Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sylva Riot - Super Lap Scotland
cosmicicecreamman

posted on 23/5/16 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Sylva Riot - Super Lap Scotland

Hello,

Thought I would put up a few photos of my Sylva Riot at Knockhill's Super Lap Scotland championship. The championship is based on power - weight with all cars on 1b listed tyres. I got the lap record in my class at round 1 but after a trying time at rounds 2 & 3 with handling issues and a damaged throttle cable it got beaten by a 10th in round 3.

As far as I am aware Knockhill is the only circuit in the country which has a license to run in the reverse direction which means for double header events you run one day in the normal direction and the other in reverse.

Cheers

Steve

sdh2903

posted on 23/5/16 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Nice work. I like the knockhill circuit in reverse. Your a brave boy with them kerbs they are especially brutal!!
peter030371

posted on 23/5/16 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Great pictures and you are certainly giving it some beans

Nice exhaust solution too...why have I not seen this before?

AdamR20

posted on 23/5/16 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Good stuff

Do you have any video?

How do you find the ZZS compared to other tyres you've used?

cosmicicecreamman

posted on 23/5/16 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter030371

My brother and I made the exhaust in this style to counterbalance the weight of the engine and driver instead of having it hanging out the back.

I got pulled up at the last round and told to change it for next time as it is not compliant with the MSA blue book which states, 'all exhaust outlets terminating behind the mid-point of the wheelbase of the vehicle'.

cosmicicecreamman

posted on 23/5/16 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdamR20
Good stuff

Do you have any video?

How do you find the ZZS compared to other tyres you've used?

No, don't have any videos unfortunately - I'll be investing in a camera set up soon so will try and get some footage up of the next round.

The ZZS are AMAZING both wet and dry giving huge amounts of grip and being very progressive!!! I was running slicks before and bought R888's as a wet tyre but quickly found out the R888's weren't great in the wet and I wanted a tyre that would do both wet and dry running - I never ran the R888's in the dry. I bought the ZZS as a good all rounder for wet and dry running. I'm currently 0.6sec off my slick times in the dry (57sec on slicks and 57.6sec on ZZS), but 4-5sec quicker in the wet than the R888's. I did have to change spring rates, rake of car, camber angles and shocker setting to get the correct set up with the ZZS's though.

AdamR20

posted on 23/5/16 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks a lot for the info - seems all the feedback from the ZZS has been great so far...

Re: exhaust - could you just reduce the length of the plain section between the manifold and can, then make a 180 loop out of the can to get the exit a bit further back, rather than re-engineering the whole thing? Should end up same weight overall hopefully, and keep your weight distribution the same (good idea, btw).

[Edited on 23/5/16 by AdamR20]

Phil_1471

posted on 23/5/16 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Slightly off topic..... What size wheels/tyres with what hubs are on your Riot?

You can live in a car but can't rally a house

cosmicicecreamman

posted on 23/5/16 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phil_1471

I run 13" x 6" front and 13" x 8" rear. It originally had 6" wide all round but I couldn't get any balance with the car roasting up its rear tyres while the front were still cold.

cosmicicecreamman

posted on 23/5/16 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cosmicicecreamman
quote:
Originally posted by Phil_1471

I run 13" x 6" front and 13" x 8" rear. It originally had 6" wide all round but I couldn't get any balance with the car roasting up its rear tyres while the front were still cold.

Just realised - only gave you half an answer.

Tyres are 185 / 55 / 13 front and 215 / 55 / 13 rear

The front uses race leda adjustable uprights with wheel spacers, and the rear has custom uprights with Sierra hubs.

Phil_1471

posted on 24/5/16 at 05:21 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks, explains why It doesn't look like I can get 13's on my riot. (On original set up) :-(

You can live in a car but can't rally a house

Paul A

posted on 24/5/16 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Well it's been a while since I saw that car. Previously owned and built by my brother, some bespoke bits on their like the rear uprights. Great to see it looking better than when it was sold, and competing too.
Keep up the good work. Does it still have the 1800 zetec in?

Paul A

cosmicicecreamman

posted on 25/5/16 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul A
Well it's been a while since I saw that car. Previously owned and built by my brother, some bespoke bits on their like the rear uprights. Great to see it looking better than when it was sold, and competing too.
Keep up the good work. Does it still have the 1800 zetec in?

Hi Paul, we spoke on the phone about 3 years ago about the Riot. I couldn’t come down to see it / buy it as my wife was pregnant. We eventually drove down to buy the Riot from Dave with a 4 day old baby girl – that’s one to tell her when she’s older!!!

Yes, still got the 1800 zetec and going strong!!! Quite a few changes and even more bespoke bits on her now with the most obvious being the cage and the side exit exhaust (which I have to change as doesn't comply with the blue book - even though it got scrutineered countless times previously).

Still competing with a few rounds of the SMRC last year and doing the Super Lap Scotland championship this year. The Riot had the class lap record but after a frustrating weekend my record got beaten by a 10th by a factory built ex Works Seat Supercopa. The championship is based on wheel horse power – weight and the Riot is in the middle of the class. Even though I'm in the middle of the class the Riot's still holding it’s own with the cars at the top of the class.

