Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: worlds slowest build
SCAR

posted on 9/10/16 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
worlds slowest build

Just found a complete sylva phoenix kit in my garage that I bought in about 2000 . I also have the suspension. rear axle etc and was intending to use an ex tvr 1660 crossflow (which I have somewhere). Decided now is the time to put it all together but having second thoughts on an engine. I have a 2.1 pinto and a zx9r waiting for a home but thinking a more modern engine like a zetec (complete new for £700) might be a better option. I have various 4 and 5 speed boxes but will need engine mounts and some other stuff, Is anyone still producing the kit or parts?
rdodger

posted on 9/10/16 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Raw cars still make them

http://www.striker-cars.co.uk/

I would agree best to go for a modern engine like the Zetec, especially as you say a new engine is so cheap.

SCAR

posted on 26/11/16 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
chassis panelling started and body ready for trial fit

[Edited on 26/11/16 by SCAR]

[Edited on 26/11/16 by SCAR]

Huttojb

posted on 27/11/16 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SCAR
Just found a complete sylva phoenix kit in my garage that I bought in about 2000 .

How big is your garage???? I normal find a spanner I bought and forgot about, not half a car??

Jason

huttojb_GenTiger
huttojb_GenTiger

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don’t.

If only DEAD people understand hexadecimal - 57,005

SCAR

posted on 27/11/16 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
I have a nice double garage, which was the appeal when buying the house but the garage soon became piled to the roof with stuff. Obviously the Phoenix kit took up a fair bit of space but I've tried to ignore it as with all the clutter a build wasn't possible. A recent big birthday made me realise I need to get a move on plus I got the offer of help from a friend so we've made a start. Need to crack on as I want it finished by summer 2017, really enjoying it so far. The Phoenix has become a test run as my ambition is to build a GD T70 before I'm too decrepit to drive one. mmmm yummy

steve m

posted on 27/11/16 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Huttojb
quote:
Just found a complete sylva phoenix kit in my garage that I bought in about 2000 .

How big is your garage???? I normal find a spanner I bought and forgot about, not half a car??

Me too,

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Toprivetguns

posted on 27/11/16 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in love ! - what price do kits start at?

quote:
I have a nice double garage, which was the appeal when buying the house but the garage soon became piled to the roof with stuff. Obviously the Phoenix kit took up a fair bit of space but I've tried to ignore it as with all the clutter a build wasn't possible. A recent big birthday made me realise I need to get a move on plus I got the offer of help from a friend so we've made a start. Need to crack on as I want it finished by summer 2017, really enjoying it so far. The Phoenix has become a test run as my ambition is to build a GD T70 before I'm too decrepit to drive one. mmmm yummy

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

SCAR

posted on 27/11/16 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Never going to be "locost", prices seem similar to a top end Cobra build. My sums tally up to around £35k for a home built spider but that includes a new 450bhp v8 motor. Roof and doors add an eye watering £7k but these can be retro fitted. Kit prices start at about £10k for body and chassis plus some bits. Good news is residual prices are much better than most kit cars. It seems a good £35k build could be worth as much as £35k which is better than most kits which seem to be valued at about 75% of build cost.
To put things into perspective if your lucky enough to have £35K hanging about it would currently make you about £350 a year interest in a cash ISA
Bugger the pension fund I know where I'd rather stick my money!
The above is my assessment only, for accurate figures you would need to speak with GD.

Life............you only get one go!

SCAR

posted on 27/11/16 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
The body fits! I was worried that 17 years left standing would have caused a lot of distortion. The only warping was the sill tops which I always intended to cut away anyway. Once large sections of the sill top were removed the remainder could be persuaded to fit. We spent 3 hours fitting the body then once we were convinced all was ok we removed it again. I suppose its progress of a sort

[Edited on 27/11/16 by SCAR]

SCAR

posted on 2/1/17 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Trial fit of front suspension

I love working with clean shiney bits
I bought the recon m16 callipers from Newark 16 years ago.A nice fit but just realised they're both right hand......Do!
Wonder if they'll take them back.

[Edited on 2/1/17 by SCAR]

SCAR

posted on 25/1/17 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Started stripping the zetec cylinder head ready for a bit of diy porting and polishing and need to make sure all the valves, collets etc go back in the right place. Found this cheap plastic organiser, perfect

[img][/img]

[Edited on 25/1/17 by SCAR]

nickm

posted on 25/1/17 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
When i stripped my zetec the manual advised storing the tappets in an oil bath as they dont like being dried out might be worth tipping some oil in those compartments.
That T70 is lovely all the shows ive been to i always get drawn back to it for a 2nd and 3rd look

Good luck with the build

Nick M

SCAR

posted on 25/1/17 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
I think the oil bath advice is for the benefit of the oil seals on the silvertop's hydraulic tappets. The blacktop I have uses solid bucket and shims, nothing to dry out.
nickm

posted on 26/1/17 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Think your right mine was a Silvertop

Nick M

striker1660

posted on 19/3/17 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
if you come across anyone else with similar Pheonix panels please let me know. Just what i would like in red.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.