Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec Engine change in Phoenix
OwenSP

posted on 10/3/18 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec Engine change in Phoenix

Hi all,

I have a mk4 striker/early phoenix with outboard suspension that I'm about to do an engine change on, crossflow to silvertop zetec. Does anyone know if the current mounts will be usable with the zetec? Or if the engine will foul any part of the chassis?

Thanks in advance

SCAR

posted on 11/3/18 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Zetec engine block requires different mounting plates as the bolt hole pattern is different to a cross flow. These plates can be bought cheaply off ebay. Also your existing mounts probably wont put the engine in the right position. Break out the angle grinder and welder.
I bought new zetec/phoenix mounts from Sylva but as my chassis was not current I had to cut and weld one of them.

OwenSP

posted on 14/3/18 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply Scar, what chassis do you have and how long ago did you purchase the mounts from Sylva?

Was there any trouble with the width of the sump and the chassis?

SCAR

posted on 15/3/18 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
My Phoenix chassis dates from about 1999 but the build only started in 2016. Its a rocker arm chassis that came with crossflow engine mounts. As things had moved on so much before I started the build I gave up on the crossflow engine and opted for a 2.0 zetec blacktop. The crossflow mounts wouldn't work so I bought a set of Zetec mounts from RAW/STRIKER cars in Hereford. Because the current chassis is different to mine the mounts wouldn't work without some cutting and welding on one of them. You will need a shallow sump to get the engine under the bonnet, I looked at the steel one made by GBS but in the end stumped up for a Raceline alloy one. (expensive but a nice piece of kit). I also bought RAWs exhaust manifold which I thought was really good value.
RAW thought I would need to remove the round tube upper diagonal chassis brace in the engine bay to clear the engines inlet system but I think I am going to get away with leaving it in place. They have removed this tube from several older cars without issue and don't include it in their current chassis. You will need to install the engine as low as possible and on a slight angle, the front being moved over to the nearside
I've also mounted the bonnet on hinges fixed to the reinforced bulkhead so the bonnet now hinges from the rear giving much better engine bay access. Not done anything over winter but hoping to start again shortly.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.