Board logo

Machine polisher & compound recommendation
PSpirine - 21/4/15 at 07:38 PM

Attention locost collective!!

I need some advice on doing some polishing/paint shining. However, as I want to do this at a maximum keenness rating of "average", I thought I'd stay clear of the detailing forums where I'd end up being recommended to buy some insect wax from Polynesia that costs more than the car I'm polishing.

So.

I have a 1989 Rolls Royce in that great 80's "superfade" colour of red. It's a dark red, is original paint - as a result is not perfect, but held up great.

It's a bit flat in places, and I want to bring it back to its former glory. I've also been looking at getting a decent polisher for ages as I'll be doing the bodywork on my Westfield shortly, so I'll want something that I can use to wet-sand/polish/compound that as well.

What do I need to get? I was thinking of getting something like this Meguiars DA polisher, or similar DAS Detalyo/Kestrel etc:

Meguiars Dual Action Polisher Version 2

But beyond that I'm lost... what pads do I need, what is the polish/compound I use, what order to apply it in etc.?

How does one use these to compound fresh paint/wet sand?

Again, I'm not expecting concourse bodywork (it has imperfections and is burnt through the paint on a few small sharp edges already), so reasonably priced products would be appreciated, but equally I'm quite happy to buy decent stuff if it's going to be good!

Thanks

[Edited on 21/4/15 by PSpirine]

cliftyhanger - 21/4/15 at 07:47 PM

Farecla G3 is good, in fact have a look at the whole range, some finer than others.
3M do some decent stuff too. The sort of thing bodyshops use, and hence it isn't overpriced.

mark chandler - 21/4/15 at 07:50 PM

DA's are slow, I got a silverline rotary polisher and a set of different meguires pads and compounds for my cars, you need a rotary with speed control.

Cannot help on pads, if the paint is very hard then you may need a wool pad, if soft a light pad.

Although you are trying to avoid detailing forums you need to read the advise on detailing world, they have a sticky for machine polishing.

Regards Mark

Charlie_Zetec - 21/4/15 at 09:40 PM

That's a fair amount of money for an "average" polishing job. Consider buying a £30 buffer if you're not overly into detailing.

As for products, Farecla are often used in body shops. I used to use AutoGlym products; paint renovator to start with, but found their super resin polish a bit "powdery" on finish, but worked on red a treat. Add a carnuba wax or deep shine coat on top to keep it looking good for longer.

Nowadays I use Meguiars wax (fresh paint job) and occasionally polish on older cars. Happy with the outcome; application takes longer, but less faffing at the end and no powdery residue.

Pays your money, takes your choice!

robinj66 - 22/4/15 at 06:47 PM

I've got one of these and it's been fine for home use (both grp & metal bodied cars).

I use the Farecla compounds (G3, G6 & G10)

sdh2903 - 22/4/15 at 06:59 PM

Da polisher safer but slower than rotary. I started with a DAS 6 But now use a variable speed rotary from cleanyourcar.com.
Farecla g3 is a little old hat and can be a bit rough.

Ive tried loads of compounds and polishes but I now use meguiars 105 and 205 on anything and everything With awesome results using hex logic pads. Ive used on cellulose, clearcoat and gelcoat. On faded paint and scratches.

Scuzzle - 22/4/15 at 09:54 PM

I use an adjustable speed grinder I got when it was on offer at Screwfix, ideal as a polisher just with a polishing head attached plus I use it as a grinder as well. Was only something like £35.

Slimy38 - 22/4/15 at 10:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
DA's are slow, I got a silverline rotary polisher and a set of different meguires pads and compounds for my cars, you need a rotary with speed control.

I have the same polisher, it is quicker but it's a bit risky as you can burn the paint.

Personally I just went for Autoglyms Super Resin Polish with a polisher sponge pad to apply, it's good for bringing paint out but it's not a proper paint correction. A layer of wax to protect it and it's good for 3 months or so of washing with bog standard cleaning products before it needs doing again.

[Edited on 22/4/15 by Slimy38]