Tell Dave I say hello and my family has now expanded to three kids, and if you or Dave would like any more photo’s / info on the Riot let me know.

[Edited on 26/5/16 by cosmicicecreamman]

dai1983

posted on 25/5/16 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice looking car. I guess the exhaust would be a lot noisier and smokey for a passenger on the road? That's if it passed an IVA!
cosmicicecreamman

posted on 25/5/16 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dai1983
Very nice looking car. I guess the exhaust would be a lot noisier and smokey for a passenger on the road? That's if it passed an IVA!

Cheers. Exhaust hasn't been designed for passenger or IVA, as its a track car, but to improve the balance of the car. It's running a steel block Zetec so I'm trying to move as much weight to the front of the car to counterbalance th engine.

cosmicicecreamman

posted on 10/7/16 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by peter030371

My brother and I made the exhaust in this style to counterbalance the weight of the engine and driver instead of having it hanging out the back.

I got pulled up at the last round and told to change it for next time as it is not compliant with the MSA blue book which states, 'all exhaust outlets terminating behind the mid-point of the wheelbase of the vehicle'.

So, as discussed before, I got pulled up for the exhaust not being MSA compliant. After a bit of work (from my brother who is a master fabricator - and all while I sit on an oil rig in the middle of the North Sea) the exhaust is now MSA compliant and coming in at a rather respectable 93db.

Next round of Super Lap Scotland is 30th / 31st July so still a lot do and not much time at home to get it done. The joys of working away from home!!! Hopefully cured the handling issues and get my class lap record back.

Oh yes, if anyone has any experience with Avon ZZR's v's Avon ZZS's in the dry I would really appreciate any feedback - cheers.

[Edited on 10/7/16 by cosmicicecreamman]

bi22le

posted on 10/7/16 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
I would of been tempted to double silencer that exhaust. On can on the run forward, 180deg bend, then another can on top running back. It would be nice and quiet then.

Then only disadvantge would be the weight, which it seems you dont mind adding if its in the right places.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

cosmicicecreamman

posted on 10/7/16 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
I would of been tempted to double silencer that exhaust. On can on the run forward, 180deg bend, then another can on top running back. It would be nice and quiet then.

Then only disadvantge would be the weight, which it seems you dont mind adding if its in the right places.

We did think about doing something similar to that but it would look a bit Heath Robinson It's only putting out 93db so noise isn't an issue.

The goal is not to add weight but distribute it to the correct areas. There is a lot of weight over the rear axle so I've been trying to move weight forward. The championship I'm doing is based on wheel horse power to weight and I'm in the middle of the class so any additional power or reduction in weight is a bonus.

jeffw

posted on 11/7/16 at 05:17 AM Reply With Quote
All Avon ZZR tyres are now List 1C (expect two specific OE coded Caterham ZZRs).

On a track ZZRs will likely out-perform ZZS but around 1 sec per lap.

cosmicicecreamman

posted on 11/7/16 at 05:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
All Avon ZZR tyres are now List 1C (expect two specific OE coded Caterham ZZRs).

On a track ZZRs will likely out-perform ZZS but around 1 sec per lap.

It would be the 1B listed 15156 and 15157 marked ZZRs.

Have you used them Jeff?

jeffw

posted on 11/7/16 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
They are the same compound as the normal Medium ZZR (rather than the A24 compound sprint). I've used the mediums and they are the best old 1B for more than a couple of laps.

There is an argument that the MSA will restrict the OE ZZRs to the car that is was OE on, ie certain Caterhams. I understand this was their intention but it wasn't written that way in the blue book so expect that to change.

cosmicicecreamman

posted on 14/9/17 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
So... It's been a while since I've posted up here...

The Riot has went under a bit of a transformation. Over the winter, well, actually the end of the summer, autumn, winter, spring, and summer, I have removed the Zetec and went for a 2.0 Duratec with SBD throttle bodies, mated to a 6 speed sequential box with a paddle shift.

Still a lot to do to tidy it up but it runs and goes. After an unsuccessful 1st outing with a clutch failure I've got a track day booked for the 30th September so hopefully get some videos up after that.

Cheers

Steve

peter030371

posted on 14/9/17 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Great choice of engine, what output have you ended up with? Only ask as the inlet being so close to the bulkhead must sap some power
cosmicicecreamman

posted on 15/9/17 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks, it made 196bhp on part throttle on a standard engine. Only realised it wasn't making full throttle when someone pointed out that the cable termination on the throttle bodies was stopping the full travel, apparently it's a known issue with the SBD throttle bodies which I didn't know about - my own fault.
peter030371

posted on 15/9/17 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Thanks, it made 196bhp on part throttle on a standard engine. Only realised it wasn't making full throttle when someone pointed out that the cable termination on the throttle bodies was stopping the full travel, apparently it's a known issue with the SBD throttle bodies which I didn't know about - my own fault.

I guess you effectively have the '203' kit so 196 is close considering you where on part throttle

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.