it?

Haha I don’t know about a secret message... but I will go looking for it at the weekend!

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 22/8/19 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
I think that "smashing through the gears" is probably the source of both the selector and diff issues.

You can literally change gear with one finger, it just drops in when the revs match. It's probably only the flex in the carbon rocker that has saved the gearbox. Harsh changes is also probably whats done the diff mounts in.

Drive it smoothly, match the revs and it will be faster and last much longer.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
AlexSimon

posted on 22/8/19 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors
I think that "smashing through the gears" is probably the source of both the selector and diff issues.

You can literally change gear with one finger, it just drops in when the revs match. It's probably only the flex in the carbon rocker that has saved the gearbox. Harsh changes is also probably whats done the diff mounts in.

Drive it smoothly, match the revs and it will be faster and last much longer.

More then likely. The upshifts are fairly smooth, it’s the clutchless downshifts that I think are what’s not helping the diff.

The carbon rocker I think it damaged by over extending the shifter rod. It’s the first time either of us have driven a bike engines car so still learning what the car likes and doesn’t like.

Will keep you updated with what we improve along our way!

With regards to the engine that we have in it (900cc Fireblade) are there any improvements that can be done to it?

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 22/8/19 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Clutch less downshifts! Theres your problem, it doesn't do that. You need to clutch on the way down the box.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

mark chandler

posted on 23/8/19 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
regards to the engine that we have in it (900cc Fireblade) are there any improvements that can be done to it?

Lock up clutch and turbo, no need to touch the rest just run 7- 8 psi on optimax, puts it at around 200hp which is the limit of the gearbox.

Pictures in my archive

AlexSimon

posted on 24/8/19 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
regards to the engine that we have in it (900cc Fireblade) are there any improvements that can be done to it?

Lock up clutch and turbo, no need to touch the rest just run 7- 8 psi on optimax, puts it at around 200hp which is the limit of the gearbox.

Pictures in my archive

Just had a quick look through a few pictures and looks well!

What’s the drivability like with the turbo, is it a fairly smooth delivery or does it break traction every time it comes on boost?

Not looking to do anything too crazy to be honest, ideally I want to keep the engine NA.

Derek -
As I said above I’m completely new to this bike stuff so have no idea what’s possible and what’s not so in looking forward to learning!

Can I send you a direct message Derek with a few questions please? Looking to retro fit a gear indicator and have some gerneral questions regarding up keep and would appreciate some guidance.

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 24/8/19 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Just drop me an email

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

cosmicicecreamman

posted on 20/9/19 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Looking to retro fit a gear indicator...

I have a gear indicator and wiring loom for sale, if you're interested drop me a PM.

Cheers

Stephen

[Edited on 20/9/19 by cosmicicecreamman]

[Edited on 20/9/19 by cosmicicecreamman]

AlexSimon

posted on 20/9/19 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
I just tried to PM you but couldn’t get it to work!

Is it a straight forward plug in and play Jobby or will it need some kind of programming.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.